Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Shooting in cold temps question

I've got a Pentax k-x that I will be using for shooting outdoors in cold weather, likely in the 15-35 degree F range. Although not drastically cold, still uncomfortably cold. I am aware of the condensation issues when taking the camera from a cold to warm environment during the post-shoot and will be utilizing the sealed plastic bag trick to control condensation as the camera warms to room temperature.

But what about pre-shoot considerations. I will be driving for a couple of hours before I arrive at the outdoor location I will be shooting at. Obviously during this time the camera will be at a somewhat warm "inside car" temperature while I am traveling. What are the precautions once I arrive and get out of the car with my camera and the outdoor temps are freezing or below? Do I need to worry about condensation forming at that point as well? Should I let the camera adjust to the cold temps before I begin shooting, and if so, for how long and the best method for doing so?

Thanks for anyone's tips. Just want to make sure I get some decent shots.

12-05-2016, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stardog Quote
I've got a Pentax k-x that I will be using for shooting outdoors in cold weather, likely in the 15-35 degree F range. Although not drastically cold, still uncomfortably cold. I am aware of the condensation issues when taking the camera from a cold to warm environment during the post-shoot and will be utilizing the sealed plastic bag trick to control condensation as the camera warms to room temperature.

But what about pre-shoot considerations. I will be driving for a couple of hours before I arrive at the outdoor location I will be shooting at. Obviously during this time the camera will be at a somewhat warm "inside car" temperature while I am traveling. What are the precautions once I arrive and get out of the car with my camera and the outdoor temps are freezing or below? Do I need to worry about condensation forming at that point as well? Should I let the camera adjust to the cold temps before I begin shooting, and if so, for how long and the best method for doing so?

Thanks for anyone's tips. Just want to make sure I get some decent shots.
I don't do the plastic bag trick. Instead, I use my backpack as an insulator. Keep your batteries close to you to keep them warm, take the SD card out before you put the camera away (so you can play with photos when you get home!). I'd say 15-30 minutes in a backpack is usually what I give it, depending on the temperature difference.

The K-x is definitely a trooper. I took it to Mount Rainier right after I got it, despite the lack of weathersealing, my accidentally dropping it in the snow did it no harm.
12-05-2016, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I did a trip last February to Amherst Island in Canada and it was -13F with a wind chill of -25F. I had no problem at all with condensation. If you have a car and will be driving a bit maybe stick the camera in your trunk so it's not going from a warm car to the cold if you have a suv maybe keep your gear all the way in the back and keep heat on low.

I had a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top so even with the heat on high it was still cold inside.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-05-2016, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I store my camera in a sealed plastic bag, then inside a sealed plastic container. Usually when I go somewhere I take it out of the container and plastic bag, put the fully charged battery and SD card in the camera, put the camera in another sealed plastic bag for travel, and either put it in a pack for the driving or just ride with it on top of a towel on my front passenger side seat, keeping it in the plastic bag whether in the pack or on the seat. When I get back, I take the camera out of the sealed plastic bag , take the SD card and battery out of they camera, then place the camera in the other sealed plastic bag and into the sealed plastic container where I store it. If you do not take it out of the sealed plastic bag that you drove it home in right away after you get home/inside, you can also let it stay in that bag if you feel you have any reason to.

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-05-2016 at 05:39 PM.
12-05-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

What are the precautions once I arrive and get out of the car with my camera and the outdoor temps are freezing or below? Do I need to worry about condensation forming at that point as well? Should I let the camera adjust to the cold temps before I begin shooting, and if so, for how long and the best method for doing so?
There's no special precautions to take when you'll get the camera outside the car. It's when you get from cold to warm that problems with condensation could occur. And when you,ll get back in the car, I guess it will be as cold and slowly warm up. So, no problem there either. However, don't forget bring some extra batteries. They can get low quite quickly in cold temp.
12-05-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't breathe on the lens.

Keep the batteries warm, perhaps in in inside pocket on a jacket. Put them in the camera when you are ready to go out and shoot.

To avoid condensation, cover the lenses before you go inside, and don't open the camera in side to swap lenses before letting the camera warm up. You are better off not swapping lenses at all outsdie or inside, condensation will build up even in that short time.

Throw a few silica dessicant packs in your camera bag, they take a lot of moisture out of the air.

