Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Agree with all the above, and yes, if the aperture isnʻt wide open, both the number of blades and if they are rounded or not will affect bokeh.

In general, odd number of blades are preferred and rounded blades create softer, less harsh bokeh.

One other key element is going to be specular light sources in the background such as from leaves or surface water sparkles, etc.

Thanks for the replies from all of you, so the spectacular (or weird) bokeh from the Helios 44-2(etc) wide open is just the result of the aperture blades?

05-11-2017, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Thanks for the replies from all of you, so the spectacular (or weird) bokeh from the Helios 44-2(etc) wide open is just the result of the aperture blades?
Nope, Optical configuration. Shape, number, disposition of the optical elements
05-11-2017, 11:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuno Almeida Quote
Nope, Optical configuration. Shape, number, disposition of the optical elements

That is what I was wondering. Thank you.
05-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
As stated above, "weird" bokeh as in the case of the Helios 44-2, is a result of older element/group lens design (or lack of) before our current day lens pixel peeping analysis of center to corners resolution, vignetting, chromatic aberration, distortion, etc. This 'retro' look is being revived by Lomography's Petzval series like:
Lomography Petzval 58mm f/1.9 Bokeh Control Art Lens Z260N B&H
and Lensbaby Twist series like:
Lensbaby Twist 60 Optic with Straight Body for Nikon F LBT60N

Neither Lomo or Lensbaby make a Pentax mount for those bokeh specialized lenses, but Pentaxians have the option of many Soviet-era lenses like the Helios which can be tack sharp at dead center, but wide open reveals flaws off-center to the scientist and magic to the artist.

Note: I wrote and meant "specular" not "spectacular". Specular as in a mirror-like circular light reflections off shiny surfaces.

05-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
As stated above, "weird" bokeh as in the case of the Helios 44-2, is a result of older element/group lens design (or lack of) before our current day lens pixel peeping analysis of center to corners resolution, vignetting, chromatic aberration, distortion, etc. This 'retro' look is being revived by Lomography's Petzval series like:
Lomography Petzval 58mm f/1.9 Bokeh Control Art Lens Z260N B&H
and Lensbaby Twist series like:
Lensbaby Twist 60 Optic with Straight Body for Nikon F LBT60N

Neither Lomo or Lensbaby make a Pentax mount for those bokeh specialized lenses, but Pentaxians have the option of many Soviet-era lenses like the Helios which can be tack sharp at dead center, but wide open reveals flaws off-center to the scientist and magic to the artist.

Note: I wrote and meant "specular" not "spectacular". Specular as in a mirror-like circular light reflections off shiny surfaces.

Thank you Alex645, I understood your "specular" reference, my use of "spectacular" was regarding the out of focus areas in an image from a Helios-44 being eye-catching.
So the specular can be spectacular! Or weird or ugly depending on the viewer's opinion.
My apologies.
05-13-2017, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just tried following your suggestions with my K5IIs and 100mm macro 2.8 WR, I hope that the result is pretty good.
Thanks, Toni.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
05-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice. I'd say it turned out well.

05-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks.
05-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You did good!
05-16-2017, 12:25 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks photolady95.
05-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Toni60 Quote
I just tried following your suggestions with my K5IIs and 100mm macro 2.8 WR, I hope that the result is pretty good.
Thanks, Toni.
Turned out pretty good.
I would also try this out with a white backdrop (a foam board or card paper that you get in dollar stores) thrown on the floor covering the fov to see what I get. This technique pretty much allows you to make pictures (especially with flowers) without worrying about the bokeh.

---------- Post added 05-17-17 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
For macro's you need to be close to your subject and use a smaller fstop, not wide open at least an f8 or more. I use inbetween f8 and f16. Like this: M lens didn't record f stop but it was f16.
For viewing the larger version, click on the photo.

For other than macro shots, what Nuno said is good.
Wow Creamylicious.. Is that even a word?

Last edited by shardulm; 05-17-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added info.
05-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Not sure about the word but thanks for the compliment. There are others in flickr if you care to browse there. Click in my signature.
05-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Not sure about the word but thanks for the compliment. There are others in flickr if you care to browse there. Click in my signature.
I already did.
05-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Turned out pretty good.
I would also try this out with a white backdrop (a foam board or card paper that you get in dollar stores) thrown on the floor covering the fov to see what I get. This technique pretty much allows you to make pictures (especially with flowers) without worrying about the bokeh.

---------- Post added 05-17-17 at 01:47 PM ----------

Thanks shardulm.
Toni