Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ajaxmgr Quote
Thank y'all for your response, I am using a sigma50-500, hand held. I use the shutter half down approach. Should I use the af button on the back?
Yes. Use back button focus, continuos af, group af points in the center. To help keep af optimized, rapidly press and depress back button while panning/tracking bird, and while keeping shutter button pressed constantly. This will allow the camera to reacquire focus more efficiently than relying on the camera's continuous af.

06-24-2018, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I have tried Audiobomber's approach but can't make it work for me. I have difficulty locking the centre focus point onto the subject, then I just have a bunch of red dots fluttering around it and out-of-focus shots. I find it easier to lock on with spot focus, though it doesn't work 100% of the time.
A bit more explanation is warranted here.

When you half-press the shutter in Expanded Area AF-C mode, the camera tries to find focus on the central point. As soon as focus is confirmed, you need to take the shot. If you don't take the shot, the camera assumes that it has selected the wrong target, and starts to search adjacent points. When you take the shot, the camera records the shape and colour of the object in focus and begins tracking. It tracks until you let up on the shutter button.

If you have accidentally focussed on something other than the subject, say a cloud in the background, that is what the camera will track. If this happens, you need to stop and restart tracking by letting up and re-depressing the shutter button. This is called focus bumping. Sometimes the camera loses focus during a sequence. This again calls for focus bumping. IME, the K-3 is very good at tracking with the settings I listed above, and given a fast focussing lens like the DA*300 or 55-300mm PLM. Tracking a BIF with the older 55-300mm lenses is possible, but you will have a lot more missed opportunities.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/332226-focus-h...ml#post3806571

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-25-2018 at 05:29 AM.
06-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A bit more explanation is warranted here
Thanks audiobomber - I'll keep working on it.
06-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one time I set up with audiobomboers setting and had some Terns it was pretty amazing watching those AF points move around and keep the Tern I was focussed on in focus. But, setting up AF-c does lead to slower focus acquisition in my experience, but once you're locked on you're way ahead of the game.

07-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, properly used AFC is almost magic. But it is easy to use in the wrong situation or not set it up right. One more of those complexities which makes our hobby so continuously interesting
07-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
A bit more explanation is warranted here.

When you half-press the shutter in Expanded Area AF-C mode, the camera tries to find focus on the central point. As soon as focus is confirmed, you need to take the shot. If you don't take the shot, the camera assumes that it has selected the wrong target, and starts to search adjacent points. When you take the shot, the camera records the shape and colour of the object in focus and begins tracking. It tracks until you let up on the shutter button.

If you have accidentally focussed on something other than the subject, say a cloud in the background, that is what the camera will track. If this happens, you need to stop and restart tracking by letting up and re-depressing the shutter button. This is called focus bumping. Sometimes the camera loses focus during a sequence. This again calls for focus bumping. IME, the K-3 is very good at tracking with the settings I listed above, and given a fast focussing lens like the DA*300 or 55-300mm PLM. Tracking a BIF with the older 55-300mm lenses is possible, but you will have a lot more missed opportunities.

Focus help with K-3 birds in flight - PentaxForums.com
This is really interesting, clearly I have a lot to learn about the AF functions still.
07-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaladran Quote
This is really interesting, clearly I have a lot to learn about the AF functions still.
Me too!

Am I right in thinking that using a smaller number of AF points -- e.g. the 3x3 grid on my KS-2 -- doesn't actually seem to speed it up *that* much? The centre spot does, but it's still obviously doing a calculation later on.

07-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Landak Quote
Me too!

Am I right in thinking that using a smaller number of AF points -- e.g. the 3x3 grid on my KS-2 -- doesn't actually seem to speed it up *that* much? The centre spot does, but it's still obviously doing a calculation later on.
I don't see that fewer AF points should matter. When using extended area AF, initial acquisition is concentrated on the specified point only. The outer points are not in play.

