Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lauravp77 Quote
Just the fact that I can't eliminate the available light at 1/180s. I did a small workshop with someone local, and they were using HSS. So without the flash, the picture was completely dark, but then having added the flash, the final result was a dramatic looking portrait. The effect was similar, to the image I have uploaded, but I did that with a 20" softbox and a black drop pinned to the wall. I guess that's how I'll have to work around it, and I suppose that isn't so bad.
Do you have a Neutral Density filter? This is the cheapo way to kill off the ambient when you're at the x-sync limit (also assuming your iso is already set to the minimum and your aperture is stopped down as much as far as you're willing to go). This knocks back both the ambient light and the flash, so only works if you can crank up the flash power to compensate (or add more flash units or move them closer to your subject), but it is an option to keep in mind.

It looks like you're off to a good start, enjoy your new equipment and all the fun creative options it will open!

01-19-2017, 07:09 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have fully switched to using YN560IV and the YN560TX.
They cost $2-5 more than the YN560III and are worth it.
The ability to have radio triggering and wireless control of power, zoom, groupings puts many of the OEM flash to shame.

I use either an umbrella, softbox or octobox that takes small flashes (those ebay ones; a bit cheaper on Taobao in my case)

Taken with 3 YN560IV.
One in Octobox as the keylight
One on a barndoor to highlight the back
One onto the ceiling for fill.

01-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I have fully switched to using YN560IV and the YN560TX.
They work great together. "puts many of the OEM flash to shame" Yes they do.