Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

You can buy those super cheap extension tubes they sell on eBay. The ones with only one set of bayonet mounts. Put the female K-mount on one end and leave the male bayonet off to make a lens hood - exposed rear bits cover.

02-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can buy those super cheap extension tubes they sell on eBay. The ones with only one set of bayonet mounts. Put the female K-mount on one end and leave the male bayonet off to make a lens hood - exposed rear bits cover.
Do you mean these? Which of these would act as a cover?
02-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #18

Take the female mount (on the right, call it A), mount it on the reversed lens. Take one or more of the inner rings (say #2) and screw it on to part A. Done. Leave off the male part (all the way on the left). Less chance of vignetting without it.
02-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #19
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Göran Quote
Do you mean these? Which of these would act as a cover?
Not a cover.

A hood.

02-10-2017, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #20

It would act as a hood with the benefit that the rear bits of the lens would then be recessed and thus have some protection.

If you want a cover just use a rear lens cap. If just want to protect the rear bits use part A or take a rear lens cap and out out the top (or bottom) whatever the case may be
02-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a cover just use a rear lens cap.
My thoughts exactly.
02-11-2017, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
My thoughts exactly.
That's what I do

To go back to the original question, you need a reversing ring that has the same mm as the filter thread of the lens you intend to reverse (as that's what you'll use to mount it). Reversing the 50 onto the 18-135 won't work all that great I think. You really want the main one to be larger than the reversed one - so I think you won't get anything great for the 18-50 part of that zoom. Don't know about the 50-135 range, but small aperture zooms give unpredictable results when used as the main lens on a coupled reverse lens setup, I've had much more luck with primes. I have a site about this sort of thing you might find useful: see http://extreme-macro.co.uk/coupled-reverse-lens/

Good luck!

-Johan

Last edited by Nass; 02-11-2017 at 01:09 AM.
02-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #23

That adapter would probably work as a hood but because m4/3 has a much smaller diameter you may get vignetting. Or maybe not since macro can have a rather narrow field of view.

Here is a used set of the inexpensive screw together type that I mentioned earlier. Not much more than the above adapter.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Macro-Extension-Tube-Rings-For-Pentax-K-Mount-near-mi...oAAOSwo4pYl3uO
02-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here is a used set of the inexpensive screw together type that I mentioned earlier. Not much more than the above adapter.

Macro Extension Tube Rings For Pentax K Mount near mi oAAOSwo4pYl3uO | eBay
I sort of like those, particularly if auto-aperture actuation is not required.

Steve
02-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I sort of like those, particularly if auto-aperture actuation is not required
Just search eBay for "extension tubes Pentax" and you'll find maybe a dozen vendor (mostly in China) selling them.

You can most likely mix and match different sets of camera mounts too.
02-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #26
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The possibilities are endless, only limited by the imagination of the individual.
02-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #27

Original Poster
Just a quick follow-up: What would be my best way forward, after getting my reverse lens setup going, to get even higher magnification? My initial thought was 1x macro lenses, but I already got 1x magnification(and beyond) with this setup. Would any of you recommend a bellows? Should I open a new topic for this?

I'm asking because, at what point is buying all these accesories more expensive than "just" buying more expensive macro lenses?

Bellows sound promising because I am currently trying focus stacking.

Last edited by Göran; 02-13-2017 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added 2nd question
02-13-2017, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #28

Just a quick follow-up: What would be my best way forward, after getting my reverse lens setup going, to get even higher magnification? My initial thought was 1x macro lenses, but I already got 1x magnification(and beyond) with this setup. Would any of you recommend a bellows? Should I open a new topic for this?

I'm asking because, at what point is buying all these accesories more expensive than "just" buying more expensive macro lenses?

Bellows sound promising because I am currently trying focus stacking.
Extreme Macro Photography
02-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #29

Original Poster
I've been visiting that site very frequently, but would like additional input. Also, I asked about forum specific stuff, and this doesn't answer my question.
02-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The accessories make the process more doable. To be successful you need good equipment. For instance, a focusing rail for focus stacking. Get a cheap $20 rail setup off of eBay and you will not have good, repeatable results. Spend the cash on a decent rail setup and your success rate will increase dramatically.

And when things work well you will be happier with the results and more likely to try more.

As for 'expensive' macro lenses, well, some of my best lenses for close up photography are older manual lenses, M, A, an Industar 61 50mm f2.8 ($50 from the Ukraine, brand new). I've spent more on the accessories than lenses.

And those lenses get used for other photography work too.

Win win.