Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any camera setting that can help the flare ?

I have the K1 and lately I shoot with some old Tamron wide angle lens. The lens had flare problem and
I understand adding a hood (not easy to find a proper one for wide angle) or step down will help.

I like to know is there any setting in the camera can further help the issue if I need to shoot in strong light with the lens, thanks.

07-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could try shading the lens from the light source with your hand. A suitable hood will be best, leave off any filters and shoot from shade if you can.
If your light source is in the image you will get some flare whatever you do.

Last edited by Skodadriver; 07-26-2017 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
07-26-2017, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flare is a physical effect of light source and lens design. All lenses will suffer from flare to varying degrees, depending on the strength and position of the light source. There's no setting on any camera that can prevent it from happening - but using the correct hood for the lens will help. Also, you can position your hand between the light source and the edge of the lens. Veiling flare tends to reduce contrast significantly, so increasing contrast and clarity when processing an image can improve things, either by applying it it to the entire image or using the graduated filter tool. Finally, sometimes you just have to pick a different shooting position

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-26-2017 at 02:06 AM.
07-26-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also, try adjusting your composition to minimize the flare, since in some parts of the frame (often corners or edges) it's worse than others.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
I understand adding a hood (not easy to find a proper one for wide angle) or step down will help.
Get a tighter lens hood? I remember there used to be this soft thing you could add above the lens, looked like a horn, which would shield the lens. But I think it took too long to set up and Im not sure what its called.
Some people use a step down ring instead of a lens hood. But you have to be careful not to get a step down ring that is too small, or it will act as an aperture or cause vignetting. It might be better than a third party hood, though
Yes, using aperture like f8 usually means less flare than wide open aperture. But going above f12 or so starts to cause diffraction, and sometimes you want faster aperture for shallow DoF.

Holding your hand or a hat above the lens is a simple solution, though it might look a bit silly. An be careful not to dip your hand into frame!
07-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks there is nothing can do on the camera setting but try the best (hood or whatever) to block the light,
anyway, thanks all.
07-26-2017, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1. A lens hood, a card, or your hand is the first line of defense.

2. A very clean lens and filters (or no filters) can help. (If the lens has internal dust, haze, or fogging, then that's going to make #1 even more important).

3. Narrower apertures can help minimize the size of flare bubbles and may reduce overall flare somewhat.
07-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The final thing you can do is shoot raw and learn Photoshop to remove some flare digitally

07-27-2017, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One of those flexible lens hoods may work for you

Flex Lens Shade Flex Lens Shade A001 B&H Photo Video