I do use the 9-point array, expanded area AF for sports, where the target is not moving so quickly. With a BIF however, I can not keep the bird in the center, so the outermost points are best kept in play.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-30-2018 at 01:56 PM.
08-12-2018, 06:51 AM   #39

I know this is an older post, but I will answer with 'depends'. I think you 'could' be more satisfied with AFS/Single Point if the subject is, for example, a Heron or a surveying Harrier. I value the speed and output of AFS over AFC's better tracking. Reason being, with gliding/surveying birds, you have the ability to re-establish focus and designate the area of emphasis.

User 1 Settings:
TAv
AFS (Half Press Shutter for Focus is ON)
Spot Meter
Single Point
Custom Menu Settings: 16: 3, 17: 1, 18: 3

User 2 Settings:
TAv
AFC (Half Press Shutter for Focus is OFF)
Back Button Focus
Spot Meter
Auto 9
SR Off

In both User Programs, I have my starting Shutter Speed set to 1000 and Aperture set to 7.1.
- U1 is used for almost all of my Bird Photography
- U2 is set to 'typical' Birds in Flight (however I seldom shoot in this mode)
08-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
I know this is an older post, but I will answer with 'depends'. I think you 'could' be more satisfied with AFS/Single Point if the subject is, for example, a Heron or a surveying Harrier. I value the speed and output of AFS over AFC's better tracking. Reason being, with gliding/surveying birds, you have the ability to re-establish focus and designate the area of emphasis.

User 1 Settings:
TAv
AFS (Half Press Shutter for Focus is ON)
Spot Meter
Single Point

User 2 Settings:
TAv
Back Button Focus
Spot Meter
Auto 9
SR Off

In both User Programs, I have my starting Shutter Speed set to 1000 and Aperture set to 7.1.
- U1 is used for almost all of my Bird Photography
- U2 is set to 'typical' Birds in Flight (however I seldom shoot in this mode)
Are you sure that user modes save the shutter and af back button settings?
08-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
Are you sure that user modes save the shutter and af back button settings?
Yup. Saves both.
08-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #42

Meant to make one correction:

User 2 Settings:
TAv
Back Button Focus
Spot Meter
Auto 9, Center Focus 9
SR Off

I do have better luck with the Center Focus (Single, 9, or 25) than I do with the Auto Focus modes.

I've always kept '17. Action in AF.C Continuous Shooting' in '1. Focus Priority'. Switching it up to '3. FPS-Priority' for my next couple outings and see if 'output' beats out 'precision'.

I've always kept '18. Hold AF Status' in '3. Medium'. As with above, going to switch with 'Off'.

I assume for Hold AF Status, it really depends on the predictability of the subject in flight and the environment around them.

Assuming it's a Bird against a Sky, Hold AF Status can be Off to Low. There is little in the way of obstruction.
Assuming the Bird is flying in a clear plain and there are some shrubs/trees it passes behind, I would imagine Low to Medium could be well suited.

If this were a Cyclocross event and you were capturing participants as they pass your position on the trail, Medium to High might be well suited as all are staying on a track and you are stationary.

Last edited by sutherland; 08-13-2018 at 09:21 AM.
08-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
I can't agree with AF-S for birds in flight. May work fine if the bird is flying horizontally. If it is flying toward you, by the time you focus and get the shot off, the head will likely be out of the focal plane. You're much better off with AF-C and expanded area, let the camera assist with
tracking.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/6...ml#post4400157
08-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #44

I can't agree with AF-S for birds in flight. May work fine if the bird is flying horizontally. If it is flying toward you, by the time you focus and get the shot off, the head will likely be out of the focal plane. You're much better off with AF-C and expanded area, let the camera assist with
tracking.

BIF Photography - Page 21 - PentaxForums.com
I think it comes down to preference and confidence in the AFC handling. Personally, I haven't had much success. I plan on going out this weekend with a few setting changes to see if I have better luck, but as it stands today, my track record with birds in flight is weighted towards AF-S.
08-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #45
Forum Member

You might want to check the Steve Perry Back Country Photography site. He is a Nikon user that uses Auto-ISO, our TAV mode, with the Back Focus Button, and continuous multiple shots. He uses 9 focus points.