Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2016, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Focus help with K-3 birds in flight

I am a frustrated bird photographer and need some help. could someone give me some ideas on what focusing settings I need to use when I am trying to capture birds in flight? If anyone can tell me what to use or where to go to help me I certainly would appreciate it

10-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you tell us which lens you're using for this. Most birds in flight shots are gotten because people pan with the bird flying and use manual focus. At least that's how I've gotten the ones I have captured. But these were large birds. Small song birds are harder to capture because they move so fast.

Of course you need a faster shutter speed to capture birds in flight, too.

Other members will chime in with their expertise asap.
10-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I go with Tav, AF.C, 1/1250 sec or faster, nine-point autofocus or larger.
10-20-2016, 09:53 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I go with Tav, AF.C, 1/1250 sec or faster, nine-point autofocus or larger.
I add SR off, enter this settings and save as USER 1 , for quick access. Dont use very long long lens, 300 mm without tc is enough. Feel confortable handholding your lens. My favourite is my F*300. Look on internet for bIF , its is full of tips, the most comon are look for Big birds , pelícanos , blue herons.. , prefocus where you believe the bird is going and try to see through the cámara far as you can them follow or pan ende When you are sure the bird is in the center press af button to start tracking.
Weather is very important , the better the light the easiest bIF. Landing and takking offs are good oportunitties
Practice , practice and practice .
Sorry bad engish

10-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ajaxmgr Quote
I am a frustrated bird photographer and need some help. could someone give me some ideas on what focusing settings I need to use when I am trying to capture birds in flight? If anyone can tell me what to use or where to go to help me I certainly would appreciate it
9 points AFC with center point priority, at least 1/800 or faster. Optional: prefocus tracking using back button AF. Bird should be large enough in the view finder to cover enough pixels (for resolution) and AF area. Pentax AF is sized correctly in the way that a subject that would be too small to be covered by AF points would anyway get poor resolution from the sensor. Lens / subject distance is important. Doing bird in flight mostly depends on photographer's skills to get the bird in the frame while panning. Most common reason for unsuccessful bird photographs is the subject distance. And when the Bif gets closer to photographer , the speed makes is more difficult to track.

BiF is the easier thing to do for the AF system because of the constant and fast speed makes it easy for the predictive AF to perform. The most difficult is wedding because AFC isn't appropriate for slow moving targets and photographers do use AFC in those conditions while they should use AFS without waiting for AF confirm in the view finder, i.e press the shutter fully and the camera takes one shot as soon as in focus.
10-21-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank y'all for your response, I am using a sigma50-500, hand held. I use the shutter half down approach. Should I use the af button on the back?
10-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have my U3 mode setting for BIF with Tav AF.C 9 points, F7.1 at 1/1600 sec with bracketing +- 3 shots. Tracks when shutter is half down.

When walking around doing birding, and someone says "in flight !", I immediately switch to U3 mode and then aim and shoot.

All right.... Birds are usually far out, I ave a 300mm F4 DA* , and success is far from great. But I do have "souvenir" photos

sample : Mesangeai du Canada 2016100703 | Gary Devouges | Flickr

Last edited by devouges; 10-21-2016 at 07:04 AM.
10-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

Shutter half down vs back focus

Thank y'all for your response, I am using a sigma50-500, hand held. I use the shutter half down approach. Should I use the af button on the back?
That's down to your personal preference. I think that for BIF, the shutter half down works better for me because the index finger is faster than the thumb - which would be what you would use for the back focus button. I have a user mode customised for BIF with this set up. For all other photography, I use the back focus button.
Cheers
Andrew
10-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if someone has guided you to this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html
but it is very informative and also discusses parameters for the K3 as well.
I thought it might help.
10-21-2016, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are my current recommendations for BIF with a K-3:
- TAv mode:
- Set aperture for sharpest MTF
- Shutter speed according to conditions. I find 1/1000s works most of the time. Never go below 1/500s.
- Auto ISO, 100-6400. Don't be afraid to push ISO. Noise is correctable, motion blur is not.
- AF-C, Hi-Speed continuous burst:
- Center AF point, with 25 point expansion (Note, this is Expanded Area AF. Never use Auto AF)
- Center-weighted metering*, add 0.5EV compensation, fine tune in p-p
- Shake reduction off

Custom Menu Parameter Settings:
16. 1st frame action in AF-C - Focus priority (make sure focus is on the target before shooting, or you'll have a string of misses)
17. Action in AF-C Continuous - Focus Priority
18. Hold AF status - Medium, bump up to High if required. IME, AF Low allows focus to drift to the background too readily.

