Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2017, 10:09 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Sharing User Modes

Having a conversation with a friend outside these forums and the idea came up that perhaps it would be a neat idea if User Modes could be exported and imported so that;

a) setting up the same user modes on a second back up shooter would be faster
b) sharing user modes with another snapper could be beneficial to both parties

I'm guessing this isn't a thing that can be done, I suggested I could probably build a spreadsheet around such a concept where certain fields and cells are protected and others blank or pulldown lists to input data... and then i wondered... has such a thing already been attempted/done on these forums for our Pentax members here? A template perhaps that interested parties could download, fill out and share with other members?

Otherwise I might make one (when I have time... prolly over the festive holiday season...)

Cheers,

Bruce

11-28-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a fine idea and I haven't seen it done before.
11-28-2017, 01:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Some things can't really be passed from one user to another...

For instance, I've got my second User mode set to UniWB, and had to calibrate the WB on my camera... it would be different for another camera.

The other one I've set it for manual flash with manual lenses (M mode, auto WB since I shoot RAW, 1/180s default shutter speed), and it's like two minutes tops to set.
11-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like a great idea for a google doc!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2017, 03:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It would be a great feature to have. Not just user modes, but all customisation would be neat. I made the mistake of leaving my K-1 without a battery overnight - all the settings and file-naming reverted/reset to factory. I was surprised that it was stored in volatile memory. It took a couple of hours to change everything back to where I like it, and still the file-numbering refuses to take a hint from existing SD Card; this means I have photos with same filename as earlier ones...

I suspect that there is a single config file holding all this info in the camera on-board memory, just the problem of:
  1. Reading data from the camera
  2. Decoding the data *
  3. Changing settings as required *
  4. Encoding the data *
  5. Writing data to the camera
(* to allow off-board configuration)

I can't imagine it would take much effort from Ricoh to add the code to save and load the config. Provided they documented the format, then I'm sure there is enough skilled programmers amongst the Pentaxian community to create a configuration tool. For serious/professional users with multiple bodies, this would be a godsend: @kenspo - can you ask the question?
11-28-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm glad the idea is well received. Like i said, it could be awhile till I get around to making this as I am busy with the run up to xmas, but if anyone else wants to have a stab at this idea then totally please take the idea and run with it!
11-28-2017, 03:23 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thumbs up
11-28-2017, 03:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is there a chance do we think of exporting user modes (and thus allowing to import back in) ever being a feature released in a firmware update? Does this concept need mentioned in the firmware wishlist forum?

11-28-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Is there a chance do we think of exporting user modes (and thus allowing to import back in) ever being a feature released in a firmware update? Does this concept need mentioned in the firmware wishlist forum?
While I think this is a neat idea, and with the technology in our cameras today a very viable option, I don't ever see this being implemented. As it stands, there are a lot of K5 owners begging for a firmware update for PLM.

I wonder if this could be done through a firmware update, or if this would require something further?
11-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are other priorities ATM IMHO...
Resources are a finite quantity in any company... can't do everything at once.
11-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

This is an interesting conversation.

Camera manufacturers should take a lesson from music synthesizers. Saving patches to removable media has been commonly available since approximately 1983. I use the Yamaha DX7 as the benchmark for common; some earlier very expensive synths could save to disk or cartridge. Editing settings on a PC screen is also a common way to adjust synths.

My K-1 custom settings include Milky Way (astrotracer on) and wildlife (TAV, fast shutter speed, SR off).
11-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This is an interesting conversation.

Camera manufacturers should take a lesson from music synthesizers. Saving patches to removable media has been commonly available since approximately 1983. I use the Yamaha DX7 as the benchmark for common; some earlier very expensive synths could save to disk or cartridge. Editing settings on a PC screen is also a common way to adjust synths.

My K-1 custom settings include Milky Way (astrotracer on) and wildlife (TAV, fast shutter speed, SR off).
I used the save my EQ and DSP adjustments for the MP3 Players (or DAPs as we call them) on spreadsheets, so I could share what settings I was using with other audio geeks and if anything should go wrong with my DAP I could tune it back to the way I like it.
11-30-2017, 01:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
@kenspo - can you ask the question?
I always pass on what I see & read
03-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Finally the idea has come to life:
The Spectacular K-1 User Mode Sharing Service! - PentaxForums.com