Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

1/2 or 1/3 EV stops?

I've searched over the Forums but I couldn't find much information regarding this topic.

My question is, is there any advantage of either setting in the custom menu, to set exposure with 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps? Is 1/3 more accurate, but 1/2 faster to dial in? Or are both just as accurate and it's just there because someone would find either setting prettier?

08-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thought I've used 1/2 ever since I got the K100D, but have recently switched to 1/3, to be able to make more subtle adjustments to exposure compensation.

You should have added a poll with this.
08-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess you said it all: one is faster and the other has more adjustibility.

I am on the lazy side (as of today) and I use 1/2 increments... Actually it is more than laziness. i actually got used to the fractions and I have the impression 1/3s would somehow confuse me a bit.
08-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I guess you said it all: one is faster and the other has more adjustibility.
In practice I have found that keeping the EV comp. button pressed and rolling the dial a couple of times with either of the settings gets me to one end of the scale or another.

One extra click of the dial would take you probably .3 of a second to do, so speed should not be a major factor.

08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bah! Totally forgot I could've added a Poll... it's not doable now, is it?...

I also noticed that you can push EV comp to -/+3 if you're at 1/2 steps, and to only -/+2 if you're using 1/3... although I usually wouldn't need to compensate -that- much.

But what about Sensitivity Steps? Do you set them per 1EV or as the EV setting?
08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use 1/3 - I have +0.7 EV pretty much permanently dialled in, seems to be around the normal "programmed in" underexposure.

simon
08-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have done the same as Simon. My K10D is set at +0.7 EV to compensate for programmed underexposure; therefore I am using 1/3.

08-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
I also noticed that you can push EV comp to -/+3 if you're at 1/2 steps, and to only -/+2 if you're using 1/3... although I usually wouldn't need to compensate -that- much.

But what about Sensitivity Steps? Do you set them per 1EV or as the EV setting?
Yeah, that's about the only advantage to 1/2 steps is if you want THAT much EV comp.

I keep mine in 1/3 steps as my primary adjustments for my lenses are +.3 for my DA zooms and +.7 for my FA primes... that's just kind of how it works out most of the time for my usage. I like the ability to dial in smaller more accurate steps now. But when I first got my Pentax, I used 1/2 until I became familiar with the metering and specific lenses.

As for EV comp, if I'm in a strange or tough situation that requires more than my normal subtle amounts, I realize it's time for Manual Exposure as it's easier to whirl the thumbwheel and dial in differing exposures than to keep setting and resetting the EV comp and checking and readjusting then shooting....

I keep the sensitivity steps the same as EV, because as for me, simple math to adjust ISO and EV in the same number of steps either which way....

08-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I _almost_ wish you could just set it to full stops as even half stops seems like overkill on adjustability most of the time. Though I guess for exposure compensation it would be more important than just setting aperture and/or shutter speed in Av/Tv or M modes.
08-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I keep mine at 1/2 steps because my manual lens are set by 1/2 steps, I would get confused shooting A lenses one way and M lenses the other.
08-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I use 1/3 's all the time for just that little extra control on what I'm doing

It's really each to their own, there's no right or wrong here, just whatever suits your style and workflow.
08-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use 1/3 and have +.3 or +.7 dialed in, depending on the lens
08-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I change as a function of lens type.

KA mount and newer, i.e. lenses with an "A" setting, I use 1/3 stops.

for K mount, non "A" lenses I use 1/2 stop because that is how the lens is indexed. I have found from time to time, some very inconsistent behavior when I use lenses that have 1/2 stop detents, with 1/2 stop AE in the camera
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
I keep mine at 1/2 steps because my manual lens are set by 1/2 steps, I would get confused shooting A lenses one way and M lenses the other.
Same here. Also, I learned the sequence of f-stops and shutter speeds in 1/2 EV steps based on film lenses. I have no interest in having to relearn the sequences in 1/3 EV steps.
08-28-2008, 02:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I use 1/3 EV increments simply because when shooting quickly falling light like landscapes and seascapes, there is a big difference when bracketing compared to 1/2 EV. Old habit but I've always preferred 1/3 stop increments since the days of shooting slide film.

1/3 EV is also useful when doing exposure in controlled studio situations for product shots.

When shooting in SV mode or TAv mode or when selecting ISO manually, it is also good to have a slightly wider ISO increment range, hence 1/3 EV.

The only negative is that EV compensation range is from -2 to +2. It should have EV adjustments to +/- 3 imo.