Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

To my IMHO the Pentax is a learning camera and the canon/nikon is so auto its shoots itself

cheers

08-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eriks Quote
Hi, I'm a photography rookie, and I realise that the cost of lenses will make me bound to the brand I choose to invest in now.

For some reason I have a good feeling for Pentax, but I cannot explain this rationally. So maybe you can help my decision by telling me:

Why Pentax?

Why I should choose Pentax instead of Canon or Nikon or any other brand?

Thanks
If you can stand strong amongst the conformist C****n & N****n fan club with a different camera brand in your hands, cherish at not running with the "herd" want

a robust camera that can stand up to the elements,
lovely ergonomics, feature set and a stunning "kit/beginners" lens
OIS which definately is worth at least 3 stops in hand held shooting
incredibly priced "prime" lenses
just about impossible to get a "crap" picture in the right hands
best priced body - feature for feature - out there

then my friend you can stand proud to be a Pentaxian

d
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, I'm a photography rookie, and I realise that the cost of lenses will make me bound to the brand I choose to invest in now.

For some reason I have a good feeling for Pentax, but I cannot explain this rationally. So maybe you can help my decision by telling me:

Why Pentax?

Thanks
Why Pentax?
Pentax lenses.
There really isn't another reason needed.
08-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bang for the Buck

I bought my K10D in March of 2007. Here was the rational at the time:

95% of the "Bang" for 70% of the "Buck"

Here is the executive summary (full details below):
  • Feature set
  • Handling
  • Price

Tried Nikon D40/D80:
  • Liked the compactness
  • Liked the speed
  • Didn't like the lack of backward lens compatibility at that price point
  • Didn't like the cost of Nikon lenses
  • Didn't like the tinny feel of the kit lens, especially for manual focus

Tried the Canon Rebel XTi (?):
  • Didn't like the way the camera handled
  • Didn't like the tinny kit lens. Found out later that the performance is even worse than the build.

Sony Alpha:
  • Picked it up. Squeezed off a few shots. Set it back down and asked if they had Pentax

Heard about the K10D:
  • Handled a K100 and liked the feel. Was assured that the K10D was a little heavier, but handled much the same
  • Liked better build of kit lens (found out later that it is a good performer too)
  • Liked the backward lens compatibility
  • Like pentaprism rather than pentamirror
  • liked metal as opposed to plastic chassis
  • Like in-body SR
  • Liked sealed body
  • Liked the price (several hundred dollars less than either the Nikon or the Canon
  • Liked the glowing reviews

Again...
95% of the "Bang" for 70% of the "Buck"
This is still true for all the features that truly count.

Oh, yeah...there was aways the "underdog factor" too. I own two Ricoh film bodies (great features, low price), have bought four Mazdas new and owned a Sunbeam sports car in college rather than the ubiquitous (at the time) MGs and Triumphs. I also tend to favor odd-ball lens choices...go figure.

Steve

P.S. Regarding the Ricoh film bodies...I went with Ricoh back when Pentax was one of the top three brands. Ricoh simply had the same/better feature set as a much lower price. Sorry Spotmatic and ME Super fan boys.

08-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I went for Pentax because I didn't want to be one of those guys who buy their dSLR's at Elkjøp.
I like the Pentax brand name, they are the underdog and I found out after I bought my K10D that Pentax has the best price/quality when it comes to lenses. Love Pentax prime's

If you haven't bought a Pentax dSLR? Check out these links:

Scandinavianphoto, K20D body - 7695,-NOK (about 1400USD)

Prodigital2000, K20D body - 1044,-USD (about 6500,- NOK)

I recommend that you buy camera body at Scandinavianphoto or Japan Foto in Norway. Buy lenses and flash at prodigital2000. Have bought lenses, flash and more from them and saved over 1500USD

Both of my K10D's are bought used. One from Foto.no and the other one from ebay. Buy used and use your money on glas

Final tip; don't use akam.no This place is much better, thrust me.

Last edited by NorthPentax; 08-28-2008 at 12:57 AM.
08-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #21
Damn Brit

Because people look at you and say "oh, you've got a Pentax".
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT
08-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Because people look at you and say "oh, you've got a Pentax".
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT
It hurts peoples heads. Especially when they realize its a dlsr.

08-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Why Pentax?

Thanks
Pentax has a long-standing history of outstanding glass. If you can get your hands on an older FA* lens, or an A* lens, coupled with a K20D, you're looking at some of the best image quality out there. The DA*'s are very good as well.

Here are a couple of photos I produced using the lenses below: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/34165-greenland-photos.html

While in Greenland, I participated in a photo workshop hosted by a company in New York; many photos taken my the other members' Canon or Nikon cameras fell short in sharpness and color compared to the Pentax shots. In my option, though, half of everything is the person behind the lens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #24

Original Poster
Hi again!

Thanks for all your thoughs and inputs.
And methaphors... I've never been a Mazda fan, but I've always been fond of Land Rovers. They are not fast, but different and durable. 70% of the Land Rovers ever produced are still on the road, and parts are easily available for even the oldest models.

The backwards compability is such a great benefit. This means that the lenses are not a short term investment, but a long one. I really like that. Secondly, I like metal better than plastic. Built to withstand the elements it seems like a Pentax camera is a better choice when going off the beaten track. Then the quality of the lenses... I've seen some of your magnificent photos, and I do not think any other brand can perform better.

So, dear Pentaxians, I'm convinced. As a start I've purchased a K200D with a DA 18-250 for travelling. The kit should arrive here by mail next week. In addition I've ordered two primes from a New York shop - the FA 31 and 77 limiteds. This deal saved me approx. 1500 dollars compared to buying these at home.

Eriks
08-28-2008, 04:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think you'll be happy with the Kit. Then you'll be in for a real treat when the 31 and 77mm's arrive. Both beautiful lenses. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the new gear and seeing some of the pictures from it.
08-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will second Peter's assessment. Great kit. I think you will be very pleased with your results!

Steve
08-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #27

I chose Pentax because I found a DSLR and kit lens for $430. I knew nothing about DSLRs. Since then, I've gotten lenses and Pentax equipment and gotten somewaht attached. But I've also considered switching to nikon. But I haven't. Why? Click the link on my signature. Those tiny specs that dpreview.com picks on don't matter at all.

Read my signature link
08-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Big I Quote
I chose Pentax because I found a DSLR and kit lens for $430. I knew nothing about DSLRs. Since then, I've gotten lenses and Pentax equipment and gotten somewaht attached. But I've also considered switching to nikon. But I haven't. Why? Click the link on my signature. Those tiny specs that dpreview.com picks on don't matter at all.

Read my signature link
I followed your link and found another gem...

http://junkstorecameras.com/

The cool thing is that I have taken pictures with several of the featured models! (Three to be exact!)

Steve
08-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #29
Damn Brit

OP, welcome aboard, you've got a good kit to start with. I look for to you posting some shots.
08-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin Klein Quote
There is an interesting pentax advertisement. I hope this helps.

http://www.pentaxian.com/pdf/ads/PEN_1327_Lousy_Poster.pdf
I remember that ad! I think it was in a Pop Photo a while back! I think thats why I bought a K100D at the time. I was looking at a D40 but it felt like a toy and didn't have a focus motor inside. Then I read that ad, walked into a store, they had the K100D on sale plus 10% off. The rest they say, is history!