Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joshuamcateer Quote
4) Some of the pins match. I've tried to align the images and flick between them Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet and several of the pins are in different places.
You are showing the camera-facing flange for both the lens and TC. If there is a misalignment it would be between the camera and TC or between the TC and the lens. (The faces not shown.) In addition, the magnification is different, making image alignment difficult. As noted above, the most likely cause is a fault in the pass-through wiring of the TC, specifically the "A" contact and/or the mount flange.* The next most likely is an alignment issue at the

A little clarification in regards to detection of an "A" contact lens, the "A" contact, the "data" contact, and the other contacts. The flow goes like this:

Code:
"A" contact detected? -- NO --> display F---
|
YES -- A-series or newer lens, continue
|
"data" contact detected -- NO --> non-AF, use contact pattern for aperture
|
YES -- continue
|
Aperture information available through data contact? -- NO --> use contact pattern
|
YES --> use aperture info from data contact
The intent is to provide broad support for legacy bodies. Your macro lens will work nicely on my 1983 vintage Super Program in P and Tv modes despite the body having no data pin. If you had the FA version 100 macro, support would extend to ALL K-mount cameras in at least Av and M modes and would be fully functional on my Super Program (Av, Tv, and M modes).

In case it is not clear, successful pass-through of the "A" contact state is essential for successful use of your TC with any lens lacking an aperture ring.

Steve

* The "A" contact is detected by continuity between the center of the contact and the mount face. On older lenses, there is a pin that protrudes to close the circuit when the aperture ring is on the "A" setting. Other lenses have a spring-loaded ball with reed switch in the aperture ring mechanism to close the circuit. Either way, the acceptable dimensions for the contact (diameter, position, depth) are well-established with almost 35 years of history. The result is that physical incompatibility (misalignment) is rare and almost non-existent with unmodified devices from reputable makers.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-19-2017 at 12:06 PM.
06-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #17

@stevebrot has probably given the best description of auto aperture support on Pentax DSLRs ever.

He is right. If you are not getting the "F--" with only the lens mounted on the body then the break in continuity in the "A" is between the lens and TC, between the TC and the camera body, in the TC or a combination of all three.

You say you test the continuity of the pins on both the lens and the TC and they appear to be good.

Care must be taken that your probe is touching only the pin. A blunt probe may actually be touching the ring mount. Clip on lead of the continuity checker to the silver ring of the mount (or one of the bayonet tabs if all one piece). If the probe is blunt or rather wide use an unbent paper clip or some other thin conductive piece of metal as the other probe on the pin. Make sure to touch only the pin and not the surrounding mount.

Check the continuity on the TC only (unmounted from lens and camera) from the female (lens) side to the male (camera) side.

Check the continuity of the pins in the male side of the TC with only the lens mounted. Note that the pins on the lens that have a plastic cap in there place should not show continuity through the TC.

Check the continuity on the female side of the TC with the TC mount on the camera without a lens. All pins should show continuity.

Lack of continuity where there should be in any of these tests should pin point the problem area.

If the continuity between the male and female sides of the TC only check out we can rule out the leads from pin to pin being the problem.

At this point if there is an unexpected break in continuity from the lens to the male side of the TC then either there is an alignment problem with the pins or the pins need cleaning (cleaned previously).

If there is continuity on all expected pins at this point and it fails when mount on the body then the problem is with the pins between the body and TC.

The "A" pin on the male side of the TC usually protrudes out slightly more than the rest of the pins. You could also try gently twisting the TC when it is mounted to see if you can get the pins to line up. You could also check for the "F--" display before the lens is locked or hold down the lens release button and seeing if you can go slightly beyond the lock position (some lenses/TC will do this).
06-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are showing the camera-facing flange for both the lens and TC. If there is a misalignment it would be between the camera and TC or between the TC and the lens. (The faces not shown.) In addition, the magnification is different, making image alignment difficult. As noted above, the most likely cause is a fault in the pass-through wiring of the TC, specifically the "A" contact and/or the mount flange.* The next most likely is an alignment issue at the

A little clarification in regards to detection of an "A" contact lens, the "A" contact, the "data" contact, and the other contacts. The flow goes like this:

Code:
"A" contact detected? -- NO --> display F---
|
YES -- A-series or newer lens, continue
|
"data" contact detected -- NO --> non-AF, use contact pattern for aperture
|
YES -- continue
|
Aperture information available through data contact? -- NO --> use contact pattern
|
YES --> use aperture info from data contact
The intent is to provide broad support for legacy bodies. Your macro lens will work nicely on my 1983 vintage Super Program in P and Tv modes despite the body having no data pin. If you had the FA version 100 macro, support would extend to ALL K-mount cameras in at least Av and M modes and would be fully functional on my Super Program (Av, Tv, and M modes).

In case it is not clear, successful pass-through of the "A" contact state is essential for successful use of your TC with any lens lacking an aperture ring.

Steve

* The "A" contact is detected by continuity between the center of the contact and the mount face. On older lenses, there is a pin that protrudes to close the circuit when the aperture ring is on the "A" setting. Other lenses have a spring-loaded ball with reed switch in the aperture ring mechanism to close the circuit. Either way, the acceptable dimensions for the contact (diameter, position, depth) are well-established with almost 35 years of history. The result is that physical incompatibility (misalignment) is rare and almost non-existent with unmodified devices from reputable makers.
Thanks, Steve. Yes, I think it is a fault in the pass through wiring. A fairly subtle one. Whilst the pins on the lens side of the TC are connected to the pins on the bottom of the TC, it seems that the A pin is slightly too short. None of them is sprung, all of them being solid bars which are fixed fast in place. I made a small attempt at extending the A pin by wrapping it in aluminium foil and then reassembling it. But, alas, it did not fix it.

The whole teleconverter seems to be pretty poorly made. When I took apart I noticed that many of the screw holes were tapped in another location, about 20 degrees from where the screws were. I somewhat doubt that "Ranger" is a reputable maker. Perhaps I'll find a way to extend the bar or lengthen it, but I doubt I'll be able to. Oh well.

---------- Post added 06-19-17 at 02:42 PM ----------

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet This image shows the top half of the contact bars. They extend the whole way through the TC. There are no springs or anything, the only things holding them in place are nylon spacers at either end.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
@stevebrot has probably given the best description of auto aperture support on Pentax DSLRs ever.

You say you test the continuity of the pins on both the lens and the TC and they appear to be good.

Care must be taken that your probe is touching only the pin. A blunt probe may actually be touching the ring mount. Clip on lead of the continuity checker to the silver ring of the mount (or one of the bayonet tabs if all one piece). If the probe is blunt or rather wide use an unbent paper clip or some other thin conductive piece of metal as the other probe on the pin. Make sure to touch only the pin and not the surrounding mount.
I'm still not sure what you mean by checking the continuity of then lens. Surely, you need to put one lead of the multimeter on one contact on the male side, and one on the corresponding contact on the female side. But in the lens you can only access one side? I'm sure the lens is working perfectly, it works on my camera, so it's not a big deal, but am I just being daft?
06-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joshuamcateer Quote
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet This image shows the top half of the contact bars. They extend the whole way through the TC. There are no springs or anything, the only things holding them in place are nylon spacers at either end.
I agree that it unlikely that the contacts would work as intended. I is also unlikely that the aperture actuator coupling would properly engage the lever on the lens.

Steve