Photos: Albums
So how'd it go?

04-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Okay, so this is what I do - dance, especially ballet.
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I would suggest:
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
My only additional suggestion is that when the dancing first starts,
QuoteOriginally posted by ldj4549 Quote
My take, IMHO, go at it like a rock concert.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
As you want to control
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I would echo Brooke's advice.
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
This is a dress rehearsal
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
...and to burn the midnight oil to get the post-processing done in a timely fashion.
Hi everyone - Well here is what happened - and I need to thank all of you for your advice, suggestions, recommendations and comments. It all came in handy - and that is the absolute truth.

I went over at 2pm and got home at 10pm. Shot the dress rehearsal / practice and then the actual presentation which started at 7 and went to 8.15. It was the ballet company's 10th anniversary - so they did a presentation. The girls were all in high school. There were about 200 in the audience. It was a mixture of modern dance, ballet, and a Flamingo dancer.

As suggested, I shot with 2 cameras, K5IIs with the 60-250 @ f4, along with the K5 with the 18-35/f1.8 at f2 at 35mm - full stage width wide angle, up on a tripod. I cleaned each sensor with a rocket blower, and then remapped each camera for hot pixels. I took ~4200 images all total.
  • Since the wide angle was on a tripod shoot the full stage, I just took continuous shots that essentially sequenced the dance number. 2400 in wide angle (35mm full stage width) sequences that I putting into something like a time lapse set of videos (I got this idea from a aircraft landing sequence I did over at the airport). The time lapsed sequences (played at 1/6 sec) are somewhat hit and miss. The first one was excellent - as I was up close. The ones from the balcony are ok, but I do like the ones up close better.
  • I used the 60-250 for individual shots, both hand held and some on a second tripod with a very loose ballhead (nice suggestion).
I practiced during the rehearsal from the ground floor (about 50 feet to stage center) which was good. I was much closer and in a number of ways was able to get better shots. For the presentation I moved upstairs to the 2nd level balcony (about 80 feet to the stage center). The distance increased and the light dropped off. Close up I was able to use ISO 1600-3200. For the actual performance I had to push the ISO up to 8000 (on the 60-250) and 5000 for the wide angle (35mm). The lighting was really bad during the rehearsal (making adjustments), but did get better during the presentation - but I was farther away so the inverse square law took effect - double the distance get 1/4 the light.

I was getting some motion blur at 1/320 so moved to 1/400 and had no further problems.

Trying to follow the action as the dancers moved across the stage, split up (what group should I follow), all the problems you can imagine - just as you all had pointed out. My framing was nothing to write home about (terrible) - chopped off hands, feet, dancers half in and half out of the frame, etc., etc., etc.

I have been post processing since getting home on Saturday night.
  • So far out of the 1700 individual shots I have about 170 that are somewhat reasonable (so far - still working). I had to fix the white balance on the shots from one of the cameras (it finally dawned on me part of the way through that I had the white balance not setup right - by looking at the output from the other camera that was setup correctly). The lighting was bad, which coupled with the high ISO and noise is stretching my post processing capabilities. I have come to understand cropping out half (or more) of a frame (I hardly ever do this).
  • Of the 2400 images for time lapsed sequences, I have 6 done so far, one I really really like (it turned out very well), with the others being from pretty good to OK.
Emailed a few of the processed shots (about 10) off to Mary. So far she thinks that everything is great. [A starving person will think the smells from a food processing plant are great too.] I was hoping to be pretty done by today - but my eyes are going cross - it will take another day. A nice fast system with tons of storage is making this go reasonably fast.

Of the samples I have sent off, Mary tells me that she forwarded them on to the girls and they too think that they are great - [sorry, but after wading through a lot of my crappola shots - I question their tastes in images. So far, I have found about 3 that I like.]

The main use of the images are for the girls and the ballet company's advertising and their web/facebook pages, etc. I'm peddling this tricycle as fast as I can.

I found that I have learned a lot and have improved my shooting with this experience. My post processing skills have improved tremendously - practice makes perfect.

I'll probably post a couple of shots and the first time lapse in a day or two after I get finished with all of this, after talking with Mary...

04-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #18
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having to sort through and tossing most of the shots is I think normal/to be expected. If you get ten shots that are good, then you did great. Once having done this maybe you will be involved with them more?
04-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the darkness (pun intended) of ballet photography. With experience you get to anticipate the jumps and splits to time your trigger happy fingers. I think we can make a club of ballet photographers.

Thanks,

04-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Glad it went well!

I somehow missed that you were shooting the actual performance, and not just the dress rehearsal. When I am able to be there for a dress rehearsal as well, I take notes about the performances so I will know what to photograph during the show. Like, the performer(s) enters right for the second number, or where to photograph from if I am able to move around, or what white balance and exposure settings to use, if the lights are changing from one act to another.
04-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I just took continuous shots that essentially sequenced the dance number.
That was a smart idea.
04-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
When I am able to be there for a dress rehearsal as well, I take notes about the performances so I will know what to photograph during the show.
Not just WHAT, but HOW (e.g. some forms of dance can be very slow-moving or contain natural pauses, and these allow you to bottom-out your shutter speed with resultant dramatic falls in auto-ISO if you're shooting in TAv mode; others are lively and explosive and you need to let it rise, with perhaps a touch of blur allowed to show the dynamism).