Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Other places to shop

I was wondering last night as I was lying in bed (too often the only placed I have a chance to think!) where do others look for some of the old Pentax stuff? I know of ebay of course, but that is getting to be such a place for junk it is hard to find the good stuff any more. KEH and Adorama have some items and I sift thru craigslist now and again. Obviously the market place is a good place to trust too. I check rummage sales and estate sales now and again, but often they have just point and shoot, from what I have looked at (with kids, its hard to get to many of them).

Am I missing any other obvious places?

07-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pawn shops! you might have to run arount town and explore, but hey, make it a family trip and bring snacks and a cooler

Seriously though, they usually have decent equipment and might know little if anything about about Pentax, so calling on the phone will be hit or miss, and so will prices.

I went to a "camera repair store" in Buffalo (what a mess that was...). Guy was about 86 and could barely walk. Heck, I could barely walk around that mess. He had stacks, cases, and shelves full of old camera equipment and glass of all brands known to man. His Pentax section was impressive. The sad part was he had some incredible glass (tons of M and A Pentax, K and M42mounts) just thrown in plastic bins/boxes, no lens covers, no protection - just bare and smacking against each other as he brought the box up with his shaky hand.

To add insult to injury, he wanted book value, regardless of dust, scratch, or dinged filter ring. Needless to say, no buying was done that day.
07-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might try pawnshops although point & shoot cameras greatly outnumber the SLR's and DSLR's these days. Still...every once in a while you run across a bargain. You just have to keep checking.
07-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Goodwill, and other thrift stores...

07-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Hi Scott, I've been quite lucky on Craigslist. I got a few bargain P&S's from there, a
couple of Pentax and a Leica. I also got a really good K1000 with the manual 50mm kit lens for $35. Usually it's people clearing out the attics so you can get bargains if you know what you are looking for.
I prefer it because sellers are local, no paypal. The two times I have got stuff, the sellers have been a couple of miles from the nursery where I work. They have brought them to me and I have also managed to get the price down.
The last place people look is "under their own nose" so they say. It seems to be true because I have never had any competition to compete against. (Knocks on Wood)
Gary
07-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Pawn shops! you might have to run arount town and explore, but hey, make it a family trip and bring snacks and a cooler
Apparently, the best pawn shops are in Las Vegas.
07-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I put a "Pentax Wanted" Ad on craigslist in my local area and picked up some nice equipment at very reasonable prices. And you get to bring your dslr and test drive the lenses before you buy.