Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #1

Terrible Pentax Support in NZ

I'm in New Zealand and have a Pentax K20d with something strangely broken on it (see this thread.)

I sent the camera and lens to the authorized Pentax service centre here in NZ about 20 days ago. Having heard nothing I phoned them today and they told me: "sorry, we don't have the equipment needed to fix your camera. We are sending it back to you and you'll have to send it to Japan or USA for repair at your cost."

What kinds of terrible warranty service is this?!
Any advice on what to do?

07-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thats ridiculous

IN NZ isnt it CR Kennedy thats the agent as in australia

Dont take this lying down totally unacceptable

cheers
07-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
The service provider in NZ is:

Ian R. Little Ltd.
Ian R Little Ltd Company Profile
Ian R Little Ltd, Business Advice - finda New Zealand
07-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Send it to CR Kennedy. Either in NZ or Australia. Hilton is the man to talk to.

07-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
Having heard nothing I phoned them today and they told me: "sorry, we don't have the equipment needed to fix your camera. We are sending it back to you and you'll have to send it to Japan or USA for repair at your cost."
Two things - were your K20 and lens purchased here through legimate channels, or were they imported?

If they were purchased here, remember that you have recourse against the RETAILER via the Consumer Guarantees Act. The retailer must fix things for you, they can't fob you off onto the distributor.

The second thing is that from what I've heard it can be highly dependant on who you get down there. I've stood by and listened in frustation to a camera salesman on the phone trying to find out whether they had stock of something (DA 40mm), and they couldn't even be bothered going and checking for him.

A thought which just crossed my mind - perhaps you could get an international warranty and try getting the australian agents to fix it, as other members have mentioned.
07-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Two things - were your K20 and lens purchased here through legimate channels, or were they imported?

If they were purchased here, remember that you have recourse against the RETAILER via the Consumer Guarantees Act. The retailer must fix things for you, they can't fob you off onto the distributor.

The second thing is that from what I've heard it can be highly dependant on who you get down there. I've stood by and listened in frustation to a camera salesman on the phone trying to find out whether they had stock of something (DA 40mm), and they couldn't even be bothered going and checking for him.

A thought which just crossed my mind - perhaps you could get an international warranty and try getting the australian agents to fix it, as other members have mentioned.
Thanks for the advice.

The K20d was purchased legitimately in the USA while I was (briefly) living there. So, probably no chance to do anything via the consumer guarantees act.

I already have an international warranty card. I'll contact the Australian Pentax warranty department. Good idea
07-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Good luck ...let us know of the outcome of that.

Nameste
07-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
I already have an international warranty card. I'll contact the Australian Pentax warranty department. Good idea
Can I ask whether their refusal to do anything was specific to the international warranty, or whether it was just general?

I ask because I'd been considering purchasing a K20, and was wondering whether it was worth spending the extra to purchase locally (in order to get an NZ warranty)

07-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That is a total load of crap! If they couldn't fix it, for whatever reason, they should have send to Japan at their expense and notified you.

In fact, if I were you, I would let the home office know about this.
07-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What store did you take it to?
07-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pentax Support isn't much better in Canada...

I sent Pentax Canada 2 emails in the last month with support questions and never got any answers...

Not impressive.

Pat
08-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #12
JSL
Inactive Account

Similar Experience

Old thread I know but I had a similar experience with the same agent in NZ.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement part of the mount for a DA lens?
08-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, sorry. Unless you can find a cheap or broken other one and swap.
08-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You'd be doing well, Pentax is tiny in NZ. Even through a store, they will deal with their Pentax suppliers overseas.