Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I recommend the LumoPro LP180 flashes.
https://www.amazon.com/LumoPro-LP180-Official-Strobist-Flash/dp/B00E0L75FI
They are far better made than Yongnuo and are very consistent.
I have both and find the opposite to be true. The Lumopro felt very cheap and came with a malfunction that remained after an official repair. The Yonguo feel very solid (a canon 480 clone) and have been perfect for years.

09-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Per your printing needs, I want to mention I get very nice prints from the Wal-Mart photo center and the prices are economical. If you do get prints from there, make sure you uncheck the "auto-enhance" choice when selecting your image/print.
09-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hello Laura,
You will do well with the Yongnuo as Enoeske has recommended. I have two of them myself, with their triggers also.
This was shot with Yongnuos. One light for the background and one for the keylight. Portraiture is really fun.

For a group shot you need about two lights to light everybody evenly.
I had one family shot of about 9 adults and 4 kids. I used two umbrellas. Both pointed to at 45 degrees to the ceiling.
It was shot in the living room with all white walls. This was good because then I could avoid shadows with the light bouncing everywhere. Just a thought as this is your first portrait.
It might be scary but if you practice you will be able to get the hang of it.
09-27-2016, 02:12 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think I will go with this, as it includes the softbox lights, and the total output is 2400 watts. it also has the back drop with it.

CanadianStudio 2400 Watt Digital Video Continuous Softbox Lighting Kit and Boom Set with High Key Muslin Black/White/Green Screen and Backdrop stand kit - FREE SHIPPING FROM CANADA:Amazon

---------- Post added 09-27-16 at 02:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Hello Laura,
You will do well with the Yongnuo as Enoeske has recommended. I have two of them myself, with their triggers also.
This was shot with Yongnuos. One light for the background and one for the keylight. Portraiture is really fun.

For a group shot you need about two lights to light everybody evenly.
I had one family shot of about 9 adults and 4 kids. I used two umbrellas. Both pointed to at 45 degrees to the ceiling.
It was shot in the living room with all white walls. This was good because then I could avoid shadows with the light bouncing everywhere. Just a thought as this is your first portrait.
It might be scary but if you practice you will be able to get the hang of it.

I will definitely get some practice in with my partner before doing my paying sessions

09-27-2016, 04:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've found that the compact fluro type bulbs used in these cheap lighting kits are pretty ordinary, I don't think they tell the truth about light output and colour temp, it can be very hard to get the white balance right, I have 2 x 5 bulb soft boxes with single bulb overhead soft box and still have to use a much higher ISO than I would like, I find the nature of the light very unforgiving and unflattering for skin tones. I get much better results with umbrellas & strobes.

edit : I hadn't seen your last post before I posted this, this is very similar to what I have, I hardly ever use it, I always go for the umbrellas & strobes first

Last edited by Cee Cee; 09-27-2016 at 04:14 AM.
09-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lauravp77 Quote
I think I will go with this, as it includes the softbox lights, and the total output is 2400 watts. it also has the back drop with it.

CanadianStudio 2400 Watt Digital Video Continuous Softbox Lighting Kit and Boom Set with High Key Muslin Black/White/Green Screen and Backdrop stand kit - FREE SHIPPING FROM CANADA:Amazon

---------- Post added 09-27-16 at 02:15 AM ----------

I will definitely get some practice in with my partner before doing my paying sessions

Something like that looks like it will cover your basic needs for now. Like I mentioned before, you will be able to understand/utilize it for now, and you can apply other types of lighting later if you find you want to. There are many types of lighting systems, and starting out with something you can understand and use is a start.
09-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Something like that looks like it will cover your basic needs for now. Like I mentioned before, you will be able to understand/utilize it for now, and you can apply other types of lighting later if you find you want to. There are many types of lighting systems, and starting out with something you can understand and use is a start.

Yeah that's it. I just want something to start out with. I'm taking a series of photography courses starting with the basic in October (basic digital) and following it up with intermediate, advanced, theory & history in the new year. There are also some electives I'll be taking. Small photog business, 2 on portraiture, and 2 on wedding photograhy. I expect by the time I get through he compulsory classes, I'll have had lots of practice with lighting and a much better understanding. Then I'll probably invest in flashes.

09-27-2016, 11:21 AM   #23

I recommend this video about lighting:
Peter Hurley: Illuminating The Face | Fstoppers

Last edited by Aksel; 09-28-2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: The link was broken
09-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aksel Quote
Thank you for the recommendation, however, the link seems to be broken.
09-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the link seems to be broken.
Try the link now/
09-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Yeah that's it. I just want something to start out with. I'm taking a series of photography courses starting with the basic in October (basic digital) and following it up with intermediate, advanced, theory & history in the new year. There are also some electives I'll be taking. Small photog business, 2 on portraiture, and 2 on wedding photograhy. I expect by the time I get through he compulsory classes, I'll have had lots of practice with lighting and a much better understanding. Then I'll probably invest in flashes.
Sounds like a good plan.
09-28-2016, 05:38 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Thanks. That's the link.
09-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried out a friends lighting setup that was similar to the one you're looking at (but from Cowboy Studios) and overall I think these are a little meh for live people.

Cowboy studios might be worth a look for you though, it looks like they have a showroom in Mississauga and maybe (?I've no real idea?) you can try something similar before you decide to buy:

Buy Photography and Camera Supplies from #1 Store in Toronto | Cowboystudio.ca
11-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

In the case of studio work, the old saying is you get what you pay for is standard. It doesn't mean there isn't decent equipment out there if you search.
I have heard some good reviews of Cowboy Studios though.
so my 2 cents
The ultimate light is window lighting. Nothing beats the quality of a nice big window (north facing is best) before photography painters used window light for hundreds of years
Try to use it as much natural light as possible even if its only part of your lighting setup
Softboxes (my choice) has softer light then umbrellas. your have more control over the direction of the light with softboxes.
The bigger the softbox, the softer the lighting. I would try to get a min. of 24"
If you choose to have a background, it will need its own light to eliminate shadows or keep the subject far enough away from it (which can be hard finding the space)
I only have a one person basic setup. I bought this softbox Cheetah QBox 24 inch foldable soft box it is of very high quality for the price and the guy is super helpful. it doesn't have the speedlight holder so if you go with speedlights, you need to order this Speed Pro Bracket
I bought it years ago so if you decide on this setup, contact them and make sure you get the right setup for your flash or contant lighting

there are a lot of good suggestion on this thread, so research and good luck!
let us know how you make out

Randy
12-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is this a good unit? It seems rather cheap.

Yongnuo Professional Flash Speedlight Flashlight Yongnuo YN 560 III for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Camera / Such as: Canon EOS 1Ds Mark, EOS1D Mark, EOS 5D Mark, EOS 7D, EOS 60D, EOS 600D, EOS 550D, EOS 500D, EOS 1100D: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

I also found this one, which is more expensive, and am curious about it as well:

CAMERON HSS240-N TTL FLASH TRIGGER SET

Thanks in advance.