Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could approach it a few ways. In-camera HDR is the easiest and may not give the best results. The moon will be moving and in-camera HDR doesn't always look right.
I would instead bracket my exposures (metered + Under and over exposed and then blend those in post. You could use HDR software or layers and masks in Photoshop or similar application.
Sometimes when I bracket with the intention of HDR or manual blending I'll decide that just one of the exposures gives everything I need after some adjustment and I can forgo the extra work to merge exposures.

My advice is to try as many different approaches as you can come up with and decide later what worked best for you.

I'm also fortunate with lots of dark wild country nearby that I wouldn't want to get stuck in too. I only own 4wd or AWD cars because sometimes here I wouldn't be able to leave my driveway without it (or chains which are a hassle).

12-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Matt, according to the owners manual for my K-30, it's possible to superimpose images in-camera. I've never tried it.... yet. Maybe it might be of help in this situation. There's a whole lot about this entire subject (astrophotography) that's so foreign to me. Kinda' exciting in a way. I've come a long way since buying my first DSLR back in 2014! And.... I've still got a million miles to go! If it wasn't for PF, I'd still be floundering in pixel land!
12-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can even stack in Microsoft ICE, it won't do what deep sky stacker does but it is also free and easy. I must second the download of Stellarium, it is a pretty cool tool where you can look at the sky at a future time or date, or even location.
12-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Matt, according to the owners manual for my K-30, it's possible to superimpose images in-camera. I've never tried it.... yet. Maybe it might be of help in this situation. There's a whole lot about this entire subject (astrophotography) that's so foreign to me. Kinda' exciting in a way. I've come a long way since buying my first DSLR back in 2014! And.... I've still got a million miles to go! If it wasn't for PF, I'd still be floundering in pixel land!
I haven't used that feature except to smooth moving water in daylight when I don't have a ND filter handy. It might give you decent star trails, simulating a longer exposure if that is what you want. If you want a clearly visible Milky Way, I kind of doubt it's the right tool. If you take individual images you get more options for processing (stacking, blending, etc) in post but by all means experiment and see what works the best for you.

12-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Matt, according to the owners manual for my K-30, it's possible to superimpose images in-camera.
You don't want to superimpose images in camera, Dewman, you want to blend them on a computer.

For instance,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/357142-action-blending-foreground-night-sky-using-astro-tracker-pentax-k1.html