Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Autofocus is still useful for field macro. So is learning to switch between manual and auto quickly. So is practice, practice, practice. Learn how the camera focuses and you'll be able to use the autofocus.

Nearly all my work is hand-held. I added a Sunpak ringflash last year, firing manually, and that has been a big boost.
Settings: P mode, 1/160sec, f16, ISO100. Flash fire 1/8 or 1/4 depending on conditions. Adjust exposure in Lightroom.
I'll make note of those settings for a starting place!
Did you buy the Sunpak from me last year?! Hope it's still working for ya!

I've been watching videos of guys in the field with reversed lenses on tubes and crazy DIY flash diffusers... amazes me how they can walk away with clean crisp photos and no focus stacking...

I'm looking forward to trying some "field" macro work, ideally I'll have success hand-held. I just can't imagine using a tripod and focus slider on a windy day with moving subjects at a 1:1 macro or higher.

---------- Post added 01-20-17 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
And don't expect all of them to be good. With macro, the keeper rate is usually much lower than with other, more usual, styles of photography.
Right!
And my wildlife photography is already pretty low... Maybe a 10% keeper rate?!

I'll set the bar low.
0.5% keeper rate on Macro would be great!

That's what I love about digital! I can fire 450 shots and delete all of them at no cost other than time (and likely frustration)

01-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I'll make note of those settings for a starting place!
Did you buy the Sunpak from me last year?! Hope it's still working for ya!
Yes, back in late 2015. Once I decided to ignore the "automatic" setting on the flash and use it as a manual fill flash it's been revolutionary. It makes the rig a bit heavy, though... It is pretty thrifty in battery use, though, I guess 1/8 pop doesn't draw much juice, and it recharges very quickly at that rate. I did buy the Pentax hotshoe module from a dude in Japan.

It's all practice. If I compare my field work from 2014, 2015 and 2016 (the years I've done serious field work) the keeper rate has increased markedly. Now the only images I usually throw out are where I missed the subject, not the focus. Darned bees are always so busy...

I'm giving a presentation at this years Wild Things conference in a month. It's a slideshow augmented with information aimed at enthusiasts and curious people. It will be presented chronologically, with pictures from different locations and years. This blend should give an idea of what can be seen as the year progresses. I need to limit it to 15 minutes, and am now at the point where I can start practicing.
Wild Things Conference 2017 - Wild Things Community
01-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good lighting is a must especially with 1:1 macro lens where the working distance is very short. I use the sunpak dx-8r ring flash also. It really improved my images. I have tried other flash setups with the DIY diffusers etc. and always went back to the ring flash. Natural light is fine when you can get it on your subject with the right setup. Tripods are ok for static images of flowers, etc. but are really just too bulky and take to long to setup if you are chasing insects. Shooting on a windy day can be a problem unless you have a wind block. I never use auto focus, but then my macro lens are all manual anyway. Catch in focus is your friend, use it.
01-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great setup you have. I've been having a go at Macro for some years now, and found (after many trail and even more error) my own style (kind off . Natural light (I do use use reflectors), flexible tripod, selective DOF and focus,, focusreel and real patience. One thing I find especially important in my macro work is that the background must be as pleasing as the subject. No distractions and it has to add to the subject. In order to achieve that I bend, crawl, reposition, check and start over again. I rarely shoot higher than F9 to keep the background smooth. I use my focusreel (Novoflex Castel-Q) to make multiple shots and stack them later in PP. For stationary subjects and even some less stationary this gives a in my eyes pleasing result. As said before, many approaches, many techniques and even more preferences. From subject super sharp and as much off it as possible to almost abstract. Shoot, try, fail and succeed. Find your way and may your journey be a great one! Looking foreward to your work

01-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Catch in focus is your friend, use it.
I don't think catch in focus is possible with the DFA100mm WR without taping over contacts to disable the AF. The focus-clamp on the older non-WR DFA100mm does act as an AF/MF switch and will enable catch in focus though.

Either version has quick-shift focus. When coupled with back-button focus, this makes switching between auto and manual focus seamless.

Regarding AF, I should also say I found it pretty useless with my older k100d. It wasn't until getting a k5iis that I found it reliably useful in certain circumstances.
01-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yes, back in late 2015. Once I decided to ignore the "automatic" setting on the flash and use it as a manual fill flash it's been revolutionary. It makes the rig a bit heavy, though... It is pretty thrifty in battery use, though, I guess 1/8 pop doesn't draw much juice, and it recharges very quickly at that rate. I did buy the Pentax hotshoe module from a dude in Japan.

