Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which 50/1.7 are you using? Not that it matters much; if it's not an A or later, you'll still have either full-manual or aperture priority to run with. The only thing I hate about the Super Program is that it lacks the manual X-sync-speed fallback position of the ME if the electronics or the batteries die. 15 seconds to 1/2000 is no slouch for its vintage.

Just one note on the Super Program. I have mine in front of me now, and the exposure compensation dial does NOT allow turning to the 1/2x or 1/4x position with ISO/ASA 3200 selected. Evidently the camera has its limitations.

12-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Which 50/1.7 are you using? Not that it matters much; if it's not an A or later, you'll still have either full-manual or aperture priority to run with. The only thing I hate about the Super Program is that it lacks the manual X-sync-speed fallback position of the ME if the electronics or the batteries die. 15 seconds to 1/2000 is no slouch for its vintage.

Just one note on the Super Program. I have mine in front of me now, and the exposure compensation dial does NOT allow turning to the 1/2x or 1/4x position with ISO/ASA 3200 selected. Evidently the camera has its limitations.
It's an A. The problem with the camera itself is I checked it, and the foam is a bit crumbly. Not terrible, but not sturdy enough that I'd trust it not to leak.
12-18-2016, 04:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Oh dear. And not enough time to run a test film through and/or get the seals fixed. Oh well, it was a bonus. (How does a film teacher let their camera get in that state? LOL)
12-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh dear. And not enough time to run a test film through and/or get the seals fixed. Oh well, it was a bonus. (How does a film teacher let their camera get in that state? LOL)
To be fair, she's a Canon shooter, so I assume the numerous Nikon cameras, and the TLR, and all the other things she has floating around get neglected equally.

12-20-2016, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update:

So everything seemed to go okay. No raging...anybody. I got paid, but since I negotiated an hourly rate and they ran through the whole thing in an hour before the bride got cold, it wasn't really worth my time (though the experience was fun and I learned valuable lessons, my wife ended up not getting paid at her day job to join me for the day as an assistant).

I had to rush my shots of the rings before the ceremony, so...those'll be a fun test of the K-1's raws to clean up in post. Everything else turned out okay, though, I was wishing for a 24-70 and a second K-1, so I wasn't constantly swapping to my wide-angle primes and back to my 70-200.
12-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I think you'll find the lessons learned and the fact that you can put a (proverbial) notch on your lens barrel for a paid gig are worth far more in the long run than the less-than-Donald-Trump-sized fee you collected.

How did the film part of it go? And how did the reality pan out compared to the suggestions we all helpfully threw in your direction?
12-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think you'll find the lessons learned and the fact that you can put a (proverbial) notch on your lens barrel for a paid gig are worth far more in the long run than the less-than-Donald-Trump-sized fee you collected.

How did the film part of it go? And how did the reality pan out compared to the suggestions we all helpfully threw in your direction?
Haha, thanks. That's a great way of looking at it.

Together

Everything went so fast. The whole thing was over in an hour, so I didn't even finish my roll of HP5, much less get on to my roll of Portra. My actual camera set up for film was great, using a Peak Design Sling + Capture Clip to carry my film camera and lenses, then a strap for my K-1. The wooded park looked darker than it actually was, and I was able to shoot my ISO 400 film at box speed.

I spent so much time worrying before the wedding that I wish I had spent looking around, thinking of poses for the bride and groom to take on. For this couple, group shots weren't something they were super interested in, but I still pushed to have a few taken...on B&W film, since that was the camera that had my wide-angle lens on. Hope those turn out.

Actually, it looks like I got some digital group shots. They just need quite a bit of work in Lightroom. The histograms look great, but they were shots I knew I wasn't going to get 'in camera', with blue mountains and waves in the background, and black suits and dresses in the foreground.

I only ended up getting about 15 minutes with the rings, including set up, so I didn't have time to take down my lighting gear. A lack of wide-angle zooms meant that -combined with taking group shots in the middle of the one hour shoot- there were lenses everywhere. These factors, combined with the fact that we were in a public park, left my second shooter watching gear instead of taking photos I wasn't physically in a position to take. She still got a couple that I missed, but not nearly as many as I would have hoped.

My K-1 and 70-200 ran most of the shots through the day, but I was really hurting not having a wide-angle zoom.

12-23-2016, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #23

Photos: Albums
I know this is not your fault but it irks my OCD to no end. The bride is not keeping a straight back, looks like she's hauling a lot of burden.
And Converse sneaker for a suit? Even though it's a quick and small circle elopement, some people just have no sense of style...
But at least you didn't have to break in your bulletproof west. Next one should be a shotgun marriage.
12-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
I know this is not your fault but it irks my OCD to no end. The bride is not keeping a straight back, looks like she's hauling a lot of burden.
And Converse sneaker for a suit? Even though it's a quick and small circle elopement, some people just have no sense of style...
But at least you didn't have to break in your bulletproof west. Next one should be a shotgun marriage.
They actually wore matching Converse sneakers. I'm not sure if that makes it better....
12-23-2016, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

The burden might be a congenital thoracic kyphosis for all you know; don't judge people by their posture.

---------- Post added 23-12-16 at 18:50 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
They actually wore matching Converse sneakers. I'm not sure if that makes it better....
They're not rabid Doctor Who fans, are they?

The family that shoes together, woos together?

Adding to the "on the run" theme?

---------- Post added 23-12-16 at 18:52 ----------

But at least you didn't have to break in your bulletproof vest. Next one should be a shotgun marriage.
I'm not sure any wedding needs to be shot in that sense, LOL.

Reminds me of a poem I saw once:

There was a little man
And he had a little gun
And his bullets were made of lead
He stood close by
With a fatherly eye
While me and my girl were wed...
01-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I delivered the photos, and the bride was very happy with them, in fact she wrote this:

Oh, these are perfect. Thank you so so much for capturing all of the joy on that day. I know you're going to add these to your portfolio but is there anywhere online that I can recommend others to use you as a photographer? I'd love to be one of your first reviewers.

I've never heard of such a place, but I thought I'd ask around.
01-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know this is not your fault but it irks my OCD to no end. The bride is not keeping a straight back, looks like she's hauling a lot of burden. And Converse sneaker for a suit? Even though it's a quick and small circle elopement, some people just have no sense of style...
After all, it was their wedding, not yours; if they were happy, that's all that counts.
01-02-2017, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I delivered the photos, and the bride was very happy with them, in fact she wrote this:

Oh, these are perfect. Thank you so so much for capturing all of the joy on that day. I know you're going to add these to your portfolio but is there anywhere online that I can recommend others to use you as a photographer? I'd love to be one of your first reviewers.

I've never heard of such a place, but I thought I'd ask around.
Congratulations! That praise more than makes up for your small pay for the job! Sorry, I don't know where she could post online, recommending you; but it's sure nice that she wants to!
01-02-2017, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Update:

So everything seemed to go okay. No raging...anybody. I got paid, but since I negotiated an hourly rate and they ran through the whole thing in an hour before the bride got cold, it wasn't really worth my time (though the experience was fun and I learned valuable lessons, my wife ended up not getting paid at her day job to join me for the day as an assistant).

I had to rush my shots of the rings before the ceremony, so...those'll be a fun test of the K-1's raws to clean up in post. Everything else turned out okay, though, I was wishing for a 24-70 and a second K-1, so I wasn't constantly swapping to my wide-angle primes and back to my 70-200.
Congratulations! As has already been said, the experience you've gained more than offsets the less-than-ideal pay. Everyone happy... can't ask for a better result than that