Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2016, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tilt-Shift Photography With An Adapter

So after months of debate and research, I bit the bullet and bought Kipon Tilt-Shift Adapter. Unfortunately, the only adapter that worked with my setup was the m42 to Sony NEX model. Couldn't find one that worked with my Pentax camera (one exists for use with Hasselblad lenses, but I can't afford those lenses. haha)

This is my first attempt at tilt-shift and the first thing I learned is that I'm really bad at it. haha. The second thing I learned is that patience is something I thought I had, but still have a long ways to fully harness. I wasn't expecting any masterpieces from my first time out, so I'm ok with the fact that I didn't really get anything that I'd hang on my wall. I think that what I really wanted to take from today was whether or not the adapter was worth using or if it's best to just "tilt-shift" from Photoshop. I still don't think I know the answer to the question, but I'd like others' opinions on that matter. I honestly won't be doing tilt-shift photography often, but I can see it being something that would be cool every once in a while. Now, is that once in a while worth the $300? Would it be to you all?

In case anyone is wondering, the adapter is pretty solidly build. It definitely doesn't seem as easy to use as dedicated tilt-shifts, but it's also $300 bucks and has the ability to work with any m42 lens. I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions about the adapter. I tried the Takumar 35mm 3.5, Takumar 50mm 1.4, and Takumar 105mm 2.8. Vignetting was prominent on the 35mm when I shifted all the way, but none on tilts. Didn't notice any vignetting on the 50 or 105. Sorry about not including more images, but this is the only one that didn't have people's faces, so it's the only one I feel comfortable sharing. It was shot with the Takumar 35mm on a Sony A6000 at 3.5. Photo is from Salvation Mountain in Niland, CA. Just happened to be travelling through there today.

Attached Images

12-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing. I've been toying with the idea of tilt shift lenses, or a lensbaby. But nothing seems to be either in my budget or available for a Pentax mount. Interesting that you went the m42 adapter way in order to get what you needed. And even then, you couldn't put it on a pentax body. Guess I'm resigned to the fact that I need to spend more money that I'm willing to. Another project to put on the backburner!
12-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Thanks for sharing. I've been toying with the idea of tilt shift lenses, or a lensbaby. But nothing seems to be either in my budget or available for a Pentax mount. Interesting that you went the m42 adapter way in order to get what you needed. And even then, you couldn't put it on a pentax body. Guess I'm resigned to the fact that I need to spend more money that I'm willing to. Another project to put on the backburner!
I really debated the lensbaby, but the thought of spending hundreds on something I wouldn't like (or more than hundreds if I really did like it) kept me from ordering one. I also knew that it was going to feel like more of a toy than a lens. The adapter made sense since I have an a6000 that I haven't used in a while. The idea of being able to use my little used Takumars is what made me push click. Now, the debate of whether or not I'll keep the e-mount adapter is what I'm wrestling with. I do wish the adapter came in K-mount, but no luck.
12-21-2016, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I really debated the lensbaby, but the thought of spending hundreds on something I wouldn't like (or more than hundreds if I really did like it) kept me from ordering one. I also knew that it was going to feel like more of a toy than a lens. The adapter made sense since I have an a6000 that I haven't used in a while. The idea of being able to use my little used Takumars is what made me push click. Now, the debate of whether or not I'll keep the e-mount adapter is what I'm wrestling with. I do wish the adapter came in K-mount, but no luck.
The other reason I was eyeing the lensbaby was because of the aperture stop down thingies that I could use in my auto 110 lenses. But honestly, for the price of those plus shipping to Australia, it's just not worth it. I am a little shocked at how expensive it all is.

I've seen lots of tilt shift adapter thingies where you can mount helios lenses. It is tempting. But I think I'll just stick to my other little projects for now. So many things to explore. So little time!!!

12-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
The other reason I was eyeing the lensbaby was because of the aperture stop down thingies that I could use in my auto 110 lenses. But honestly, for the price of those plus shipping to Australia, it's just not worth it. I am a little shocked at how expensive it all is.

I've seen lots of tilt shift adapter thingies where you can mount helios lenses. It is tempting. But I think I'll just stick to my other little projects for now. So many things to explore. So little time!!!
I'm so scared to ask because it might be a new little project, but what helios adapters are you talking about (please don't let it be something cool.)
12-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

lol! i'm not 100% sure what i found a while ago.

but it was something similar to this: LENSBABY HELIOS 44-2 2/58mm for CANON TILT SHIFT CLEAN and CLEAR SAMPLES | eBay

Except it wasn't for a canon body.

There were lots of listings of these adapters with helios attached that would turn it into a tilt-shift lens. I've probably forgotten the search terms I used to find them now. It looked interesting, but again expensive - as in over $100 I think?

I have enough on my plate enlarger lenses, c mounts, etc etc and my Q to really try and stay true and not get even more distracted. But it seems you are already on the slippery slope Or at least further down than me.
12-22-2016, 05:07 AM   #7

Make a cheap one!

Planet Veato: Building a Tilt/Shift Lens
12-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

Some more Options:

Novoflex - Tilt-/Shift Bellows
Novoflex - Bellows attachment CASTBAL T/S
MIREX-Adapter f
A Nikon Nikkor PC manual Version with a Leitax Adapter to it
Or a classical DIY option: DIY Tilt Shift (the full boring write up) - Jon Martin Photo
Or a classical large format camera that can do it with adaptions to Pentax

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_camera

Last edited by UlrichSchiegg; 12-22-2016 at 12:15 PM.
06-03-2017, 03:49 AM   #9

Works excellent, and the lens is simply terrific. Leitax Mount. D Version Lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
06-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I think what your best bet would be is sell the adapter and get just a cheap tilt e-mount adapter and do the perspective control in post.
The one i prefer is the dial one by Selens or Pixco for $30ish
Image with 3.5/24mm Tak

A cheap way to get tilt shift is to buy a PC-Nikkor 2.8/35mm and add a Nikon to nex tilt adapter

My favorite tilt shift is this one. Its a Super-Multi-Coated Bellows Takumar 100mm F4 on an Asahi Bellows that I modified to tilt and shift

Here is the modified bellows with a 100 year old lens