Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lighting a tanning bed + model

A friend of mine has asked me to fill in for his regular photographer. One of the projects he needs photos for is of a tanning salon. The gentleman running it needs photos of the beds on and off, with and without models.

I've never even been in a tanning salon. Any suggestions for lighting this stuff would be much appreciated. A quick google shows that the lighting in a lot of them is apparently an awful green tone.

11-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

assuming there are two different colors of light at play, the tanning bed (you'll want it on a low setting), and whatever overhead or room light. If you gel for the overhead and keep the bed light low, it may not interfere, or it will have its own color and look cool as an accent.
Ask if there are any marketing photos for the place and get a feel for what gels to bring.
HTH
11-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do your own lighting.

11-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your PhotoShop skills are adequate and the model will sit still, shoot the whole thing in normal light, then again with just the tanning bed light. You can assemble your own HDR of sorts by masking one over the other.
I have never shot a scene like this, but I would shoot as much as possible and adjust levels in LightRoom. Also, ask the client what they need it to look like so you know what you are working towards.

11-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would image stack it.

Camera on tripod
1. take a photo of the bed lights off, no model.
2. take a photo of the bed lights on, no model.
3. take a photo of the bed with the model, Lights On
4. take a photo of the bed with the model, Lights off.

Add or take away the steps here, but the idea is to layer them in PS and use layer masking to get light and adjust colors appropriately per element in the scene. If you have flash equipment, you should consider using that too.
11-05-2016, 05:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Do a Google image search on "tanning studio". My hit #18 shows a pretty good sample of what to achieve.

E.g., make sure you have a good balance of bench and ambient light, such that the bench gives nice reflections on the model's skin.
11-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the great advice, folks. I'm teetering between taking the advice, or telling him I'm not available for the job. But then, they haven't given me a dollar figure yet.

11-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Now there's a gig you'll never get here in Australia. Commercial tanning beds/salons have been banned (at least in this State) in an attempt to reduce the incidence of skin cancer.
11-09-2016, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Thanks for the great advice, folks. I'm teetering between taking the advice, or telling him I'm not available for the job. But then, they haven't given me a dollar figure yet.
Just take the job... If you can't get to a bed to practice before hand, offer them a discount. I am sure if you arrive early and take your time changing settings, you will get it right. Then you can do this in the future, no problem.