Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As usual this video completely misses the complexities in contrasting Amateurs Vs Professionals in the realm of photography. Could an amateur do the kind of work I do? probably not. However considering how many of my clients that have stuck with me - even though they have had plenty of opportunities to work with other photographers - certainly makes for a convincing argument that there are few that can bring to the table what I do.

I'm kind of getting tired of defending professionalism in an industry where it is all to easy too buy pro gear, and still have no idea.
I think a lot of people are missing the point of the video and heading down rabbit trails. It wasn't about defending professionals or whatnot, it to me was aimed at the amateur who wants to spend all that cash on cool stuff only to figure out 'holy crap-there is skill involved in this too'.

It seemed pretty clear that they were encouraging the amateur(s) to focus on their skills instead of worrying about what kind of camera they have.

06-17-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I think a lot of people are missing the point of the video and heading down rabbit trails. It wasn't about defending professionals or whatnot, it to me was aimed at the amateur who wants to spend all that cash on cool stuff only to figure out 'holy crap-there is skill involved in this too'.

It seemed pretty clear that they were encouraging the amateur(s) to focus on their skills instead of worrying about what kind of camera they have.
Refreshing in this day of endless "why you should buy this camera" videos. marketing videos produced by amateurs, for free. What's with that. I can understand people wanting to capture their own images, I can't understand people making videos selling product. Our society has become so commercialized, people make commercials in their spare time as a hobby.

How weird is that?
06-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Our society has become so commercialized, people make commercials in their spare time as a hobby.

How weird is that?
Very weird, if you ask me. Without going into too much detail, the place where I work has been struggling with this question of "gear vs experience" for the last few months. My bosses think that anybody can do the work of a professional photographer. They think that our reporters can shoot good enough pics with their cellphones to be used in glossy magazines and in brochures. They've tried it a few times and have been disappointed with the results. Duh! So now they're buying more gear.
06-30-2017, 08:40 PM - 2 Likes   #34

A fellow I worked with had been a professional golfer. He made a bet with a 18 handicap guy that he would use a putter, 5 iron, and a sand wedge and would beat the guy that could use his legal 14 club bag. They played for $1000, the other player got to play from the white tees, and got 5 strokes gratis. My friend played from the back tees. He won by 6 strokes. He hit his 5 iron 195-205 yards and had learned (goofing around) to tee off with his putter about 230 yards. He said the guy was so frustrated by the 5th hole that he couldn't hit his driver in the fairway.

Point------Equipment does not confer talent, knowledge, vision, or replace a huge amount of practice.

JB

07-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #35

I love that last comment !!
07-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the music world,Seasick Steve is a great example of what a wonderful sound can be made with what appears to be old junk.Dave Gilmour put it another way "It's in the fingers not the guitar!"