Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anybody actually buy gear at Wolf/Ritz?

Just curious. I like having local stores that carry some Pentax gear (and some of the Wolf/Ritz locations here do), but there's just no way I can pay the prices they're asking and support them. I don't mind paying a little extra for shopping at local stores, but the prices are just completely out of line here.

For instance, shopping for a AF-FGZ360 flash. They go for something like $170-ish from Adorama/B&H. Wolf? $249.99. I asked if they'd consider dropping the price a bit since I would prefer to support a local store, but they wouldn't. I just can't pay a 50% premium like that just to be nice to them.

Seems like ALL their Pentax gear is list price and not coming down. Do any of you guys actually buy from them?

08-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The man that manages the closest Ritz(I assume he's the manager, he's certainly the most knowledgable there) is a Pentax user and he and I had this very discussion. When I told him the DA 50-135 sells for $750ish at B&H online versus their $999 he was shocked and said he'd buy it from B&H too. I'll get little things from them that aren't too much more expensive (he's acquiring a spare battery for me) but the big expensive stuff I'll order elsewhere.

Last edited by mel; 08-28-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: left out stuff
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not since my daughter stopped working there (Ritz)...
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Personally, I like dealing with BH and Adorama far better than Wolf/Ritz. The service is better and the prices are decent. All Wolf/Ritz/Camera World (all owned by the same company) is hurt the local brick and mortars. They operate like WalMart with Mall prices.

08-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Got a Circuit City near you? Mine had 2 of those flashes left at $120 apiece a couple months back.
08-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I bought my K100D Super from the Wolf close to me back in March but when I went back to look for a new bag they had cleared out a lot of stuff, put in more kiosks to print pictures and had more cell phones, GPS units and printers than they did cameras. The largest bag they had would hold a film SLR, a couple of lenses and a few other trinkets but not much more. When I asked one of the sales people about larger bags, I got an indifferent attitude and a point toward their stack of catalogs. I ordered the new bag from Adorama.

CW
08-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #7

I've bought a fair amount of stuff. My local store is really good. They've done some sample film rolls on unknown cameras I bought to check them out. They've also got a great selection of Pentax stuff. They'll price match other brick and mortar stores too, although sometimes B+H or Adorama are still cheaper.

08-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #8

I have bought single inexpensive items like filters, rubber hoods, and bags; basically things that are not cost efficient to buy on line or I really need to see it in person. It looks like a big part of there business is photo and print processing. Camera sales seen to be limited to the unindoctrinated.
08-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Seems like ALL their Pentax gear is list price and not coming down. Do any of you guys actually buy from them?
Not Pentax stuff per se. Their Lowepro actually is about the same as eBay, basically same price as best I can find with no shipping. So I buy stuff like that there to support my local shop. I've bought a couple of inexpensive Lowepro bags there in the last year plus smaller items such as batteries, film, etc. They now actually keep a couple of 36 exposure rolls of Reala there because they know I'll come in and get it when I need it. I like that.

My local Ritz uses Fuji Crystal Archive paper which is ... good stuff. They probably all do. So I do prints that count there. Larger format stuff, stuff people pay for, stuff I frame and want to last 100 years. More and more I am using them for the "good stuff."

My Ritz actually has some decent techs and they are very helpful at times in terms of making adjustments. They are quite free with making the second run (free) prints if you are not happy with how the image turns out. On 8x12s and such, this is quite nice.

Also Ritz has some deals on 4x6/5x7/6x8 formats - bulk buys - that really make those formats quite cost effective.

Not bad overall. I like them and they like me. It's nice to have someone to go to other than Walmart/K-Mart/CVS. They are always making nice little accomodations and frankly I don't give them so much business that it matters. But then again, I tell everyone I talk to that that's who I use in town.

I really do believe in supporting my local business, even if it is only for the "small" stuff. The alternatives stink. If you have one in your neighborhood, next time you go to make a small purchase, see if they have it or can get it at the same or close enough price.

