Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pricing On-Location Commercial Shoot (with Travel)

Hi, all!

Well, I'm excited to report that I have some interest from a friend who works in the golf course design business. He asked me to submit a fee schedule for shooting a new course.

The first job would be about 1,000 miles from me, so I would need to consider the following:

- Travel expenses (air, hotel, car, meals)
- Creative fee (likely beauty shots of 18 holes + clubhouse exterior)
- Usage (without naming names, I promise you've heard of this design company and its legendary designer . . . images would likely be used on their website, in collateral materials, and possibly for national advertising purposes)

I have NO idea where to begin. Everything I've done to this point has been licensing of existing stock and/or assignments for small business clients in my town. I'm confident I can deliver the images they want, but I haven't a clue where to begin with pricing.

Do I charge them for the travel? Do I waive the creative fee if they cover all travel costs? Do I estimate usage now, or do that at a later date each time they want to use a particular shot?

Also, there is potential for MANY more assignments. This firm is working on projects worldwide right now, so if I do well with this project, the next one could be in Dubai . . . Egypt . . . Japan. That's why I'm working diligently to make sure I do everything in a very professional manner and dot all my i's, cross my t's, etc.

ANY advice would be appreciated!

08-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ben or one of the others who work full time would be the best to answer this but if they don't cover your travel expenses, then yes, you would include that in your fee. And if it's E.S. out of Ponte Vedra and his partner A.P. out of you know where, then they can afford whatever you charge. LOL

CW
08-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, CW! I'm new here, and I'll look for Ben. Would you mind telling me his username?

I'm confident they can afford what I ask. However, I want to find that sweet spot where they can afford it *and* say yes . . . as opposed to saying no when quoting 10% less would've gotten the deal. Five years from now, I'll know where that line is. Right now, I'm totally green!
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Basically, you are going to charge for everything they don't pay for. I'm sending you a PM

08-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I may interject here - I traveled extensively for IT related work and can tell you that if there's one place you can easily get burned is travel expenses.

Always scout out the cost of hotel stays, meals, and car rentals if needed for the time of year you will be going. Last thing you want is to check out prices now, then find out the week you'll be there is some kind of tournament week and all hotels are at peak season prices.

Always have a contract outlining the basics of any photoshoot, plus:
  • what is covered and what is not, including expenses and reimbursement conditions (advances, once billed, expense reports submitted, etc) and how long before you get that money.
  • For expenses, use the IRS guide (lists city/states for acceptable hotel/car rental/meals for per diems)
You can use this first trip as your gauge - Have them agree to cover your expenses for this trip and charge them a reduced fee for your services. Whatever you decide, never do anything for - people will wonder why and how good can you be if you're giving it away.

As far as usage, if it's going to be that extensive you might want to contact a lawyer or get an agent or some such thing. I defer to the uber commercial photogs on that one .
08-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
if there's one place you can easily get burned is travel expenses.

Always scout out the cost of hotel stays, meals, and car rentals if needed for the time of year you will be going. Last thing you want is to check out prices now, then find out the week you'll be there is some kind of tournament week and all hotels are at peak season prices.
Great point. Hotel rooms, in and around Jacksonville the week of Georgia-Florida are about 50-100% higher than normal as an example and rental cars are non-existent. So just about anything, tournament, football game, NASCAR race, convention, etc. can get you.

CW
08-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, and airfare is so up and down right now. I visited North Carolina last month and considered flying into Asheville. $600+! Craziness. I used to work in Jacksonville and used to be able to get flights to and from the Midwest for something like $168 on a regular basis.

I wonder if it would make sense to add something like "travel expenses subject to market value at the time of assignment." ?!