Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Pic" up lines

I have literally zero experience taking people pics. Its just so much easier takinga pic of wild life,scenery and inanimate objects. No social interaction, limited permission required.My only pics of people are family. The sad thing is I like taking people pictures and have in previous jobs for the company I used to work for...every event for years. But that was easy . The company took care of permissions and such. I see so many people out and about I would love to photograph but have no clue how to even approach them about it. At most I snap a candid shot where they arent identifiable but I would like to do more.

Im a country bumkin not too accustomed to cities so that doesnt help.

So let me ask you street photographers... how do you do it? How do you approach potential subjects? Im not shy so to speak just overly mindful of privacy and personal space.

Any tips?

Thank you,
Al

03-12-2017, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Hi, I'm <name>. I love your <shirt/hair/sunglasses/outfit/etc.>! Would you mind if I photographed you?"
03-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lol..well its certainly different from stealthily sneaking up on a bird!
Thank you Alex!
03-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe it depends mostly of your inner attitude which is readable by people. Meaning if you feel you do something wrong, or you are not comfortable doing it, your attitude shows even you don't notice it. At least that what I experienced when I had problem shooting people. I still do, but not to that extend any more. When I used to try to approach people with that formal question "may I?", I felt just weird. I've been waiting for "no", and it was usually "no".

I even thought that I'm becoming kind of anti-social
Walking around with other photographers helped. To watch how they approach people, how easy it is. Walking around various fairs when people are camera friendly and will pose for you, helps to develop skills of interacting with your potential "models" as well.

Before I would approach people, offer my e-mail, I can send you picture, blah-blah-blah... Recently I've been photographing morning fog on the pier, and suddenly a group of bicyclists stopped there. I just started shooting them, and I was noticed by them of course. I smiled and said that they look great on foggy background, it's just beautiful. Before I noticed, they started posing, and gave me (not I did) their e-mails, and asked to send them pictures. I have not thought about rules, permissions, etc. I was open and natural, and friendly of course. That work the best. But it all about mind first. If you are not relaxed, people will feel it.

03-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
"Hi, I'm <name>. I love your <shirt/hair/sunglasses/outfit/etc.>! Would you mind if I photographed you?"
This!
That is what I do.
03-13-2017, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are times to ask, plenty of them, and I agree simply introduce your self, but there are a few times when candid shots are needed, asking every time will miss those great candid shots.
03-13-2017, 03:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
There are times to ask, plenty of them, and I agree simply introduce your self, but there are a few times when candid shots are needed, asking every time will miss those great candid shots.
What I do in such occasions is take the shot, then I go to the subject, show him/her the pic and ask for his/her permission to keep it. From my experience, if the pic is nice there are 90% chances that the subject will agree. Most likely he/she will also like to get into possession of the picture, so be prepared to exchange contacts. I'm not a pro, but if I were I would consider this as a possibility to get a new customer.

Of course there were times when I was noticed and the subject stopped me before even taking the shot, but I think that's just something you have to accept.

Last edited by Hattifnatt; 03-13-2017 at 06:38 AM.
03-13-2017, 03:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes fully agree

03-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Agreed.
03-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips here. I guess I just need to wade in an introduce myself. I'm not a business strictly hobby, but I was thinking of maybe making a business type card with my contact on it, to give them so they could email me for the pics. Good idea?
If you had that communication established and wanted to use a picture that came out particularly good, you could email a release form and explain what its for? As you can see, I have zero experience here..lol.

al
03-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
...So let me ask you street photographers... how do you do it? How do you approach potential subjects? Im not shy so to speak just overly mindful of privacy and personal space...
There are different types of "street" photography. Some people do posed street portraits which obviously requires engaging with your subject. Others (me included) take more candid shots as people go about their business.

Then there's one famous jerk (I won't name him, to avoid giving him more publicity) who surprises people, sticks a camera in their face, and fires a flash. He goes out of his way to get unflattering photos.
03-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I won't name him, to avoid giving him more publicity
Would that be one Magnum Photographer from New York, to whom you refer?