Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excuse me for being stupid perhaps... I have to re-read the title of your thread several times... and find it odd that almost everyone interprets your question as "shooting mode" (ie. Av, TAv, manual mode etc) not "shooting style" and responded accordingly. The biggest motivation in my photography is to produce a frozen slice of time as in the "moment" in it's truest form possible. That would be my shooting style if you ask me.

03-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I like to use TAV if I am shooting wildlife or landscape on the move. I resort to Manual if I have time to compose the settings for landscape or wildlife. Other modes I may reserve for other shooting that has unique needs.
04-01-2017, 12:52 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Excuse me...[I] find it odd that almost everyone interprets your question as "shooting mode" (ie. Av, TAv, manual mode etc) not "shooting style" and responded accordingly. The biggest motivation in my photography is to produce a frozen slice of time as in the "moment" in it's truest form possible. That would be my shooting style if you ask me.
I am sure one probably exists already, but maybe a follow-up thread titled "What is your shooting philosophy?" is in order?
04-01-2017, 01:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Daytime and or indoor shooting; AV if I have enough light + i am not in hurry. and either TAV or P if the light is really low and I do handheld.
Night time weekly shooting in Tokyo; it will be M + tripod. I like to do city light at night and long exposure type of photography. I usually force my self to go out with 2 primes max so that I don't have to waste time on lens changing but put more though into perspective and flaming with what I currently have in-hand. It seem to work well for me. my usual pairing are 15 & 50 or 21 (used to be 28 or 35) & 100 mm
if I am on a trip away from home, 21mm and a gorillapod will go with me from start to finish.

04-01-2017, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photocles Quote
I am sure one probably exists already, but maybe a follow-up thread titled "What is your shooting philosophy?" is in order?
I think my answer would be about the same :-)
04-01-2017, 06:10 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me its very situational as others have stated. For landscapes, hyperprogram (P) with most adjustments in Av. For sports (horse-jumping) I use either Tv mode or hyperprogram (P) and adjust for high shutter speads. For portraits, its almost always TAv mode. For astrophotography, its M manual mode. In a museum shoot recently I used Sv mode to optimize ISO to keep noise to a minimum in each gallery. When I give my K-1 to my wife on vacation, its Green mode (She is excellent at composition but want purely point and shoot for the rest). So I guess I use most of the modes with P (hyperprogram) being my default setting.
04-01-2017, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My shooting style is different but my mode/s are the same. My cameras (all five Pentax DSLRs) have never seen a mode other than M.

My philosophy is, why buy a DSLR then use it like a point and hope.

04-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
What is your shooting style?

I use TAv 95% of the time comes from the film era. Love control over Shutter & Aperture in different photo quests that attempt to tell a story in each.
Auto ISO is in the same league as the invention of the wheel IMO. In the film days I had to keep 5 X K1000's in the trunk of my car to get a small variety of Medium.
Hardware is a part of the quest for the story telling or memory preservation via photographs and only Part. I moved from a K200D (stolen) to a K3 . I have no desire to go any further as I am more than pleased with the Pics so far and I have so much more to learn about the capabilities of the K3 platform with the lenses I have acquired. I want to take Pictures of memories and tell stories I don't want to become a Mechanical Technocrat.
You moved from a K5 >>K3 to possible K1 Why? All excellent Hardware. What is your passion?

I monitor ISO but will let It go up to 3200 rather than loose a photo.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 04-01-2017 at 06:53 AM.
04-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
You moved from a K5 >>K3 to possible K1 Why? All excellent Hardware. What is your passion?
K-5 to K-3 was made because the first one struggled with AF in low light. I wanted to see if the grass really was greener. Plus there is this thing called a 'bandwagon' I actually do miss the K5 sensor though. I liked it a bit better but I learned to love the K3 in a short time.

K3 to K1 hasn't happened yet, BUT from my research the larger sensor will allow for better low light, ISO, etc related stuff. Plus I have always wanted a full frame and then Pentax finally delivered so why not support them for listening to us?

Really though I want to try the different larger format but I do think there will be a slight advantage in low light situations. I could crank that ISO up to 3200 and still be able to roll. On my last trip (I did an around the world photo trip) I found myself bumping my head so to speak on the K3's ceiling in this regard. Fast lens plus better ISO performance is great for me.
04-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

P=75% ; M=23% ; TAv=1% ; B=1%
04-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Really though I want to try the different larger format but I do think there will be a slight advantage in low light situations. I could crank that ISO up to 3200 and still be able to roll. On my last trip (I did an around the world photo trip) I found myself bumping my head so to speak on the K3's ceiling in this regard. Fast lens plus better ISO performance is great for me.

