Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best Rokinon lens for Astrophotography

What is your recommendation between the Rokinon 14mm F2.8 or 16mm F2.0 for Astrophotography purposes?

Michael

10-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used the 14mm and it's very good, but you might wait and see reviews for the new 20mm/1.8 that's being released very soon. Not as wide but faster. If it has as good image quality as the 14mm wide open, it would be a wonderful astro lens.
10-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

I have heard that the coma with the 16mm F2.0 is slighly worse than with the 14mm F2.8.

But the Lonely Speck lens index ranks the 16mm significantly higher than the 14mm.

Perhaps this list isnt exactly scientific evidence, but it is probably one of the best and most reliable sources on astrophotography.

Can't judge out of experience, but I would definitely pick the faster 16mm. The one stop you gain with the 16mm is too good to pass on.
10-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Sadly, it seems the 12mm f/2 is ideal. Except for not fitting on a K body My 2nd choice in that category is the NX 16/2.4 pancake.
Frustrating that some designs are DSLR-unfriendly but that's how it goes.. that's why I picked up an old Sigma 15/2.8 fisheye!

The 16 is praised here - http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/EQ_TESTS/rokinon_16mm_lens_test.html

10-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I've used the 14mm and it's very good, but you might wait and see reviews for the new 20mm/1.8 that's being released very soon. Not as wide but faster. If it has as good image quality as the 14mm wide open, it would be a wonderful astro lens.
+1 for the 20/1.8
There have not been many reviews that I have seen yet, but if it is anything like their 135 f2.0 then it will be a home run.
10-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On an ASPC body that would be a 30mm/1.8 lens correct or would I lose an F stop?

Michael
10-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are a couple differences between the Samyang 14mm and 16mm.

14mm has slower aperture, doesn't take filters, cannot remove lens hood (which is made for FF). The 16mm is made for APSC and not FF.
There is also a small difference in the angle of view, which can be noticeable.
I got a 14mm back when it first came out, but I usually recommend the 16mm now (despite not owning one). It is less awkwardly wide, probably easier to focus (more telephoto, faster aperture) and has brighter aperture, and I haven't seen so many QC problems reports! And this might be a big issue. The Samyang 14mm is a great, sharp lens, but so many users on this forum (and elsewhere) had to return the lens due to decentering problems. And the distance scales are usually wrong. You can adjust them yourself, there are blog posts and videos about it, because it is important to know where the lens has true infinity and hyperfocal, especially for astrophoto because you are out in the dark, often in cold, being attacked by mosquitoes

But I don't actually have the 16mm on hand to compare, and I haven't done much astrophoto. I'm just saying that if I were buying today, I would get the 16mm. The new 20mm is tempting as well, but it is more expensive, has not been reviewed much yet, and it is significantly less wide. I don't think 20mm can replace a 14mm, but it can be used alongside.

Edit: One more thing is that Samyang (especially the 14mm) is sold under various names, like Rokinon, Walimex, Bower, ProOptic, Falcon.. sometimes these come at different prices, but they are optically all the same as far as we know. It might be worth to look for some other names, you can save a couple bucks, but always buy from a reputable store with warranty guarantee, due to the QC issues!

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-14-2016 at 04:28 PM.