Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only way we get better at something is to get out and do it. Getting better is a journey, not a destination. And the only way to know that you are learning is to have pictures to look at.

So get out there and take as many pictures as you want! My thinking...it's better to have too many pictures to post-process than to miss the good one!

Deleting images is much easier than creating them!

07-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
The only way we get better at something is to get out and do it. Getting better is a journey, not a destination. And the only way to know that you are learning is to have pictures to look at.

So get out there and take as many pictures as you want! My thinking...it's better to have too many pictures to post-process than to miss the good one!

Deleting images is much easier than creating them!
the other day i was showing the burst option to a friend.....

you know how bothersome it is to delete 47 images in camera?
07-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

That's one reason why I don't delete much in the camera. I download them and then delete them all at once. This doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me.
07-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

So, don't delete in camera. Thats what extra memory cards are for. The only time I delete in camera is when I am down to my last card and I have more shooting to do than I think I have remaining storage for.

Also, if you find yourself shooting in burst mode and deleting most stuff on a regular basis maybe you DO need to think about being more selective. Otherwise slip in a new SD card and chuck the bad ones when you get home.

07-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, the group delete function is quite useful for this. Check it out in the manual.
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Actually, the group delete function is quite useful for this. Check it out in the manual.
even so, clicking off individual check boxes got tiresom

i mean if i had a stylus or something

anyway you guys are getting so defensive, it was just a point that there are times when you may need to delete images in camera and it may at that particular point in time get very tedious

having said that now that i have an 8 gig card i stopped worrying about space, but still, you know, shouldn't be wasteful.
07-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

for me when I first started the impressionistic photos I would take tons of pics and get a few good ones. Now I can take a lot less pics and get more good ones from it. I have started shooting people, lol since I am learning, i shoot a lot of each pose. that of course does not work if you are shooting an event like the baby shower I shot this weekend. then you are lucky to get 1 of the shot you want. I think what really matters is to get really good photos that you want to keep out of a shoot.

07-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
...I have started shooting people...
Boy I'm glad you are just a photog!

Are you available for weddings?

....sorry!...just couldn't resist!

nav
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why bother deleting photos on camera? If you don't have the time to delete them, you probably don't have the time to scrutinise each shot in the series to know which is the best one.

Leave them on the card, download them, and have a look at them on a large screen. The 49 you don't like are selected and the delete button takes care of them.

But no, I also don't mean to say everything should be shot machine-gun style either!
07-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

my preview is setup with instantenous histogram, anything that doesnt fit the bill gets trashed very quickly

i also zoom in 4X-8X times to judge focus, esp on face/portrait shots.

there were some posts here that i read of people "comming home and realizing their memory card was missing" or something silly like that.

some call that "pro", i call that putting too much faith in your equipment.

you can get much more usable shots if you double check your work while out in the field, sometimes i've retaken the same scene 5-6 times before i got the exposure just and angle just the way i want it.

the digital age has done a wonderful job at making the world your teacher.
07-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Shoot whatever you want and delete many images as much as you can at the end of the day. Then the task is less daunting and you will end up better images and develop a style
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I have two 2gb, and one 4gb card and I don't think I'm set. Although, I suspect your message is don't shoot more than 128mb worth (assuming their all good shots).
What I meant was, that with a 128mb card, you will have to think like with film and be very selective with your shots. You will still have the advantage of being able to erase pictures. But you cannot have too many at the same time. So why not, if you want to develop more like in the film days as a photographer, bring only one or two 128mb cards out. It will be hard to cheat, if you leave the bigger ones at home.
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
Boy I'm glad you are just a photog!

Are you available for weddings?

....sorry!...just couldn't resist!

nav
He he he I just got an experienced wedding photog to agree to let me shoot with him. First he wants to have me tag along to see how we get a long but we have had several great phone conversations so I think we will be fine. Plus I really like his work!
photos
07-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
128 mb card - that's about 9 photos shooting RAW w/ a k10 and one heck of a short shoot! Go for a 512MB card and you'll be looking at about the equal of a 36 roll of film.

It's not like I'm looking to fll them out, but like others here, I cannot trust myself to accurately determine, while in mid-gig,, which photos are keepers by looking at the LCD. I use reading glasses so until they come up with an LCD screen diopter (Concept (c) 2008 Me I Want the Money, LLC), I wait until I get home. Of course, if they're all black, or 100% blown out, they're likely to get the ax if I need space. That's why I carry around 6x2 GB cards and a 4 GB, plus an old 1 GB just in case.

But to echo what others have said here, practice makes perfect, and while some of us are book-people/book-learners, some of us need practice and hands on. Which reminds me I need to find my manual
07-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I specialize in aviation photography and to be honest shooting fast moving aircraft requires lots and lots of frames to be shot to ensure that at least 2 in a series of 5 or 8 frames are perfectly clear. It also allows me to capture unusual events such as aircraft striking birds on take-off. I remember just the other day I had a Boeing 777 departing from Sydney Airport and 3 or 4 of the 10 frames showed dark black smoke trailing from the tyres and only 2 of those 4 frames were absolutely perfectly clear. That day I filled a 4GB card in 2 hours.

To have 100% of your shots be of publishable quality would be great but the reality of the situation is that it is almost impossible.