Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back button on my k5iis. What I find most useful - with a quick shift lens, you can go seamlessly back and forth between manual and auto focus, no need to flip switches.

It took some time to get used to it, but for how I use my camera, I can't see a good reason to return to half-press for AF.

10-01-2016, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Focusing is one thing, releasing the shutter is another. They are two separate components of the picture taking process. Why on earth the two processes are coupled by default on a new camera is something that to me defies logic.
10-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup...what they said.
10-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep BB always.
but have never thought of AFC always too! Thanks fellas.

10-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For most of my stationary subject shots, I still use AF-S with the back button. After locking focus, I hold the AF button down while recomposing. For whatever reason, I get a much better keeper rate than when doing the usual half-press of the shutter button.
10-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Here's one thing I can only see possible with back button focus: burst rate is higher with af disabled, so depending on the situation I'll let go of the back button to get higher fps. Also zone focusing is much easier than holding the back button to disable af or switching to mf.
10-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started using BB AF when I was shooting college lacrosse. AF.C plus continuous release, but separate actions. Once my muscle memory was trained it seemed so much more efficient that I just left it that way for stationary shooting.

10-02-2016, 12:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the replies. It's looking like I may have to give it a serious test then, and that article that was linked is very interesting. Note to self... must not press release, must not press release...
10-02-2016, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Give yourself some time. I remember frantically pushing the shutter button to get it to focus. It becomes second nature. I think the transition period is the biggest obstacle. Once you train your thumb to focus you will wonder why you ever used the shutter button focus.
10-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Give yourself some time. I remember frantically pushing the shutter button to get it to focus. It becomes second nature. I think the transition period is the biggest obstacle. Once you train your thumb to focus you will wonder why you ever used the shutter button focus.
Yep, had a play this afternoon and can see the benefit to using it all of the time. I may have been converted 😀
10-02-2016, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
Yep, had a play this afternoon and can see the benefit to using it all of the time. I may have been converted ��
conversion took me about the same time - when I tried it, I wondered why I hadn't always done it. The biggest plus for me is you don't have to turn to MF to stop the camera re-focusing every time you shoot If you don't want it to.- all the advantages of AF and MF in one - just like having LV on a rear screen and an OVF gives you both options in a DSLR
10-03-2016, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
I may have been converted
You will regress at some time (unintentionally!) But be persistent; you can do it. you can do it.
10-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to shoot BB but now use the shutter button half-way press for focusing. There is no better or worse way, I think. Use whatever method suits your method and style.