I have USER1 mode set up with all of the above so I can go from still shooting to action with a couple of dial clicks. I agree with Andy Fern, half-pressed shutter is faster than Back Button Focus and far more intuitive for me.

Some have suggested manual focus for BIF. I used manual focus for a couple of years with the A*300mm f4, now I use AF-C with a DA*300mm f4, both usually with a TC. I could get 1-3 BIF shots in focus with manual AF. With AF-C, I can reel off 10-15 in-focus shots.

* Rawr said in another thread that the 86,000 pixel tracking system is better utilized with Matrix metering. I haven't tested yet.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-21-2016 at 11:30 AM.
10-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
- TAv mode:
- Shutter speed according to conditions. I find 1/1000s works most of the time. Never go below 1/500s.
- Auto ISO, 100-6400. Don't be afraid to push ISO. Noise is correctable, motion blur is not.
- Center AF point, with 25 point expansion (Note, this is Expanded Area AF. Never use Auto AF)
- Shake reduction off

16. 1st frame action in AF-C - Focus priority (make sure focus is on the target before shooting, or you'll have a string of misses)
18. Hold AF status - Medium, bump up to High if required. IME, AF Low allows focus to drift to the background too readily.

I have USER1 mode set up with all of the above so I can go from still shooting to action with a couple of dial clicks. I agree with Andy Fern, half-pressed shutter is faster than Back Button Focus and far more intuitive for me.

Some have suggested manual focus for BIF. I used manual focus for a couple of years with the A*300mm f4, now I use AF-C with a DA*300mm f4, both usually with a TC. I could get 1-3 BIF shots in focus with manual AF. With AF-C, I can reel off 10-15 in-focus shots.

* Rawr said in another thread that the 86,000 pixel tracking system is better utilized with Matrix metering. I haven't tested yet.
Looks like a good plan.
I am still shooting AF: AF-S; spot; shutter button.
Time to try something new.
Cheers!
10-22-2016, 01:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

- TAv mode:
- Shake reduction off

Do you set Noise reduction on camera for those high ISO settings?
10-22-2016, 03:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
Do you set Noise reduction on camera for those high ISO settings?
Noise reduction in the camera is turned off. I shoot raw and process in Lightroom, but I don't use LR noise reduction. I use Noiseware Standard when I feel it's needed.

It is unusual to need high ISO"s for a BIF. The sky is pretty bright, even when the sun is rising or setting. Backgrounds, trees, etc can be dark. I use ISO 6400 as my high limit for all types of shooting. I try not to go that high unless I have no choice.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-22-2016 at 05:28 AM.
10-22-2016, 04:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Noise reduction in the camera is turned off. I only shoot raw and process in Lightroom, but I don't use LR noise reduction. I use Noiseware Standard when I feel it's needed.

It is unusual to need high ISO"s for a BIF. The sky is pretty bright, even when the sun is rising or setting. Backgrounds, trees, etc can be dark. I use ISO 6400 as my high limit for all types of shooting. I try not to go that high unless I have no choice.
Thanks for the tip. My previous TAv settings Was límited to 800 ISO. This morning I have set 6400 ISO and my well exposed shoot are by far better than my 800 underexposed ones.
Sorry bad english and best regards from Spain
10-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have tried Audiobomber's approach but can't make it work for me. I have difficulty locking the centre focus point onto the subject, then I just have a bunch of red dots fluttering around it and out-of-focus shots. I find it easier to lock on with spot focus, though it doesn't work 100% of the time.