Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which lens to use for night photography

I plan to do some astophotography in a couple of weeks, wondering which lens would be better. I have a new 50mm prime lens or I could use the kit lens that came with my original Pentax but also works on my K3ii. I find that the new lens gives sharper images but not sure if it's wide enough for stars, milky way etc. It does go to F1.8 which should be helpful. Thoughts???

09-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You have a few options with your gear. Try the kit lens (I assume an 18-55) at the wide end and also try your 50mm.

Wide Milky Way images: 18mm, f3.5, ISO 1600, 25 seconds to start. Skip the astrotracer for your first few shots because stars won't move much at 18mm wide. You can then use the astrotracer with longer exposures.

For a closer view of the Milky Way, use the 50mm. Test it at f1.8, f2.0, f2.4, and f2.8. Some lenses give better looking stars with less distortion when they are stopped down a bit.

Focusing is important. Use manual focus, live view, and use a bright star. Recompose your shot after focusing. Periodically recheck focus through the night.

I suggest using DNG+JPG to capture data. The JPG files will give you an immediate result. The DNG files can be processed for much better looking images.
09-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything Dead John said, plus I like to use the 2 second delay so I don't shake the camera when pressing the shutter button.
09-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you have a K-3 II it would make sense to invest in some good quality lenses. A lens often recommended for star photography is the Samyang (also sold as Rokinon) 16mm f2. Wide and good optically even wide open, but manual focus, which is why it's so affordable for the quality it actually has. The Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 is another option, also manual focus.

09-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the suggestions, I will look into the other lenses, maybe add to my Christmas wish list.
09-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just because nobody has mentioned it yet...

The lens should not be prone to flares and coma and beware of internal reflections.
The stars you want to see should not result from the lens' faults.

Michael