Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What about the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport? That shouldn't take you to long, would give you plenty of time for pictures at the beach, and a trip to Alsea Falls on your way back to I-5?

08-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add the dams along the Columbia River, and Dry Falls (although these might be too far out from Seattle and will be all-day expeditions out into the wilds of central Washington )...

Deception Pass, at the north end of Whidbey Island. Great bridge views (from it, under it, along the arches, it's just a really cool place!).

Boeing Field in Seattle, and the aviation museum there.

Steve gave you a pretty darn complete listing of the top spots to hit, though.

Jim (born & raised in Seattle before Uncle Sam transplanted me)
08-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've travelled to Seattle and Portland several times (business and pleasure) and there are so many great sights (and sites) that you really can't do it justice in 4-5 days -- maybe 4-5 WEEKS!!

Only thing I might add - if you're into aviation the Boeing Museum of Flight Museum of Flight is really interesting. I've been several times and see new stuff each time.

Have a ball - great area of the country to visit!!!
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #19

Hmm...looking at the list so far the only thing I would toss in (given time available of course) would be the Lake Quinault area (Olympic Peninsula) and the coast northwest of there (Hoh and Quinault Rainforests, La Push/Mora/Rialto), Kalaloch, Ruby Beach).

08-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I was just up in that area 12-19 July spending time with my grandson (he lives in Olympia). I can save you a trip. There is nothing left to shoot, because I shot it all! Trust me, you could spend a month there and barely scratch the surface. I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island in the mid-60's (yep, I'm truly a senior citizen), and it is one of the prettiest areas you can visit. Mt. Rainer is awsome on a sunny day. Take plenty of memory cards and have a blast. People living there are very friendly also.
08-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You got a great list of places, so I'll just add some odds an ends for many types of photography. There is no order to this just thoughts of things I like in the NW.

I would second the recommendation to see the San Juan Islands. My wife and I got to see a killer whale pod come by the Lime Kiln lighthouse on Friday Harbor. We were on shore because I think the whale watching boat tours are disruptive and probably harmful to the whales. You can watch the boats circle the pods, by law they have to keep some distance, probably a 1/2 mile or so, but the way they are followed is pretty horrific to me. Anyway, half the pod came up to the shore, the whales where about 50 vertical feet and maybe 15 horizontal feet away. They would even stop and poke their heads up to take a look at all the people. There were probably about 100 people on the shore that day.

In traveling the Columbia Gorge you might want to stop by Maryhill Museum and the surrounding area. Coming back on 14 on the Washington side is a much different experience than driving up 84 on the Oregon side. There is an old decrepit spa, hot water from a geothermal source, on the way, but I can't remember the name.

If you would like to stay at a hotel that offers some of the flavor of Portland, I would suggest the Edgefield. Be sure to try the beer. If you can, see something at the Crystal Ballroom. I'm not sure how many floating ballrooms still exist.

My favorite beer is not a McMenamins', but a Deschutes Brewery beer called Black Butte Porter. It is definitely worth trying if you like beer. There are probably more microbrews in the NW than you can try in 5 days, so might as well start with the best.

If you head down to Smith Rock, be sure to stop at Oregon's Mini Grand Canyon, Cove Palisades.

In Portland you might visit the 100+ year old Oaks Park although you'll be too early for Oktoberfest. I guess that would leave out Leavenworth in WA too.

The Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall is worth a look. The Rose Garden and Pittock Mansion offer a beautiful view of Portland.

If you are planning on seeing Silver Falls, on the way there is the Swan Island Dahlia Farm, America's largest dahlia grower. My wife and I used to hit it and the Wooden Shoe Tulip farm every year.

If you are into birding there is the Sauvie Island Wildlife Area. It is pretty close to the nude beach so be careful where you point your lens.

In Seattle: visit the Jimmy Hendrix statue on Capitol Hill or visiting his memorial, see Lincoln's Toe Truck, visit Queen Anne and Kerry Park too.

There is usually something happening at Alki beach in West Seattle. The Hiram M Chittenden Locks are really interesting. Don't forget the UPS park on Second Avenue and Main Street. Who would have thought UPS started a 100 years ago in Seattle?

South of Seattle is Tacoma and the Chihuly Bridge of Glass.

Heceta Head lighthouse has a great tide pool on the beach below it. The pools are full of starfish, muscles, and sea urchins. The starfish are red and orange and the urchins are a lime green, all in pools about 8 inch deep on top of dark basalt rock. The colors are fantastic

It is not in your driving distance, but Crater Lake is one of the most beautiful places in the US.

Another site too far, would be Newberry National Volcanic Monument and the Big Obsidian Flow. It also has the mile long Lava River Cave . These to me are unique to Oregon.

I love the geology of Oregon, so much to see. Traveling highway 242 is pretty interesting as well, as it gives direct access to a great lava field.

Too far still is the Steens Mountain. This site, not mine, has some photos that provide an idea of the area.

Farmers markets are a great way to spend some time and money. Portland has its Saturday market that is a lot less farmer and more arts and crafts. The other Sat. market happens on the Portland State grounds in downtown and is more baked goods and cheeses, with a little vegetable. There is a Thursday's market that is pretty small and maybe doesn't exist anymore. Vancouver WA has a farmers market that is more open and less crowded, lots of people with dogs, lots of vegetables, a little craft.

You should visit Powell's Book Store as it is the largest independent new and used book store. Catty corner to Powell's is a pizza joint, it is pretty interesting as well as most of that block. This block and Pioneer Square will probably offer some good street photography opportunities.

Also in the book category, the Portland downtown Central library is really beautiful as well as being the oldest library west of the Mississippi. Seattle has a new library and its modern look looks interesting to me.

In Vancouver WA, it is just across the Columbia River, heading out to Frenchman's Bar can be pretty interesting when the large ships come in.

The 205 bridge on the Washington side is pretty interesting. There is a bike path that starts under the bridge and I am always amazed at how tall the bridge is there.

I probably should stop. The one thing about the NW is the great food. You'll find all types of great food and most is not going to cost a lot. Stay out of the chain restaurants and you will eat very well.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-09-2008 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Adding Chihuly Bridge of Glass
08-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for these great suggestions in your replies!

I have some homework to do... The options could boggle your mind!!

Regards,
Marc

08-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #23

I'll second the Smith Rock and Cove Palisades...and Newberry and Crater Lake for that matter. Heck of alot of drive time for all that though, especially from Portland.

I'm biased though, I live around 5 miles from Smith Rock
08-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
You got a great list of places, so I'll just add some odds an ends for many types of photography. There is no order to this just thoughts of things I like in the NW.

In traveling the Columbia Gorge you might want to stop by Maryhill Museum and the surrounding area. Coming back on 14 on the Washington side is a much different experience than driving up 84 on the Oregon side. There is an old decrepit spa, hot water from a geothermal source, on the way, but I can't remember the name.
St. Martin's Hot Springs near Carson. Buy the full "cure"...hot mineral bath and towel/blanket wrap followed by 1/2 hour massage...

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
If you are planning on seeing Silver Falls, on the way there is the Swan Island Dahlia Farm, America's largest dahlia grower.
Here are two samples: