Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2017, 02:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Neutral Density filters

Hello there,

I have narrowed down to two manufacturer of 100x100mm square filters and cannot make decision in terms if it is okay to pay premium for one of those.

1. Breakthrough Filters ? Breakthrough Photography
2. Wine Country Camera

I like to know if anyone here uses one of them and how they compare to each other.
Also let me know if anyone has better suggestions than my choice above.

Thanks!

P.S. I lost my ND filter set somewhere, probably somewhere when I took some photographs...

11-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never heard of Wine Country but it looks interesting. I have and love a number of Breakthrough screw on filters. Not cheap but superb workmanship.

I have two 100 x 150 graduated ND filters from Breakthrough and they look to be of the same high quality. The filter holder is still in manufacturing with my order scheduled to ship in 2 weeks. So no help on that except to say the company has been amazing to work with. I ordered one of their x4 polarizers just before a photo trip a year ago. It was out of stock in that size but when I explained I had a trip scheduled they sent me the older x3 version as a loaner with postage paid envelope to return it. I did and received the x4 about 2 weeks after returning from my trip. Amazing customer service.

Not sure that helps except to say you will not go wrong with Breakthrough but from the fine print it looks like Wine Country is using the same glass and process except they are putting theirs into resin sleeves which is interesting.
11-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was really disappointed in the build quality and the image artifacts left by the Breakthrough Polarizer I purchased and quickly returned. I compared it against even an old Cokin and it left more color artifacts. Yes, I told the company. I have a 10-stop ND filter from Haida which is very affordable and has provided me with profitable images.

M
11-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ND Filter

I use a 77mm 6-stop X3 neutral density filter from Breakthrough and am really very happy with it. I was unable to see colour shifts when compared to the exact same non-ND images when I was testing it after purchasing it, so the filter certainly live up to the colour neutral billing. The build quality of the circular versions, by the way, is great, the knurled design makes it really easy to unscrew, which also happens very smoothly on all three my lenses with 77mm thread. I can't see the Schott glass-based filter being anything less than just as excellent for the square versions. The Wine Country alternative looks like a beautifully crafted and well thought-out product, too. Those wood accents! Overall it will be pricier, not sure if you really get anything more for that than what the Breakthrough Photography product offers, though.

11-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

I hate to be contrarian, but I see no artifacts with my Breakthrough Photography circular polarizer and the build quality is second to none. The reason I don't have more filters from them is price... they are pricey. But a really fine quality build. Guess it is YMMV.
11-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Wine Country filters are more expensive but they are tested on 100MPx Phase One camera for critical sharpness and neutrality.
Those wooden "accents" are for the purpose there... they say that there are to better handle the filters when is cold, better to touch wood then metal, but also are decorative.
The cages for the 100x100 glass are also there to protect the glass from fingerprints and in case of dropping them. They also have some kind of protective mechanism that does not allow caged filter to fall out if it is by mistake pushed from the top...

To me Wine Country is very well taught and designed product but also more expensive, especially when you need to get adapters for other lenses. I do think that Breakthrough Photography has also premium product but I cannot find anywhere tests to see before and after sharpness and color cast.

In terms of Polarizer hands down Wine Country has better solution there as their filter is drop in and turned with small wooden handle. This is something that I never saw anywhere so elegant solved, simply brilliant. Is it worth the price? That I do not know...

Still no one was chiming in who has Wine Country filters. I thought some 645Z folks use those but it does not look good. We will see if someone can chime in on hands-on experience with those ones.