Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are still a couple of questions here:

1) Will you be working with the original digital files supplied by the "friend"? (This must be a definete YES, otherwise it means scanning bad prints... which is a NO NO here)

2) Is the client expecting new prints on everything? In this case, you should also consider the print cost and print resale value for your client.

As some said in previous posts, a rate charge for $50 per hour is decent, but you will be expected to tell about how many hours it should take. Ask for the CD and examin the pictures. Evaluate their potential to be fixed and determine how many are reasonably fixable. If work is basically exposure correction, color balancing, WB balancing and a bit of burning and dodging, then the workflow should be straight and without much hazzle. I would estimate at least 6 to 10 pictures per hour.

You'll have to compare your final numbers on your initial quote for the job (picture taking). Remember that your client would feel a bit strange if your original estimate was for $300 and the photo fixing job is for $500.

Good luck and let us know how did it go.

Robert

08-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also agree with Dave/Thomas, and I request half down up front before I commit. That's after I confirm all of the details.

Be advised I wanted to hit a sweet spot, and I charge more than $50/hour, and it's never been a problem. I prefer hourly, since I got burned once on a flat rate estimate.... My hourly rate may go up soon, since I have some good news coming in a letter soon...

Regards,
Marc
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think before you even consider taking on the job, you need to decide if photo re-touching is something you want to do for your business.

I don't think there is any harm in stating that it is simply beyond what you can afford, depending on the quantity involved and the total scope of what needs to be done. To be really honest, and assuming that Gaelen is right and some immages might take 45 minutes to sort out, even a modest samling of 3-4 images as a trial retouch, with a distribution from best to worst could take you 2-3 hours just to estimate the scope.

There is no need to attract future business by fixing the photos, because the job has come back to you to sort out, so they already know and to some extent have admitted you would do better.

Its up to you to decide if this is really your business, it could bring some consistent money,