Get a little relationship going. It will inure to your benefit in the long run.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 08-28-2008 at 02:52 PM.
08-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #10

I've bought a couple of lenses from a Wolf Ultra (or whatever the big, fancy ones are called): FA* 28-70/2.8 and an FA* 300/4.5 for about $1500 total (!). They were brand new and I nearly dislocated my shoulder reaching for my wallet. I'll admit that despite the amount, that check was pretty easy to write... So all that said, sometimes you can come across gems in some unlikely places.

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Just curious. I like having local stores that carry some Pentax gear (and some of the Wolf/Ritz locations here do), but there's just no way I can pay the prices they're asking and support them. I don't mind paying a little extra for shopping at local stores, but the prices are just completely out of line here.

For instance, shopping for a AF-FGZ360 flash. They go for something like $170-ish from Adorama/B&H. Wolf? $249.99. I asked if they'd consider dropping the price a bit since I would prefer to support a local store, but they wouldn't. I just can't pay a 50% premium like that just to be nice to them.

08-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Got a Circuit City near you? Mine had 2 of those flashes left at $120 apiece a couple months back.
$120??? Dude, I got ripped off. They charged me $136.
08-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Actually, I tried to purchase my first *ist DS from Ritz in Palm Springs. The person across the counter was a young male, looking like he was just at legal age to work. He proceeded to tell me that they didn't have any in stock. I said okay, I would like to order one. He then said that they didn't order from Pentax anymore and that Pentax was out of business. Everybody that is serious about photography only buys Nikon or Canon. I replied that they weren't out of business and that since they had other Pentax products in the store, I insisted that they order one for me. He continue to make fun of me to the other sales people and then he got to see what king of temper I have. Lucky for him that I didn't jump across the counter. Needless to say that I didn't order the camera, but I did call the store manager the next day. I went there about a week later and saw new faces there. I asked if John was working today. They didn't know me and proceeded to tell me that John had been laid off.

Morale of the story: Be nice to your clients, and if your not, someone else will. In my case Cameta Camera of New Yokk got my order.
08-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Actually, I tried to purchase my first *ist DS from Ritz in Palm Springs. The person across the counter was a young male, looking like he was just at legal age to work. He proceeded to tell me that they didn't have any in stock. I said okay, I would like to order one. He then said that they didn't order from Pentax anymore and that Pentax was out of business. Everybody that is serious about photography only buys Nikon or Canon. I replied that they weren't out of business and that since they had other Pentax products in the store, I insisted that they order one for me. He continue to make fun of me to the other sales people and then he got to see what king of temper I have. Lucky for him that I didn't jump across the counter. Needless to say that I didn't order the camera, but I did call the store manager the next day. I went there about a week later and saw new faces there. I asked if John was working today. They didn't know me and proceeded to tell me that John had been laid off.

Morale of the story: Be nice to your clients, and if your not, someone else will. In my case Cameta Camera of New Yokk got my order.

Good for you!
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nico Quote
$120??? Dude, I got ripped off. They charged me $136.
The guy originally said $40 each, and I said "I'll take both at that price, but I know they should be over $100 each"...almost made it happen...
08-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you are someone that buys when something is first released, Ritz prices are not out of line. If you are someone that waits and orders when the street price stabilizes, then the Ritz prices are outrageous. Ritz seems to stick to the MSRP until at some magic point in some accounting software and then slashes the prices on the new old stock. A local store offered a istDS for $275 a few months ago, another had a FA 100-300mm at $80, and something else for something lower, I can't remember what it was. It is worth cruising through your local Ritz just to see if there is a old gem under the counter. Strangely, the old stock is never on the web site.

Ritz has a couple of things going for it if you make really expensive purchases: no tax , no shipping charges for on line orders over US $100, and their expensive but incredible, you break it we replace it warranty. I might invest in this if I had young kids or was into carrying the camera during outdoor sports, mountain biking, skiing, caving, rock climbing, ... where the risk was pretty high

Thank you
Russell