Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
so far i am not inprest

ok first i am NOT noking Cannon

i just started a job where i am doing some retuching for a stdio that is doing there seinior portats ect.... and they use the top of the line Cannons (they just ordered the brand new one yesterday.) and i think that 5G-8Gs is WAY over priced.
now what i am seeing is banding, the shdows seem chunkey the noise at high ASA is not pleasing and looks ugly the color just duse not seem right. the worst part is that the eyes are blochey.

i shoot with the K10D and K100D and both seem BETTER in all aspcts and i payed about 1500 for both.

now i COULD be wrong and this is just how i see things

08-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #2

It's Canon, if we+re talking about cameras
Cannon is manufacturer of cables, connectors and switches. They invented XLR audio&video connectors
(altough many people think that actually Canon invented them )
08-30-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just goes to show you that money doesn't bring talent.
08-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Just goes to show you that money doesn't bring talent.
well the person i am working for is EXTREMELY talented and has been shooting for over 50 years. so it is not there shooting. i told them that they should get a K20D and a M, A, FA 50 F1.7/ 1.4/1.2 hell get 10 of them LOL . i was also telling them a bout the limited lines also

they are VERY conservative in there shooting witch is cool

it just blows my mind that a camera could cost that much and do what it duse

08-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
Cannon is manufacturer of cables, connectors and switches. They invented XLR audio&video connectors
our right Canon not Cannon
08-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
for exaple a photo like this i shot with my K100D M 50 F1.7 you can see the stuff in the eye and this is a low res photo.

but with the ones i am seeing when working, every detle in the eyes of there photos it all mush. i do not have any of there photos becuse it is a privicy issue and righfully so. but i be PISSED if i payed that much and it did that to me.
08-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
.... and they use the top of the line Cannons (they just ordered the brand new one yesterday.) and i think that 5G-8Gs is WAY over priced.
Man you are sooooo behinde. Where do you work anyways? The 5G-8Gs is like a prototipe from like 3 years ago! (when they were kinda sorta thinking about maybe upgrading the 5d line . They waaaay skraped it when Nikkkon didn't come out with a real shooter to chalenge any of the Japanese companies.

The gun you're looking for now is the the 5Dz. It's still kinda slo at only 20 shots per second. But it can cary some huuuuuuuge glass dude. You can zoom right in at your target.

Anyway - good luck! and happy shootin!

Blistering Barnacles
** Proud Cannon Owner **
Lifetime Member of the NRA

08-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
y would u want to shoot shuch a pretty gal in the eyes?

Happy Six Shooter
** Proud Cannon Owner **
Lifetime Member of the NRA
08-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This thread made me lol a little
08-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This thread makes my head hurt...
08-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Just goes to show you that money doesn't bring talent
Interesting commment. [I agree by the way] They say people with talent can shot a good picture with just about any camera. Its like Tiger Woods, yes he uses the best equiment but give him my clubs and he would still shoot lights out. Everyone complains so much about each others brands.. This one shoots the best.. this one falls short of this and everyone forgets 90% of the results is the guy behind the camera and understanding what the equipments limitations are for any given shot and adjusting... I know lots of people who have golfed for 50 years and still can't hit the shot required... When I started this HOBBY I had no idea what the hell I was doing.. Point shoot and hope to turns out.. [in 99% of the time it did not] Oh I know, "its that dame equipment" After shooting for 10 months I am now up to 15% looking ok and still learning this whole process... I seen a great photo taken with a Iphone camera... in a photo mag... and it looked great! I know, its the equipment... I hope I get it one day and 50% of my pictures are worth saving.. but I also know it has more to do with me then the equipment I use. Yes I know there are professionals out there who demand the best for their shots and they too complain.. "if this camera only had this option" The Best make their equipment sing and push it to the limit, always demaned more of themselves to improve...

Oops" wrong thread... I just went throigh a couple of thread questioning our decision on Pentax and got carried away.. sorry Cheers JIMBO
09-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One can do creative work with any instrument or tool. Jerry Uelsmann produced transcendent images with an Argus C3. Native American artists create pottery masterpieces with mud, twigs, crushed plants and cowchips -- no potter's wheel, no kiln. I don't sound too bad on a cigar-box slide guitar. Understand your tools and yourself, the strengths and limitations.

A few years ago, when megapixels were very very expensive, I bitched to a UC Berkeley photography professor that real photography required film and silver particles and smelly chemicals, that 'digital imaging' just didn't have the resolution nor discipline to be considered photography. He reminded me that resolution has nothing to do with art nor artifice, that some of the most valued and significant photos are almost formless blobs of grey dots. Indeed, graininess was long a token of authenticity and drama. And isn't Lomography now a respected field?

So I keep my 1mpx Sony DSC-P20, which can perform some nifty high-contrast tricks. And I play with pinholes and plastic lenses and crap optics on my K20D. Yet I've spent a LOT these last few weeks, on old Takumars and Meyers and Ennas and FSU (Russian) glass, trying to assemble a couple workable kits of crisp lenses. So I'm a hypocrite too. So sue me.

Yes, nice tools are nice to have. I sound better on a steel-body Dobro tricone than I do bottlenecking on that cigarbox guitar. My K20D, with just about any good lens, will run circles around my 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 or my old Minox, or any Lomo. Would I like to own a digital Hassy with some nice glass, for which I'd have to sell a couple houses and my own soul, if any? Sure, and my little 1 GHz sublaptop Sony Vaio runs faster and does more than the huge 1 MHz desktop Heathkit H8 I built from a kit in 1980, but most of my time on either has been spent keying-in words and numbers.

Nicer tools let us do many things faster and better, but they don't necessarily force us to sit back and think about how best to transcend the limitations.
09-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
I thought that Cannon made bath towels...
09-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Heck, even a Pentax can take a bad picture (of a Cannon, go figure!)

I'm not sure the point of this post, but it's obvious you were actually not "inprest" [sic] with the skills of the photographer. But you're trying to make it a "Canon" bashing thread, which is stupid. I got great shots with Pentax, and when I switched to the "other" brand (other white meat?), I still get great shots.

If someone can't get great shots with the EOS-1Ds MKIII, then they're just a horrible photographer (there is someone on the Canon forum - POTN, who fits this category, unfortunately) If you can get good shots with your K10D (or K20D/*ist DS), then you're a good photographer. Case closed...

Now here is a better Cannon shot -
09-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Exactly.

I get great shots from an istD, and a K10D. I also get great shots from a D1 and D1H, both under 3 mp.

Its all in the wrist.

Dave