Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2017, 08:05 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Water Crystal Art at -30C (Without Sticking Your Tongue to the Easel)

Tis the Season here in the Northern Hemisphere at any rate for Jack Frost to start producing his Window Art (Snow Flakes are for a Pay scale Higher than mine). Youse Upside Down People in the Southern Hemisphere might try getting some one to push you into the Chest Freezer with a Mirror and see what happens.

Ingredients: Macro Lens , tripod (optional) Simple PP program (optional) If its your home Cloths (Optional) -20C Outside and a Kitchen or Bathroom Window etc.

I used last year a DFA 100mm WR , Mono pod (Free handed a couple) partially clad and -30C outside. Picasa PP

Following are a few examples - First shot aux Natural ; Second shot Colour added contrast button pushed and a secret ingredient that I may very well get the NOBLE PEACE PRIZE for in Peace and Creativeness category. I will disclose it if their is enough interest in this form of art.

Also the last photo is of a 40" X 30" Canvas print that I had made of one.

This is a Show and Tell Thread !

Last edited by honey bo bo; 05-29-2018 at 10:04 AM.
12-17-2017, 11:50 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A few more...

Nice shots! I enjoy attempting to get frost shots but I have to wait for the right conditions here in southern Michigan. Here are a few of my frost shots, all taken with the K-3 and the Tamron 90 macro. I've since acquired a K-1, the Pentax D FA 100 WR and a very basic macro rail, so I'm looking for another opportunity soon.

12-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
Nice shots! I enjoy attempting to get frost shots but I have to wait for the right conditions here in southern Michigan. Here are a few of my frost shots, all taken with the K-3 and the Tamron 90 macro. I've since acquired a K-1, the Pentax D FA 100 WR and a very basic macro rail, so I'm looking for another opportunity soon.

You'll notice in the left bottom quadrant of the dark blue shot there is depth to the photo this is caused by frost on a second pane of double slider windows. This is something to try for if you have a set up like that at your house. I have more examples in my PF albums

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-17-2017 at 01:02 PM.
12-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
You'll notice in the left bottom quadrant of the dark blue shot there is depth to the photo this is caused by frost on a second pane of double slider windows.
I didn't notice that and I don't think I've seen that myself. I believe the frost is always just on the inside pane here.

12-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I didn't notice that and I don't think I've seen that myself. I believe the frost is always just on the inside pane here.
Both are sliders and about 35 years old (leaky) and due for replacement this coming year. That probably is the reason so I may have one more winter to get some depth to the Frost and high energy bills. I notice in yours and mine that the UV Blue overpowers the shots even when there is a sunset or rise or colour from some other source in the background light. (Your first Shot).

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-17-2017 at 02:50 PM.