Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Novoflex Bellows question

Hi guys,

I saw a local listing for a Novoflex Auto bellows for 6$. (I found this thread earlier, it's the same model. I do realize that it says "K mount" on this one..)

I probably should just go for it but I don't want to end up with something I can't use

The seller says that it works with various camera types, Konica, autoreflex T, T3, Nikon and Pentax.

However, after a quick google I couldn't find out if such adapters existed or not?
I'm also slightly confused as to what lenses fit, on ebay some include Novoflex lenses, which I assume would use a different mount, or did those come with adapters?

I hope someone here can help me out, though I might end up buying it anyways!

01-28-2017, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The problem with a lot of these bellows units is that they were designed in the era before built-in flashes, and the overhang on the mount that these created. For example, the Asahi Pentax M42-series bellows have a removable piece that screws into the actual M42 mount on the camera, and then you slot that into the bellows system and lock down a set screw. Unfortunately that set screw has clearance issues on the K-5 (as a result of which I have a mounting scratch) and is only just able to mount, and barely fails to have the same issue on the *istDS.

For all I know, similar issues exist here (though with a twist-lock bayonet mount it seems unlikely) and you should check that whoever is selling it - or someone, anyone else - has used this system with the same camera as you own. Then again, $6 is a steal for what you're getting and worth the risk IMO. Put it on the marketplace here and someone is bound to buy it from you. If all else fails and macro is all you want it for, you can buy a dirt-cheap set of K mount extension tubes (less than $10 on ebay) and interpose one between the camera and the bellows.
01-28-2017, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW I'm the OP from the earlier thread you linked.

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
The seller says that it works with various camera types, Konica, autoreflex T, T3, Nikon and Pentax.
Might be T-mount. Or could be M42, or M39. Whatever it is, I'd be surprised if the seller had all the necessary adapters. I'd be even more surprised if such a universal mount bellows has the aperture linkages my unit has.
01-28-2017, 09:27 AM - 3 Likes   #4

Just get a cheap short extension tube to put between the camera and the bellows. That solves the overhang problem. It means you lose the minimum extension on the bellows but who uses that? Do you need infinity focus using 100mm bellows macro lens?

For six bucks you can't really lose unless it is for something like a Konica mount or the bellows is trashed.

01-28-2017, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Just get a cheap short extension tube to put between the camera and the bellows. That solves the overhang problem. It means you lose the minimum extension on the bellows but who uses that? Do you need infinity focus using 100mm bellows macro lens?

For six bucks you can't really lose unless it is for something like a Konica mount or the bellows is trashed.
Beat me to it. Extension tubes solve the overhang easily.
01-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You said all I needed to hear guys!

I just really didn't want to end up with anything that I can't use, my cabinet shelf is overflowing already and my gear is scattered all over the flat to everyone's annoyance. 'Have you seen xyz lens?? Where did I put my camera? No the other one!'
Last week I bought a pretty useless 500/8 for giggles that doesn't even fit into that cabinet!

I get pretty grumpy when I have a cold (which I have now) and get very sensitive and jumpy to seeing how badly I clear up after doing something. That said, I did start a small box for lenses I can sell on though, so I should be fine with acquiring the bellows.

Awaiting a reply from the seller currently.
01-30-2017, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Novoflex Bellows

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
You said all I needed to hear guys!

I just really didn't want to end up with anything that I can't use, my cabinet shelf is overflowing already and my gear is scattered all over the flat to everyone's annoyance. 'Have you seen xyz lens?? Where did I put my camera? No the other one!'
Last week I bought a pretty useless 500/8 for giggles that doesn't even fit into that cabinet!

I get pretty grumpy when I have a cold (which I have now) and get very sensitive and jumpy to seeing how badly I clear up after doing something. That said, I did start a small box for lenses I can sell on though, so I should be fine with acquiring the bellows.

Awaiting a reply from the seller currently.
I have the Auto Version of the Novoflex Bellows called the BALPENT-AS

:: Kalabhai ::

It is an excellent, compact, aperture coupled bellows. If this is what you are being offered buy it. If you need a digital copy of the manual I will provide you one if you give me your email address.

Murray

02-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look what I received in the post today!

It even includes extension rings, though I would have had some

Bellows seem in excellent condition and operation is very smooth!

Last edited by Topsy; 02-02-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: fixed image link, I hope!
02-02-2017, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Pic link is broken.
02-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Pic link is broken.
Very strange, thanks for letting me know!
I think it should be working now.
02-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #11

What mount is it for?
02-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What mount is it for?
m42.

Now I just need to find the elusive m42 adapter that lets you mount things straight. I need to order some more anyways, maybe there will be one in the lot.
02-02-2017, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

If it's anything like the Asahi models, the camera-end fitting should be capable of rotation to accommodate this fact (and the need to switch between portrait and landscape), possibly held in place by a set screw.