Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #1

Let's talk underwater cases...

The only thing I have found on the forum is this topic from 5 years ago.

Anybody had success with such a thing? I'd like to dust off my scuba diving license and try to use one of my Pentax cameras underwater but I haven't been able to find anything remotely usable with them as an underwater case.
The one used from the guy from the post above is not available on B&H anymore...

Thanx

11-15-2017, 03:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These seems to be a real dearth of such cases. Question is, how would a DSLR compare to something like an Olympus TG-1 or even a GoPro underwater?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2017, 04:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'd say more than dearth it's a complete lack of them...unless you go Canikon of course...

Well, the Olympus is nice for sure, but it's a 12Mp compact camera...and it isn't an expandable system.
Now, it looks like a fun thing to try, but if for a similar price I could get something to fit my K1 or K30 I would be in...
11-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't want to go very deep, and have a "small DSLR," there is this from B&H:

DiCAPac WP-S5 Waterproof Case for Small DSLR Cameras WP-S5 B&H

There may be other soft cases out there, too, that will fit almost anything.

11-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
If you don't want to go very deep, and have a "small DSLR," there is this from B&H:

DiCAPac WP-S5 Waterproof Case for Small DSLR Cameras WP-S5 B&H

There may be other soft cases out there, too, that will fit almost anything.
Nice find! Sure beats out those super expensive (and nonexistent) dedicated cases. Let's hope it's still durable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2017, 01:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
...and would you trust a plastic bag to hold your precious (and expensive) K1 with lens?

Plus, it is stated to work for just a few meters, which is quite useless, unless you are diving into some Caribbean waters where flora and fauna are abundant at just a few meter of depth.

I'm starting to think that my best option would be to buy an used Sony A7 and find a compact enclosure for that...with an adapter I could use my Pentax glass on it, although losing AF could probably be an issue in underwater conditions...
11-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have a look at Outex, their basic version is a blue dry suit for your camera. The ports are glass, I think the DiCAPac's use plastic? Ewa-Marine has bags like the DiCApac but I think with with glass ports. The Outex has an advantage of being form fitting. It looks like they have a kickstarter for a transparent option.

I had considered the Outex for a few years for my k5iis, but a few months ago I picked up a used nikon j1 and its deeply discounted dedicated nikon brand hard case (unfortunately not available anymore). It might be worth looking at the available cases and work backwards. There are Polaroid branded hard cases for P&S cameras (I had considered a Powershot G## model) and a few for older Sony Nex models and a Lumix micro 4/3. I know my J1 isn't the same quality as getting my k5iis underwater and none of the APS-C or smaller models will be as nice as your K1, but for me it was an inexpensive entry to underwater photography that's a step up from most of the underwater P&S models and it should help determine if I want to go whole hog with lights, fancier cases, etc.

11-23-2017, 03:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
This looks like an interesting "in between" solution. I'll look into reviews for it. Thanx for posting it!