Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dula.george Quote
I'm in Pennsylvania, plan to head SE based on current cloud cover forecasts. Right now my target is SE Tennessee around the Smokies, but that may change.
Check out the weather links on the eclipse2017.org page. They are a little discouraging for TN, especially the farther SE you go. (And the Smokies are called the Smokies because they're, well, "smoky"/misty.)
Total Solar Eclipse – 2017 August 21 | Eclipsophile
My target is Nashville, and it sounds like you could flip a coin whether you'll get a clear day or not. From what I've read, the odds are better in northwest TN. I do not want to sleep in the car, or to spend eclipse-day wiped out and bad-tempered from no sleep!... so if I have to run somewhere along the line, I'll be limited to how far I can get that day from my friend's house.

Filters? Am planning to get a step-up ring with as big a "step" as I can find for my 300mm lens, and glue Baader solar film into it.

07-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
I think your idea for two bodies is a great one, I will be doing as well. I would go for as much focal length as you have or can afford to rent, but 300mm should be fine. The K3 would be a good choice I think, but many here could break down the bodies better for your needs.

I would say NO, to the ND filters! Getting my gear ready as well, Shooting wide ( K1&15-30) or close both rentals. For solar shots K5IIs, Sigma 150-500 with home made solar filter, Bought two cheap UV filters 92mm and one 86/92 stepup ring and sandwich solar film between the two filters. Bought a sheet of solar film that reduces transmission by 1/1000th of 1% from Thousand Oaks Optical for around twenty dollars.

Good luck on your choice of location, will be in central Nebraska some where, but away from the masses! If you can get an extra 15-30 seconds out of the eclipse is big, cloud cover, haze etc. may be our bigger problem!

No expert just my thoughts, have fun!

Brian
It's been so long since I started the post that my situation on bodies has changed -- for the better!

I'm going to be running a K-3 and a K-70, and am planning to be in the Sandhills north of Ogallala. Just need to scout the best windmill for some foreground for the multi-exposure wide shot. I've driven enough of Nebraska (lived in Scottsbluff and Sidney) to know that wheat harvest will be over and most others won't have started.

Have my sheet of film from Thousand Oaks to use as a filter -- either on a 500 reflector or 55-300 zoom, Life is good. Now just practicing voodoo to get a clear day.

I appreciate those thoughts.

Jeff
08-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by NoCo Pentaxian Quote
It's been so long since I started the post that my situation on bodies has changed -- for the better!

I'm going to be running a K-3 and a K-70, and am planning to be in the Sandhills north of Ogallala. Just need to scout the best windmill for some foreground for the multi-exposure wide shot. I've driven enough of Nebraska (lived in Scottsbluff and Sidney) to know that wheat harvest will be over and most others won't have started.

Have my sheet of film from Thousand Oaks to use as a filter -- either on a 500 reflector or 55-300 zoom, Life is good. Now just practicing voodoo to get a clear day.

I appreciate those thoughts.

Jeff
Find any best settings with the k3 and the 55-300?
08-20-2017, 03:03 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just found this advice

How to use your smartphone to photograph the solar eclipse | The Washington Post

and not the same as photography but perhaps the best with small kids ????

Can’t find the protective glasses to watch the solar eclipse? Go old school. - The Washington Post

I like the waffle fingers and leafy tree suggestions the best

remember please:

" hey, lets be careful out there "

Safety first, second and always

don't risk your eyes or your equipment please

FYI:

just heard on cnn about a paid app less than $2 - which talks you thru the eclipse process ( but only if you are in the path of totality ) based on your GPS

Solar Eclipse Timer created by a Dr. from Georgia:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxwoodastronomy.solareclipsetimer

" ONLY Useful If You Are Going To The PATH Of TOTALITY! Solar Eclipse Timer is your smart phone guide for a total solar eclipse. It's like having your own personal astronomer help you on Eclipse Day! It is simple to use and has many unique features! Just get into the path of totality for the solar eclipse, and then with just 2 taps on your device, the app is ready to "talk" you through the eclipse. (Note: It's NOT useful in an area with only a partial eclipse. It's for people getting to the path of totality) "ALWAYS USE EYE PROTECTION DURING THE PARTIAL PHASES OF A SOLAR ECLIPSE! OR EVEN WHEN IT IS BRIGHT! NOT DOING SO CAN CAUSE EYE DAMAGE!

We are NOT liable for misuse of the app causing inaccurate timing or the lack of eye safety precautions during the observation of a solar eclipse.

The "glasses off" and "glasses on" statements are a guide based on the calculated contact times. The timing can be affected by your phone's clock and the shape of the shadow. You are responsible the timing. Glasses should be ON if it's bright! "

could be helpful regardless of whether you are fooling with equipment or not

I personally am just going to enjoy the moment and not attempt any photography of any type.

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-20-2017 at 05:17 AM.
08-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll be taking my lunch late at work, and setting up in Northern Indiana. Partly cloudy conditions are expected.

I have an old cell phone to burn up if needed, for the wide angle shots, but I plan on using my K-5 with the K-300mm lens.

I did a couple sample shots today with a home made filter.

Ended up f11, 1/3200 ISO 100
As shot through the filter

I'm pretty sure that is sunspot region 2671, and 2672 just entering on the LH side, if not, then its just crap on the filter.

I adjusted white balance to get a more "sun" color.