Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 11:08 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Foot operated shutter trigger

I have two grandsons who play minor hockey and they like me to video their games, as do the other players and their parents. They also like me to photograph the games as well, which makes for a bit of a problem.

I've been experimenting using a remote camera, using two Yongui RF603s to fire the shutter. At the rink I fasten a Manfrotto Super Clamp, with my camera on a 237HD flex arm, to the rink apron. I set the camera to manual exposure and focus, prefocused on the area in front of the net. I set the camera for 5 shots in multiple exposure (+- 0.3 stops). I've tried 'high-speed continuous shooting' but that seemed like overkill.

Trying to hold and fire the trigger while operating the video camera is cumbersome, so I thought a foot operated trigger might be a good idea. I searched the web but couldn't find anything to buy although I did come across some instructions on how to build one. One article suggested using a keyboard sustain pedal as the trigger.

On ebay I ordered a cheap sustain pedal which came with a 3.5mm male plug, as well as a 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male cable.

I plugged this into my K5 and it worked as I hoped. The controller only has two wires so autofocus doesn't work but that's not an issue for me as I'm prefocusing on the hockey net.

I hook up the controller to camera using a 10 foot extension cable, and have the foot controller next to where I'm videoing. Then when the action is in front of the net I fire off a series of shots.

I do get lots of discards with players blocking the shots but some come out quite good. I'm sure some more practice will improve my technique.

If you want to check out my hockey videos they're on Youtube. I'm using a Panasonic HC-X900M camcorder, mounted on a Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 monpod with fluid head, with a Feelworld FW759 7" HDMI monitor attached (makes following the puck a little easier).

Attached Images

03-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Clever! Nice pics too.
03-06-2017, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fred,
You made my day. I'm suffering from tremors so holding the camera steady let alone shooting is near impossible. Enter Fred and the foot pedal. I know now it will help.
Thanks,
RONC
03-06-2017, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Fred,
You made my day. I'm suffering from tremors so holding the camera steady let alone shooting is near impossible. Enter Fred and the foot pedal. I know now it will help.
Thanks,
RONC
Glad to be of help. For less than $10 its well worth trying out. I think I'll get another one then I can do my own version of 'Riverdance' while I'm shooting