Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sharp enough? Sure, at least they look sharp on my phone. I don't think you're having any technical or mechanical problems with your lenses or camera. It might be worth checking on a focus scale or whatever they're called for piece of mind but I think they're fine in terms of sharpness.

Can I put my art school hat on for a moment? Feel free to disregard, just my opinions.

Whatever you are using for a diffuser isn't working well in my opinion; you've got a lot of harsh light happening. Try less flash power and consider pushing it in post. Also consider moving that flash... either by bouncing it off a reflector or moving it off camera instead of shooting straight at the her.

The color of her top is distracting and makes her look paler than she is because it's so BRIGHT and warm. It probably looks fine in person, but it's overwhelming in a photograph.

Try to work on poses and facials that are less stiff. She looks like she's standing for a photograph and gritting through it.

08-12-2017, 03:38 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Yeah, I guess you are right. I've never gone the Vaseline on a filter route (home made clear cellophane filter worked for me when needed). On DSLR, I find myself still shooting a lot of vintage glass and prefer to minimize the amount of work I have to do in PP, so I prefer lenses that render a bit of softness and glow to portraits. There are still new Portrait specialty lenses introduced periodically by specialty lens makers (Lensbaby,etc.), that render a bit of softness, but you're right, one can achieve pretty much the same effects using Topaz Labs or one of many PP applications with a Portrait/Skin filter.

I guess my mind just reverted back to 'old school' mode.
Sure.

I only saw 'Breakfast At Tiffany's' for the first time the other week and the soft focus on a couple of Audrey Hepburn's closeups really dated Blake Edwards' otherwise witty directing.

The current editorial fascination for sharpness, especially the eyes, may change again. Until then, all the major makers (including Ricoh with the DFA lineup) are pursuing it. Expect the 50mm and 85mm star primes to be much larger and more expensive than the Limiteds.