Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pls advise what's less bad-Squaretrade Warranty or Mack Warranty?

Not sure where to post this, so if inappropriate, mods, pls move to the correct area.

I got a used K20d from Shutterblade last month off Ebay, and I'm approaching the 30-days from purchase limit. I wanted to get an extended warranty from Pentax, but they just advised me no-can-do since I bought it used and their warranty's non-transferrable. I've googled both Squaretrade & Mack and I'm finding equal amounts of bad & good with both. This being the internet, I tend to believe the bad over the good. The Squaretrade warranty is 1 year for $106, but they say they'll pay back the purchase price if the camera can't be fixed. The Mack warranty is 5 years for $125 or so, but it doesn't look like they'll do anything besides repair (and re-repair) the item. I've checked with my auto/home insurer, but while they're willing to cover the camera against loss/theft/catastrophic damage, they won't help if there's a mechanical failure. I need to make up my mind in the next 2 days or so. Can someone with experience with either Squaretrade or Mack advise? Thanks in advance.

07-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi Grimlock,

Jill from SquareTrade here. I could go on and on about how great I think SquareTrade is, but I also know that since I work for the company, you should probably take what I say somewhat with a grain of salt. However, look what our customers are saying about us.

SquareTrade Inc Reviews. Buying guides & consumer product reviews at Epinions.com
SquareTrade Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings
SquareTrade Reviews at NexTag.com

And you're right, one of the best parts about a SquareTrade warranty is that you'll get cash back if your item stops working (and can't be satisfactorily repaired) -- meaning you can go out and replace it with the latest and greatest or do as you please.

Good luck with your decision!

Jill
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jill,

Out of curiosity, would you happen to know how many claims are paid vs. the number of warrantees sold? Ratio or percentage would be interesting.
07-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't be sure here, but I remember hearing something about Mack being far less reputable than in the past.

07-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That's what I've found about Mack so far. Early reviews, like back in 2004 or so were pretty good, but then in the past couple of years or so they went thud. With Squaretrade, I found early bad, then relatively recent good, but then recent bad reviews. At this point, I'm starting to think I should just cross my fingers and hope my K20d is just like my K100d has been, a good & reliable unit.
07-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi there, Tom.

Claims paid out vs. warranties purchased varies pretty widely by the type of product, the brand, etc. We can't give out general numbers on claims rates, but sometimes we'll do studies on specific products and release limited data on them. Such as SquareTrade: SquareTrade's Report on Simple Vs. Smartphone Reliability

Hope this helps!

Jill
05-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #7

SquareTrade is only for electronics, and therefore does not insure lens, correct?
Is there any equivalent alternative (ie, not part of home insurance, etc.)?