Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sony/KM User

My name is Tim and this is my first post in this forum.

I use the KM7D as my primary camera but it's coming to the end of it's life due to black frame illness. It doesn't happen often so I can still use it as a backup. I am looking to get a Pentax K10D as my new main camera and eventually sell off the Minolta lenses I have and move to Pentax for my wedding photography.

I'll be needing 2 zoom lenses in the ranges of wide to telephoto, does anyone have any suggestions on which 2 I should get? Does anyone in here use the Pentax K10D or other Pentax DSLR as a wedding camera and if so how good is the Pentax flash system for accuracy and ease of use?

My reason for wanting the K10D is that it has that Minolta feel to it, I hope that comment doesn't make people in here annoyed. It was what I expected the first Sony camera to look and feel like but the A100 feels very consumer like compared to my 7D and your K10D. The lenses in the Pentax system seem pretty good to with a much larger range even manual focus lenses, that was lost when Minolta went AF. Another reason, average price for a Pentax lens is almost half the price of a Sony lens. Also if I ever need a replacement body I can get one from a local shop where as I would need to go to a major city for an A100. I hope that gives you all some background.

Any help from wedding photographers regarding the Pentax system would be a great help to get kick started!!

Regards all!!

02-14-2007, 03:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The two lenses could be the DA16-45 and DA50-200, both are excellent.

If you have much more to spend, soon should be available the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 both at f/2,8. With new, ultrasonic motors.

All from Pentax.
02-14-2007, 04:03 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmmm, it's good to see Pentax SSSing their lenses, I hear they'll have weather seals to.
02-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Tim

Another couple of choices are Tamron 28-75/2.8 and Sigma 70-200/2.8 if you need the speed and both lenses are available now. No one seems to know when the two DA* lenses are coming out.

I have only got the Tamron and I am very happy with it and majority of the people who has this lens seems to praise it too. I don't have the Sigma but it is the next best thing to the Pentax FA* 80-200/2.8 and cheaper too!

If you need something wider than 28mm, then have a look at Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8, or Pentax FA20-35/4, DA16-45 or DA12-24/4 if you don't need the speed

cheers
Kenny

02-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
If you need something wider than 28mm, then have a look at Tamron 17-50/2.8
If you are talking about the kind of new one, then there isnt a pentax mount version yet. Its a shame too, if there was it would be in my bag by the morning.
02-14-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm sure the 16-50mm Pentax is releasing soon will be just as good as the Tamron 17-50mm. It is the same issue at Sony/Minolta, many people are waiting on the CZ16-80mm and a new camera body but you can guarantee that when it hits the shelves the price will be very high. I have a Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 for my 7D but I've been told the Tamron 28-75mm is better. Having used lenses beginning at 28mm on a 1.5 crop camera before I feel the need for something a little wider. Maybe It'd be best if I used the kit lens until the 16-50mm is released and go for that 50-200mm.

What about the flash system, can anybody tell me how reliable it is with the K10D? The flash system with Minolta was terrible and nothing was properly compatible with it. I bought a Sigma DG500 Super flash and only one function on the flash worked everything else was useless. I was always needing to dial in flash compensation just to get the right light.

I forgot to say that one other reason that I like the Pentax K10D is the SR which is the same or similar to AS on my camera. For awhile there I was one of a small group of people that had image stabilized M42 glass, lol.

If you have shot weddings before there are a few things you'll know that are important;

Reliability, Keep it simple (don't have tonnes of gear but back your gear up), spare batteries and patience. I just hope the K10D gives me the reliability and being a solid feeling camera it should be just what I need.
02-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a 7D as well as the K10. I agree that they are comparable cameras, and there is little differences between them in usage now that Pentax added ISO control through the OK button and wireless flash.
As for lenses, Minolta makes some great ones that are worth the money IMO. The 85/1.4 is a Zeiss design which I'd be very tempted by if it were my main system. The 135 Smooth Transition Focus is amazing, as is the 85/1.4 G and 35/1.4. There aren't comparable lenses to these (easily) available in Pentax mount. The ~$900 Pentax 31mm/1.8 Limited is going to be close to the 35/1.4 but not much cheaper. Used versions of the autofocus Pentax FA* 85/1.4 are currently selling for an insane >$1300 price. USED!

Anyway, they're both good systems. But they both have pros and cons. Minolta has some better lenses at some focal lengths. Some of the really long telephotos are scarcer in Pentax mount than in Minolta mount.

Ah, just my two cents.

02-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey Tim,

Just wondering, with wedding photography, there are so many styles to shoot. You have any sample shots and what focal lengths are you using with your 7D?
02-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll attach my gallery URL to my member ID so you can look at some of my wedding shots. My gallery is @ Zenfolio. I use my 28-210mm focal length most regularly so 42 - 315mm with the crop. That's a wide range that can be covered with 2 good zooms. Best to keep your gear as compact and as easy to use as possible. I generally have a 50mm prime lens for stills involving 1 or 2 people and a 24mm prime for small group shots.

Here's that URL for my gallery: Zenfolio | Soul Photography
02-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just read through kjao's suggestions and funny, I am saving up for that same pair of lenses. For primes I have an old 50/1.7 MF prime and I'm looking for a 28/2.8. I've got a 10-17 fisheye for certain shots where I want to get artsy. or if things are very tight. The only thing I would add to that is a flash and you should be all set.

BTW nice photos!
02-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have a flash for my Minolta kit but I have never been happy with its accuracy compared to Canon/Nikon, how does the Pentax flash system compare to Minolta's, better or worse? A good high power flash with accurate exposure is very important for weddings!!
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I have a flash for my Minolta kit but I have never been happy with its accuracy compared to Canon/Nikon, how does the Pentax flash system compare to Minolta's, better or worse? A good high power flash with accurate exposure is very important for weddings!!
A hotshoe flash is something, that sadly, I haven't used yet. In any case, I would get something to diffuse the flash - a little strong flash is good, but harsh shadows are a no-no (at least to me). I know that a lot of the guys here are very happy with Pentax metering and the P-TTL system.
02-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I generally bounce flash if I have to use flash but where possible it's better to up the ISO a bit and not use flash so that you don't distract the ceremony. You just have to be careful when using flash in weddings. A sticky thread on flash photography in this forum would be useful in the main drop down!!
02-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A little while ago I noticed that NAlstrom posted up a thread to compare flashes. Hope you're reading up there.