It's all practice. If I compare my field work from 2014, 2015 and 2016 (the years I've done serious field work) the keeper rate has increased markedly. Now the only images I usually throw out are where I missed the subject, not the focus. Darned bees are always so busy...

I'm giving a presentation at this years Wild Things conference in a month. It's a slideshow augmented with information aimed at enthusiasts and curious people. It will be presented chronologically, with pictures from different locations and years. This blend should give an idea of what can be seen as the year progresses. I need to limit it to 15 minutes, and am now at the point where I can start practicing.
Wild Things Conference 2017 - Wild Things Community
Congrats and best of luck on the presentation!

I'm always looking at ways to improve my photography. So this should be a challenge, but a welcomed one at that!
01-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another video you might consider watching.

01-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Another video you might consider watching.

An Introduction to Macro Photography - YouTube
Ah yeah I've seen this video before...
He never mentioned reversing the lens though, which I thought was kind of lame.

He said the cheapest way to get macro shots is with a close-up filter, followed by extension tubes, then dedicated macro lens.
For $2 you can achieve macro with almost any manual aperture lens and reversal ring...
01-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I don't think catch in focus is possible with the DFA100mm WR without taping over contacts to disable the AF. The focus-clamp on the older non-WR DFA100mm does act as an AF/MF switch and will enable catch in focus though.

Either version has quick-shift focus. When coupled with back-button focus, this makes switching between auto and manual focus seamless.

Regarding AF, I should also say I found it pretty useless with my older k100d. It wasn't until getting a k5iis that I found it reliably useful in certain circumstances.

Actually you can use catch in focus with any AF lens by holding in the release button.
01-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Actually you can use catch in focus with any AF lens by holding in the release button.
A feature I really have no idea how to properly use...
Might have to get the manual out again
01-25-2017, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The mounting plate came in last night and I got my Macro rig setup finally!

K-3ii + HD1.4xTC + DFA100WR + AF201fg mounted to a mini ballhead on an dual camera mounting plate, Vello cable running flash off-camera.
So far it's working perfectly!
Just need to figure out some sort of flash diffuser.

It was dark outside by then, so I just took a test shot of some green coffee beans I was about to roast on the grill.

The shots of my rig are from my smartphone, so not the greatest quality...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 01-25-2017 at 07:04 AM.
01-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a great set-up you have there, you can’t go wrong with the DFA 100mm Macro wr, I do most of my macro work with it and hardly gets separated from my camera. The combination of the HD1.4xTC + DFA100WR works great as well all thought you will lose a bit micro contrast and light but with the flash rig it should be no problem. Again a fantastic combination that will deliver, it does for me. Congrats and I’m sure you will love it.
01-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Practice !
Understanding DOF
Aperture
Shutter Speed and ISO ...

Once you understand DOF , and how Aperture , shutter speed and ISO relate to it ( DOF ) , then you are on your way ..

How do you plan to Macro ?
Free hand , tripod , with or without a flash ?
Really close ( 1:1 ) or a little further away .

I would suggest buying a figurine , a small one ..
Set your camera on a tripod , and start taking photo's of it ..
Start at maybe 12 inches and work your way closer ..
My suggestion would be to maintain a decent shutter speed and see what happens with aperture and ISO ..
Then swap to maintaining a decent aperture and see what happens with shutter speed and ISO
And so forth ..

This will hopefully give you some idea at what distance you can take a decent photo ...

Can you guess the distance from the front of the lens to the subject in this photo ?
01-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
How do you plan to Macro ?
Free hand , tripod , with or without a flash ?
Really close ( 1:1 ) or a little further away .
I plan to shoot mainly free hand with the flash rig I have setup. It's very portable and balanced well with the battery grip on my K-3ii.
I like the added distance from the 1.4xTC, so I'll likely shoot most of the time with that + DFA100 to give me 140mm with a magnification of 1.4 : 1

I'd like to shoot at maximum magnification, but each subject will help determine that...

I would suggest buying a figurine , a small one ..
Set your camera on a tripod , and start taking photo's of it ..
Great idea!
I've started experimenting with the coffee beans I'm roasting at home. The green beans, prior to roasting, are much smaller than roasted beans, and they are a dull grey/green color.
Each roast level (city, full city, vienna) brings different characteristics to the bean. The beans get darker, puff up, smooth out and start to crack in some cases. A vienna roast might start to release oils after a few days, which creates a challenge when using the flash.

Fascinating how one subject (the coffee bean) can take so many transformations. Really makes an interesting macro subject.

Can you guess the distance from the front of the lens to the subject in this photo ?
If I had to guess...
38mm or roughly an inch and a half?
01-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Excellent Guess ( 45mm )