Auto Focus Hold - Low

K-30
TAv
AF.C (Shutter focus disabled)
Back Button Focus
AF.C set to focus Priority
Metering varies depending on environment
SEL Auto Focus expanded to 11

My technique is that I don't 100% rely on the tracking while I'm tracking.
I leave the tracking on for when I actually press the shutter to improve the odds of "keepers".
I regularly release the back button (depending on circumstances) and re-acquire my own focus while visually tracking by using my eyes.
With birds in flight heading towards the camera, I start tracking while they're far away, release, re-acquire, track, release, re-acquire and when they get to where I want them, I capture.
By doing it this way, there's less focus throw needed at the point of capture, hence, more chance of yet another "keeper".

Last edited by Kobie; 02-05-2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added photos as examples
02-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #47
Forum Member

Thanks for sharing your settings and technique. Great shots.
02-05-2019, 06:38 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mundj Quote
Thanks for sharing your settings and technique. Great shots.
Just trying to help the community after all my trial and error lol. And thank you for the compliment!
03-13-2021, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #49

After reading all these posts carefully, today I give it a try. Created a user mode with the following settings:
SR: off
Mode: Tav
AF-C,
Expanded area AF: 25
Metering: Center priority
focus with shutter button
menu 16: 3 (focus priority)
menu 17: 1 (focus priority)
menu 18: 3 (high)

Using K3ii and Sigma 100-300mm lense.

So far I love the results.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by basrietkerk; 03-13-2021 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added camera and lens type
03-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #50
Forum Member

Great shots, thanks for shsring
03-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out as soon as I can safely venture outdoors. Round here, a walk is 'exercise' - the same walk with a camera or binoculars is 'recreation', and not permitted.
03-13-2021, 04:57 PM - 4 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by basrietkerk Quote
AF-C,

For birds, especially birds in flight, I find that 1/640 s or 1/400 s is not sufficient. I generally use 1/1250 or faster, with f/8 or wider aperture. This gives better sharpness and more pop.

1/1250, f/6.3 (K1 + DFA 150-450)

03-14-2021, 03:20 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
For birds, especially birds in flight, I find that 1/640 s or 1/400 s is not sufficient. I generally use 1/1250 or faster, with f/8 or wider aperture. This gives better sharpness and more pop.

1/1250, f/6.3 (K1 + DFA 150-450)
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try today.
03-15-2021, 06:05 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out as soon as I can safely venture outdoors. Round here, a walk is 'exercise' - the same walk with a camera or binoculars is 'recreation', and not permitted.
Good grief - with both camera and binoculars I would probably spend the night in jail! Surely the issue is not the activity but whether you are interacting with other people at close quarters. I have to do a lot less in the way of evasive manoevres on a park trail than on a city street. Still, with locations like Minsmere and Cley in your neighbourhood you have lots to look forward to.
06-15-2021, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #55

Read this thread yesterday and made the recommended changes, definately going to give it some more practice but already seeing improvements at lunch earlier

06-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Good grief - with both camera and binoculars I would probably spend the night in jail! Surely the issue is not the activity but whether you are interacting with other people at close quarters. I have to do a lot less in the way of evasive manoevres on a park trail than on a city street. Still, with locations like Minsmere and Cley in your neighbourhood you have lots to look forward to.
Sorry for the delayed response. I agree entirely, I love Cley and visit frequently - Minsmere not so often, as there are no buses there from Norwich. I was referring to walks in my local woodland and Nature Reserve, where the police were being increasingly adept at interpreting the rules in such a fashion that they could hand out fines. Not my own experience, I hasten to add, but that of others to whom I have spoken.

To set your mind at rest - I NEVER interact with other people at close range, for both my health and safety and theirs. The other week, on my way to Cley, I let the first bus go and caught the next, as the first was too crowded for my liking. Surprisingly, Cley itself was quite quiet, most visitors have headed straight for the beach where they wasted spent their time throwing things around and screaming. The Crown of Creation ? Hmmmm.
06-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
To set your mind at rest - I NEVER interact with other people at close range, for both my health and safety and theirs. The other week, on my way to Cley, I let the first bus go and caught the next, as the first was too crowded for my liking. Surprisingly, Cley itself was quite quiet, most visitors have headed straight for the beach where they wasted spent their time throwing things around and screaming. The Crown of Creation ? Hmmmm.
You are lucky Cley is quiet - I haven't been there but the Minsmere and Southwold area is a wonderful part of the world. Cley must be a lot different from one of my go-to waterfront parks, where nightime bonfires and fireworks just recently almost consumed a field of tree swallow nesting boxes.

Meanwhile after struggling a bit with BIF with a K-3 for several years I now have my K-3 III and DA*300mm to work with - still not perfect but some satisfying shots.
06-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by GreenRich Quote
Read this thread yesterday and made the recommended changes, definately going to give it some more practice but already seeing improvements at lunch earlier
Great picture! Keep on trying. The outcome will be rewarding.
06-20-2021, 09:59 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GreenRich Quote
already seeing improvements
Yep, I would be pretty happy with that.
11-28-2022, 08:08 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm curious-why SR off? Are you shooting with a tripod or monopod?

QuoteOriginally posted by basrietkerk Quote
After reading all these posts carefully, today I give it a try. Created a user mode with the following settings:
AF-C,

So far I love the results.