Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Are my photos sharp enough?

Hello Pentaxians,

I was debating between Sony A7RII ( love the eye AF feature ) and Pentax K-1. Since I have collected many Pentax Lenses over the past 12 years, I decided to stay local.
Please take a look at these photos and let me know if they are sharp to you. I Feel like some are front focused on the nose even though I mostly used single AF point, with focus priority setting on. Lenses I used was Pentax FA 77mm, DA* 55, Tamron 90mm Macro with Metz 58 flash on the camera along with flash diffuser.

Regards,
Derek

Last edited by Pentax_WA; 08-10-2017 at 10:32 PM.
08-10-2017, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Except one photo that's not well focused, I'd say all photos are sharp. However, exposure is all over the place.
08-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Except one photo that's not well focused, I'd say all photos are sharp. However, exposure is all over the place.
Thanks for your note. How can I fix the exposure issue? I put my Metz on TTL, and used amazon.com : TopOne Universal Cloud lambency flash diffuser + White dome cover and fits all flashes : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& as diffuser. I also played with exposure compensation. still quite over exposed in some.
08-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you enabled HSS on the flash? I think this was lock your shutter speed at 1/200s, no faster. The EXIF data shows 1/200s also.

08-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Did you enabled HSS on the flash? I think this was lock your shutter speed at 1/200s, no faster. The EXIF data shows 1/200s also.
I think the flash was on A mode before I switched it to TTL.
08-10-2017, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
I think the flash was on A mode before I switched it to TTL.
It does not matters. If the flash isn't in P-TTL HSS mode, the camera cant go beyond te flash sync speed (1/200s on the K-1). With fixed aperture in Av mode, on ISO100 it makes a minimal ambient exposeur. If it's already overexposed, the flash will make it only worse. HSS enables flashing beyond the sync speed by making micropulses syncronized to the shutter. (At sync sped it's fully opened. Here is an explanation video:
)

Last edited by 08amczb; 08-11-2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typo
08-11-2017, 12:46 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know we're entering the realms of aesthetics, Pentax_WA, but try EC of -1 on the ambient and FEC of -1 on the flash. Try to get more of the green foliage in the background and less of the sky.

08-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
getting back to the original question ...sharpness and focus accuracy (FF/BF) are two entirely seperate issues.

Focus accuracy: First thing one should do with a new camera is to check if it need AF Fine Adjustment AF/FA. Get the camera on a tripod with a focus test chart. Use natural light if you can. Do about 10 tests each time making the camera Autofocus on the chart by autofocussing the lens from infinity and from minimum focus distance. Use widest aperture and spot AF point. Review the results of the 10 tests on screen at 100% view. If you need to do AF/FA, make your changes and do another 10 tests. Dont expect them all to be perfect ! The plus + adjustment corrects back-focus.

You can do this individually for each of your lenses. It will make a difference.
08-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would take time to learn all about exposure control, flash and ambient light balancing and related principles before getting too concerned about minor focus issues. Getting the exposure and flash control right and consistent will reap the most rewards for you I feel.

You're welcome to download my free Guide and Supplement documents about the Pentax flash system, from the link in the my signature below. There is plenty of material about general principles and the P-TTL system that all apples to your camera and flash.
08-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ditto above. Highly regarded portrait lenses actually have a softening effect, imparting a soft glow, as well. Some MFGs even make special 'soft' lenses for use with portraits. The in-focus images are SHARP, but I'm not sure that is an attribute one really wants for portraiture photography.
08-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Ditto above. Highly regarded portrait lenses actually have a softening effect, imparting a soft glow, as well. Some MFGs even make special 'soft' lenses for use with portraits. The in-focus images are SHARP, but I'm not sure that is an attribute one really wants for portraiture photography.

I don't think that's the contemporary style, Ripper.

All the current brands' portrait style lenses are sharp, sharp, sharp.

Skin imperfections are handled in post rather than by smearing Vaseline on the glass during the shoot.
08-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, overexposed, but sharp... maybe too sharp (sometimes brutal)
08-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
It does not matters. If the flash isn't in P-TTL HSS mode, the camera cant go beyond te flash sync speed (1/200s on the K-1). With fixed aperture in Av mode, on ISO100 it makes a minimal ambient exposeur. If it's already overexposed, the flash will make it only worse. HSS enables flashing beyond the sync speed by making micropulses syncronized to the shutter. (At sync sped it's fully opened. Here is an explanation video: Inside a Camera at 10,000fps - The Slow Mo Guys - YouTube)
Thanks claudiu. I updated the firmware on Metz and reset the flash, now there is an option called " PTTLHSS". I am guessing you're referring to this one. I am going to try some new shots today.
08-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think that's the contemporary style, Ripper.

All the current brands' portrait style lenses are sharp, sharp, sharp.

Skin imperfections are handled in post rather than by smearing Vaseline on the glass during the shoot.
Yeah, I guess you are right. I've never gone the Vaseline on a filter route (home made clear cellophane filter worked for me when needed). On DSLR, I find myself still shooting a lot of vintage glass and prefer to minimize the amount of work I have to do in PP, so I prefer lenses that render a bit of softness and glow to portraits. There are still new Portrait specialty lenses introduced periodically by specialty lens makers (Lensbaby,etc.), that render a bit of softness, but you're right, one can achieve pretty much the same effects using Topaz Labs or one of many PP applications with a Portrait/Skin filter.

I guess my mind just reverted back to 'old school' mode.
08-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
Please take a look at these photos and let me know if they are sharp to you.

As far as I can tell, and I did look at your samples on flickr, in all but #4 you achieved critical eye focus, as usually desirable in portraiture, whereas #4 is focussed on the tip of her nose. Which doesn't exactly cry front fous issue (unless you had a great number of misses beyond the samples). The Tamron, as is often the case with dedicated macro lenses, is even clinically, almost brutally sharp. Whether you like that for feminine portraits is a matter of taste or of your goals in portraying; too much honesty can be offending to subjects. (Don't get me wrong, I happen to value honest portraiture.)

Some of your doubts about correct focus may stem from the shallow DOF you are seeing. At your chosen apertures, depending on your model's pose, it is only to be expected that little else than her eye(s) are in focus. Which is why some photographers would be willing to sacrifice a tad of killer bokeh to expand DOF a little.

OT: Yep, (as others have observed) exposure and lighting are noticeably inconsistent, not always flattering, and I, too, would have tried to use more off-centre AF points to improve composition.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 08-11-2017 at 01:51 PM.