I have fingerless gloves with a piece that folds over to create mittens. very nice. If you are going to be in one place, or using a support, consider using a remote.
12-05-2016, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 + DFA100wr, DA15
Weather: daytime 3-4 hours outdoor, moderately heavy snow, strong wind

pre-shoot: I always left camera in a room with no heater to avoid condensation.

post-shoot: again, I left camera in a room with no heater to avoid condensation.

during shoot: I had no camera bag with me. An unused lens kept inside a pocket. Camera performed well, lenses have no condensation issue.

To avoided condensation issue, you can leave your camera bag in the car trunk. I guess.

12-05-2016, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dry, cold air is no problem if going from a warmer car. Still advisable to let camera acclimate to reach ambient temperature before shooting, more important for astro telephoto work. However, if outside humidity is high in a freezing airmass, be aware of frost buildup on camera and lens and anything else metal. Agree with others on taking SD cards out first thing after a cold shoot session before going into a warmer environment. For those models with two SD slots, take both cards out in case it recorded to the "other" card by chance. Try to insulate camera from the warmer inside air, either by putting it inside sufficiently large ziplock bags, inside a well sealed camera bag, wrapped in a thick coat or parka or a combination of any or all of these. The objective is to slow down the heat transfer between cold camera and moisture-laden inside air. Take lots of extra batteries - battery power decreases with temperature.
12-05-2016, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Hand warmer packets. Keep one in each pocket. When you're not warming your hands, take the batteries out and stick them in the pockets with the warmers. Most hand warmer packets don't get hot enough to worry about damaging the batteries. After a few minutes put batt's back in the camera and shoot some more.
12-06-2016, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input and great advice. I will put it all to good use!
12-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

The K-x takes AA batteries. I have use NiMH rechargeables in mine in cold weather, but lithiums are supposed to be much better in the cold. Pick up two or three sets, so you can have one set in the camera for shooting, and one or two sets in your pocket warming up.
12-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

I would be squeamish about using a K-x in 15F degree weather. The official K-x manual states the operating temps for that camera are between 32F to 104F so you're going well below that.

Therefore, while it *might* work without a hitch, it also might very well not since you're exceeding the operating environment for that particular camera. I definitely would pick a single lens and keep it on the entire time of the trip. That is, unless you have a multi-hour time period for the camera/lens to acclimate in a warmish enviroment (above freezing).

If it starts snowing, I'd keep the camera pointed down and protect the wheel/dial and shutter buttons.

I've cracked open a K-r once (which is very similar to the K-x) and noticed it is just a plastic shell with no weather sealing whatsoever between the thin, plastic seams.

I've also taken a K-5II (weather sealed) out with a 55-300WR in an ice storm to take photos. It held together without issue beyond the on/off dial becoming very stiff while out and the zoom ring getting a bit stiff too (and the battery not holding a strong charge after awhile). And that was a weather sealed kit. I wouldn't even try that with the K-x unless I wasn't concerned with it pooping out for good.
12-09-2016, 01:51 AM   #13

I've taken my K-x out in -15 to -20 C (about +5 to -5 F), well below +15 F (about -10 C). However, I kept it inside my coat except when shooting. That keeps it warmer, but increases the risk of condensation. Here in Alberta it is very dry, so I didn't have any problems with that. With NiMH batteries it was good for almost an hour before running into battery issues. Your batteries will be first to go. If you swap in warmer batteries and keep shooting, watch for mechanical issues. If it looks like things are starting to stiffen up (i.e moving parts like the mirror, shutter, etc.) then it's time to go in and warm up. As mee points out, though, the K-x has no seals. If the snow is blowing then it's probably best to stay inside. I expect the baggies used to protect from rain would also work for snow, but if it's blowing you probably don't want to be out either, and it makes a handy excuse :-)

Note that I now shoot with a K-3. Its a big step up in "cold proofing". My K-x still works, my daughter is now using it.
01-31-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cthulhugan Quote
The K-x takes AA batteries. I have use NiMH rechargeables in mine in cold weather, but lithiums are supposed to be much better in the cold. Pick up two or three sets, so you can have one set in the camera for shooting, and one or two sets in your pocket warming up.
I highly recommend the lithiums for the Kx. For cold weather they are more reliable, and for more temperate climates, they last amazingly well and even seem to pep up screw drive AF.
02-10-2017, 02:38 PM - 3 Likes   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Shooting in cold temps question
A hip flask full of fine malt Whisky is the answer... no matter what the question is.