Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax low end pricing.

Here's hoping this doesn't turn into a flamewar.

I was helping a friend pick out an slr today, and looking around online, was pretty shocked at how much more the K200D is compared to the A200 and E510
(E510 with 2 lenses at that). I had to recommend he go with the sony or olympus options (I never really consider canon or nikon options) just due to the fact that they have similar features, a longer reach kit lens, or two kit lenses, for $100 less. I'm really hoping pentax/samsung announce a price drop or a new low end model at photokina, as I really love my GX-10, and pentax makes great stuff, but for someone on a budget, buying a new pentax over a new oly/sony doesn't seem to make that much sense at first glance, at least on the low end.

08-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
per
Inactive Account

I agree, the prices on the low end pentax cameras are too high, if they wan't to compete in that area they need to have prices that will attract the customers, having a K2000D thats cheaper than D40/60 and 450D wouldn't be a stupid idea, they could probably get a lot of new users that way. Probably more important for pentax to get a good following in that area of the market rather than the FF-fanatics area, Low-end DSLR sales generate more income than the high-end market, for each K20D nikon and canon has probably sold 6 or 7 40/60D and 450D's each. And then when the low-end user base is bigger and better they could go for the FF bullcrap, allthough I think thats just a waste of time.

Last edited by per; 09-08-2008 at 05:18 PM.
08-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Definitely not the case here in Australia. Pentax entry level cameras are usually the cheapies when you see them in the catalogues that come out.
08-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Pentax is not only cheaper (than most), but they offer a better value than other brands.

Has your friend looked through an Oly viewfinder? Yeah, that's enough to turn lots of people away. And don't forget the 2x crop factor...

08-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I think you have to look at the area in which the OP is posting from. Many times the pricing of products is in demographics. The higher the population the lower the prices would be, because there is more potential for higher sales in more populated areas.
I do however agree with Ryan s post on looking through the Oly view finder. the reason their sales pricing is lower is mainly because it's a 4 thirds camera. On the other hand The Sony is a very good buy in the OP's area.
I'm sure you will see later in this year and the beginning of next the pricing of Pentax lower end (I hate that word. because there is nothing low end about the K200D) It was made to be a very high end starter camera. The specs on this camera speak for themselves. Yes there may be a better buy with another starter camera with a 2 lens option but again look at the quality of the lenses. There is no glass out there better than Pentax.
I hope your friend has chosen well and will be very satisfied with their choice. again it all depends on the persons needs and finances and what they want to shoot.
08-20-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
I was helping a friend pick out an slr today, and looking around online, was pretty shocked at how much more the K200D is compared to the A200 and E510
Well, if your friend is looking at the entry level, the Pentax offer reads "K100D Super". Its 6 MPixel are still great for an entry level and already offers shake reduction . Photokina will replace the entry-level option by 10 MPixel but even today the K100D Super shoudn't be dismissed. With support for SDM, it is future-proof enough.

Its retail price in Germany (bodies only) is 360 (Pentax K100DS), compared to 330 (Sony A200) or 440 (K200D) or 400 (Olympus E510).
08-20-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe that's just the case in Guatamala.
08-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Maybe that's just the case in Guatamala.
I was looking at prices in the states, as the only DSLRs I've found here have been sony or canon, and are usually about twice the cost of what they are up there here white market, grey market stuff is still about 1.5x the cost. Anyhow, yes, olympus has a crap viewfinder, and anything wider than the kit lens starts to get very expensive. I'm not saying the k200d isn't a good buy for what you get, I'm just saying perhaps it isn't quite low end enough. A k100d would be perfect, but I haven't found anywhere that sells them new.

08-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

mmmm just holding a Pentax feels nice compared to a Sony, and especially Nikon :ugh:

Is it possible (feasible?) to get one shipped to you? Then there is the "lightly used" option from the folks here or other reputable photo shops...
08-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
mmmm just holding a Pentax feels nice compared to a Sony, and especially Nikon :ugh:

Is it possible (feasible?) to get one shipped to you? Then there is the "lightly used" option from the folks here or other reputable photo shops...
Thats part of the reason I bought pentax (well, samsung), it was one of the first DSLRs in my price range I held that didn't feel like a cheap kids toy. I got my GX-10 lightly used, probably one of the best value cameras in its price range then. I might recommend my friend just picks up a used k10d, but he was kinda looking for new. I can find someone coming down from the states to bring it down.
08-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Ryan,
The viewfinder was a big reason i went with the Pentax after looking at the Olympus. Also, i don't think the Olympus was waterresistant, which was a factor for me. I remember being impressed at how small the Olympus 410 was, but it was also lacking in a lot of features. ahh - pros and cons

Phil

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Pentax is not only cheaper (than most), but they offer a better value than other brands.

Has your friend looked through an Oly viewfinder? Yeah, that's enough to turn lots of people away. And don't forget the 2x crop factor...