Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is that thing called?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

You know, that thing...

I basically want to mount a ring flash on the K-mount end of a reversed lens.

The ring flash has lots of lovely adapters for threaded filter rings, but it doesn't do bayonet mounts...

So what would a K-mount to filter ring adapter be called when it's the camera end of the mount, not the lens end and the female end of the filter thread, not the male end?

I guess it's the opposite of a regular reverse adapter...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Eric

08-15-2017, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know what it would be called, or whether such an item actually exists. There's always DIY. What you could try doing is epoxying a de-glassed filter to a lens rear end cap or, for more security as it will have the spring loaded release pin, a short extension tube. Since you're not going to need the aperture control lever, a plain. ordinary non-automatic extension tube would be all you'd need. Shorter is probably better: three tube sets often have a 12mm tube as the shortest one. You could also use a de-glassed teleconverter, but it is going to be longer than a short tube and will start to eat your working distance, which is likely to be slim to start with using reversed lens techniques.
08-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, the DIY approach may be the best.

Nikon did make such little gizmos, once upon a time. There was the plain one that would mount on the back of a reversed lens, and had 52mm threads. The deluxe version also had a plunger for a cable release so the lens could be held open, and then closed for the exposure.

But I haven't seen any such things in the Pentax universe. Still it wouldn't surprise me if they did have them at one time - at least in M42, if not K.
08-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
An extension tube end?

08-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #5

Or pick up an Auto Bellows K, M or A. The front standard is reversible with a filter thread on the standard backside. It can be removed from the rail so you can use it reversed without the rails. And you would have the rear elements of the lens protected by the K-mount on the standard. You could also stop down the lens with a cable release or the DOF preview (locking) button on the standard.

You might be able to find an Auto Bellows K/M/A with the bellows trashed sold for parts.
08-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cannibalise the mount off a junk k-mount camera...
08-15-2017, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The Pentax 645 ReverseAdapter comes with the adapter for the camera, plus the piece you are asking about. Though I think this is because it is needed to allow the lens to stop down properly.

PENTAX 645 58MM REVERSE ADAPTER OPERATING MANUAL Pdf Download.

You could make one similar to the way this guy made one for this M42 mount lens, using a lens cap & filter:

Possible to mount a ring flash to a reverse mounted Takumar 50 1.4 screw mount lens. - PentaxForums.com

08-15-2017, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #8

I bought one about ten years ago on ebay and paid alot for it. Pentax Colorado didn't even know what it was. It's called a "Reverse Ring Light Holder K" . Pentax part number 30418. I hope this helps.
08-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #9

Or buy a set of ultra-inexpensive extension tubes and glue a step-up/down ring on the shortest tube. These tubes are just rings that screw together like the M42 tubes and only have one male and female bayonet flange that you screw on to the ends of your tube combination.

Like these.
Macro Extension Tube Ring Set For Pentax PK K Mount series DSLR &SLR Camera Lens | eBay

Edit:

Check this thread out - DIY Reverse Ring Light Holder K:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/111810-pentax-reverse-ring-light-holder.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-15-2017 at 05:24 PM.
08-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, so that's a lot of neat information in a very short time...

Though I'll admit a twinge of disappointment that someone with a user name like Thagomizer didn't know what this thing was called

I should have known that Pentax would have made one, just because it seems like something they would have made in the 1970s... they made the copypod, so why not?

I think I'm going to go the DIY route. I think I have an old rear cap I can try, and if that doesn't work, I have a broken ZX5 that Eric didn't even want for parts that has a good mount.

Thanks,

-Eric
08-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #11

I made mine by cutting a mount out of a broken camera. I kept the lens release pin intact. I cut a notch in a 52-58 adapter ring to clear the lens release pin. The 52mm end fit nicely into the mount and the 58mm diameter is very close to the outer mount diameter. Then I used JB weld epoxy to fasten the ring to the mount.
08-16-2017, 03:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Easy way would be to reverse a M42 lens , or a M39 lens or any screw mount lens ( just about )
That way you could screw on a M42 adapter to what ever thread you needed and put your ring light on that .
I dont know if there is a Kmount to screw adapter . (?)

ACTUALLY !!!!! Those cheap chinese tubes .. They actually come apart ..
So you should be able to dis assemble the tubes , and the part that takes a lens .. Well put it on the reversed lens and then see what adapter can screw to that ..
Let me check , I have those nasty tubes ..

---------- Post added 08-16-17 at 08:23 PM ----------

Looks like 60mm thread .. ( Should work just fine )