I don't travel much so I never gave increased ISO latitude a thought for that purpose. You wouldn't be carrying around a heavy tripod as I do to do the low light stuff and using shutter time to deal with the light instead of with >>ISO. I'll tuck that info away for future use.
04-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
My philosophy is, why buy a DSLR then use it like a point and hope.
Bigger sensor, accessories, lens selection, other features.
04-01-2017, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I may have the best "style" here...but not necessarily by choice. I have two feet I severely broke and am most fortunate to even walk. My knees are going south too...and I'm old and worn out. Topping it off, I'm lazy as hell. (No pity party here...I have a great life, no complaints! Been with Mrs Rupert almost 51 years, have everything in life I want and feel more blessed than I deserve!)

So my "style" is to sit at my desk in my very comfortable little office and shoot what I can out my windows. I can shoot any time of year in any kind of weather, remaining in climate controlled comfort with my coffee cup on my desk and even a little treat if I get hungry. My bathroom is six feet away...makes it easy to get fast relief when I drink too much coffee or iced tea.

This is where I "work", play, or just fool around and waste time.

I'm not a serious shooter like some here I admire, but do daydream of safari shoots in the jungles or along the beaches of beautiful waters. Mountains and scenic landscapes are also appealing, but none of it is going to happen! So....I stay pretty content with the style I have and do the best I can. These are all from the K1 since I got it a year ago.....some decent some so-so...almost 95+% shot through my window panes. I'm about a half decent shooter...meaning I get lucky about half of the time. The K1 does greatly increase the rate of good luck!
Pentax K1 | Flickr

As for settings, I prefer M mode. The more you use it the better you get at it and the more pleased with the results. The Green Button on the K1 is very reliable to help get the proper exposure.....maybe a little too bright but you can back down a stop quickly.

Of utmost importance is having some fun with your shooting and with your results. I try to do that and find it satisfying. If I could get out and about easily as I once could. I would change styles, but that ain't gonna happen, so you get content with what you can do and enjoy!

Oh yeah, I am also long winded and have a big mouth...but most of you guys already know that! Most old guys are like that...a lifetime of stories looking for a listener!

Regards!
04-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Oh yeah, I am also long winded and have a big mouth...but most of you guys already know that! Most old guys are like that...a lifetime of stories looking for a listener!

Well Mr Rupert You & I and unknown others may very well be the The Best Adapters Pentax has ever Produced not to mention a couple of Shooting Modes not yet on the Dial.

I am 72 as well; Semi-Retired Tax Accountant working out of my home now for the last 2 years. Had to close my Office Downtown.
The wheels started falling off big time when I turned 65
20 years ago diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (96 interruptions per hour) On a CCPAP for that time.
2011 March Open Heart Triple Bypass Damaged Heart 48% pumping Capacity left
2011 March Diabetes II Insulin injections Daily
2013 Oct Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Triple "A" repair successful caught in time.
2015 Sept Atrial Fibrillation ( A Fib ) left a heart valve leaking Down to 20% pumping capacity left (No more wiggle room left)
I cant walk very far at all but I can walk to my Truck beside the house and then the world is Mine. I shoot through the side window and even the front window as well and I will set up a tripod some times or a mono pod through the windows or just outside the door.
I have a window tripod adapter coming that I hope will work.
My wife and friend of 54 years comes with me every where and helps; also we were self employed for thirty years together.
We have an old RV trailer that is parked permanently in a RV park on the beautiful shores of Black Bay on Lake Superior.I make it there with my Truck and park right beside it. I set up a tripod on the Deck and shoot flora & fauna from there. I also have an old Quad that I use once in a while when my son can accompany me. Ever thing takes a lot longer than it use to but by God it happens and I take pictures. Family candids are mostly in house or close to home or trailer so they are not a problem.

So bringing these ramblings to an end I and Mr Rupert have adapted and have one more mode on our Cameras that others don't and we get to enjoy one of Life's most rewarding Hobbies "Even if it is up hill both ways".

By the way I use the term" I'll tuck that info away for future use." very loosely and hope that I can just a little longer.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 04-04-2017 at 07:49 AM.
04-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #30
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
So bringing these ramblings to an end I and Mr Rupert have adapted and have one more mode on our Cameras that others don't and we get to enjoy one of Life's most rewarding Hobbies "Even if it is up hill both ways".
You are living proof that getting old is not for the weak. While I am nowhere close to your condition, I struggle daily to do what was so easy just a few years ago. My Pentax is a source of willpower to keep on going, when sometimes I want to just sit back and do nothing at all.

You hang in there, we are not alone, and these young whippersnappers will someday join the same ranks of the old and disabled.....given enough time, no one escapes!

Meanwhile, the best advice I can give our youthful members is........

Those things you want to do ...do them now! I have lived a full and exciting life, ate that dessert first, and have no regrets!

Regards!