Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2017, 02:49 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You hang in there, we are not alone, and these young whippersnappers will someday join the same ranks of the old and disabled.....given enough time, no one escapes!
The body may be 66 (next week - subtle hint !) and have started to complain about the six decades of abuse it has suffered (but a monopod makes a serviceable walking stick !) - the mind is still about twelve (see some of my jokes !), and my life is full of wonder about the many discoveries I should have made when I was young enough to follow them through. If I die tomorrow - then I've enjoyed today. Sun's out - macro lens calls, excuse me.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 04-03-2017 at 02:50 AM. Reason: neaten presentation
04-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm out casually shooting etc. I'll use TAv. Set the aperture for the sweet spot on the lens and adjust from there.
If I'm shooting on a tripod for a static shot, Av is the way to go.

If I've got the ring flash and 100mm macro mounted, I'm using P mode. f16, 1/160sec, ISO 100, shake reduction off, usually. Flash in manual pop. That's so much better than TAv without the flash or Av with a flash it's not even worth comparing. Is there a difference between that and M mode? Probably not.
04-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful stories and tenacity here. I appreciate it hearing about it. Being legally blind since 8 years old, I too have to make some accomodations. I'll be 32 soon. I too use the camera as a motivator and bridge to the world. The more I pursue child like thinking and a sense of awe the more I feel healthy and whole. It can be quite easy to feel discouraged when someone more skilled than I tries to give me advice and I can't see what he's talking about. I've also had to focus on what I can get to physically. Not being able to drive makes the world a much smaller place. I have an insatiable appetite to learn and improve but when things like that get in the way I have to rethink things. Sometimes its better to focus on what I can do. It can be qutie humbling to rely on others for so many things. Thank God for others.
04-04-2017, 06:44 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Another Pentax adapter and for sure another Mode on the Wheel.

"Thank God for others" SOMETIMES IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO TAKE A PICTURE

Last edited by honey bo bo; 04-04-2017 at 07:14 AM.
05-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like UncleVanya and a few others, I primarily shoot in Av Mode, then manual. I almost never shoot TV.

Coming from a Canon 70D to the K-1 has been a paradigm shift. I've never shot in TAv since canon didn't have that. I might give that a try. But since i tend to change ISO manually based on the conditions, I'm not sure I see a use for it over manual. Am I missing something?

I tend to use full matrix metering modes most of the time but if the situation demads it, I'll use center weighted or spot metering.

I always shoot RAW (even on my cell phone) and never post anything no processing in some way shape or form.

My subjects tend be landscape (both daytime and nighttime shots) as well as architectural. I also do a lot of astroimaging, but I have cooled CCD astro cameras for that kind of shooting, though I want to hook up my K-1 to the telescope and see what I get.
05-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I use TAv 95% of the time. 5% Manual & Bulb. Hold over from the Film days. Set ISO to 800 max daylight and 3200 max low light and flash(Thank goodness for digital ISO don't have to keep 5 X K1000's in the trunk of my car anymore). Shoot jpeg 100% and as little PP as possible. Spent too many hours in the lab before the turn of the century going to bed at 3 a.m. Don't like it now; it's even worse than eating turnips.

For those with a shooting mode that's not on the wheel as discussed earlier; The pictures I've taken of Flora & Fauna outdoors since fall of 2014 are through the side windows and occasionally front windshield of my 1/2 Ton Truck with my Friend of 54 years sitting shot gun. Sometimes it takes a Village to take an interesting photo but take it no matter the mode.
05-15-2017, 05:45 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
Coming from a Canon 70D to the K-1 has been a paradigm shift. I've never shot in TAv since canon didn't have that. I might give that a try. But since i tend to change ISO manually based on the conditions, I'm not sure I see a use for it over manual. Am I missing something?
In TAv mode the camera lets the ISO float based on the program line. Generally in TAv I work like this: set aperture for best use of lens then adjust shutter speed to keep ISO in a comfortable range. With two wheels, both controls are at your fingertips so you don't need to take your eye from the viewfinder.

05-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
In TAv mode the camera lets the ISO float based on the program line. Generally in TAv I work like this: set aperture for best use of lens then adjust shutter speed to keep ISO in a comfortable range. With two wheels, both controls are at your fingertips so you don't need to take your eye from the viewfinder.
But wouldn't using manual with Auto ISO be the same? Also I'm not sure what you mean by program line.
05-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #39
Pentaxian

There is no auto ISO in manual mode. If it used auto ISO, it wouldn't be *manual*.
05-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But wouldn't using manual with Auto ISO be the same? Also I'm not sure what you mean by program line.
Just that the camera uses its internal programming to decide on ISO for exposure. That can change based on your metering parameters. Mostly I will use center-weighted metering as I tend to center on the subject. You can set limits for the ISO range, so it doesn't go too high.
05-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
There is no auto ISO in manual mode. If it used auto ISO, it wouldn't be *manual*.
Sorry, I'm still learning the camera I had no idea that Auto ISO wasn't active in Manual mode. On my Canon 70D Auto ISO was active in manual mode.
05-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, they all have little quirks which separate them from one another. M in Pentax is fully Manual. P mode, Hyperprogram, is somewhere in-between, with the camera trying to compensate for your parameter changes.
05-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Sorry, I'm still learning the camera I had no idea that Auto ISO wasn't active in Manual mode. On my Canon 70D Auto ISO was active in manual mode.
Yeah, I guess Canon has auto ISO in manual mode, but TAv mode is the equivalent for Pentax.

Regarding what "program line" means, it is the algorithm that the camera uses for auto-exposure, primarily referring to program mode, but also applicable to other modes where the camera calculates the exposure automatically. You can change the program line to different preferences, like favoring DOF, faster shutter speeds, or maximizing MTF for example. You can also change how it uses auto ISO, whether it will go to a higher ISO faster or slower, depending on your preference.

Last edited by leekil; 05-15-2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
05-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Yeah, I guess Canon has auto ISO in manual mode, but TAv mode is the equivalent for Pentax.

Regarding what "program line" means, it is the algorithm that the camera uses for auto-exposure, primarily referring to program mode, but also applicable to other modes where the camera calculates the exposure automatically. You can change the program line to different preferences, like favoring DOF, faster shutter speeds, or maximizing MTF for example. You can also change how it uses auto ISO, whether it will go to a higher ISO faster or slower, depending on your preference.
Looks like I've got a lot to learn about the K-1.