Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Best tips for focusing on Moon with my K-50 and 55-300

I am practicing for some shots of the Super Moon. Autofocusing seems a little soft, which doesn't surprise me. But I seem to also be having a bit of an issue manually focussing through the viewfinder.

Any tips, please?

Thanks.

11-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I am practicing for some shots of the Super Moon. Autofocusing seems a little soft, which doesn't surprise me. But I seem to also be having a bit of an issue manually focussing through the viewfinder.

Any tips, please?

Thanks.
Live view all the way. Magnify the image and look at the edge of the moon to determine sharpness.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Magnified live view. On my K5IIs, I switch to manual focus, press the live view button, press INFO a few times to magnify to 6x or more. At 300mm the moon should be big enough in the frame for that. It's easier to see detail on the edge of a non-full moon. The AF might work with magnified live view also, but I don't have any 300mm AF lenses to have tried it. You probably want to use the center point only and put the moon dead center to focus. Surrounded by a dark sky, the camera may have trouble picking a focus point.
11-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-50 magnifies live view by hitting the "ok" button in the center of the 4 way. Then you can change the magnification (up to +6 or +8, i can't remember... ) by using the rear dial. Use manual focus, and use a very light touch on the focus ring. Use spot meter on the brightest point on the moon for setting your exposure. Just remember that the faster you set your shutter, the better chance at reducing any motion blur/fuzziness from the moon's movement. Definitely use a cable remote or an IR remote if you have one. I would suggest mirror lock-up + remote mode, but the k-50 only has self timer, remote and remote with 3s delay.