Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exhibition lighting - DIY project

Just on the off chance there's anyone (I bet there is ) who knows this stuff ...

In the UK when exhibiting 240v/120v lighting is inconvenient to use ie in outdoor marquees or just not available. So I've been looking at 12v battery driven lamps, probably on a flexible stem and fixed with a clamp. They are expensive just had a quote for 4 x 5w lamps with battery and charger for £550 !! So I thought DIY solution ...

1) 12v led array (probably circular) 5000K to 6500K colour temp or maybe some form of cluster
2) 12v battery (probably lead acid) with sufficient rating to drive multiple arrays
3) So form of driver unit to interface between battery and LED array
4) heatsink (probably)

Then the idea is to buy a flexible stem 240v lamp with clamp. Remove the bulb unit and fashion the led array etc in its place and feed 12v wiring down stem to battery that would sit behind the screens.

That's the starter idea. Looks like it could be done cheaply and be a safe, effective solution.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

01-30-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #2

Try a store like Ikea. Many of the led lights are already 12vdc, just don't use the transformer. The light fixtures are already made and they don't cost much.
01-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Exhibition lighting - DIY project
Try a search for 12v LED flexible strip lighting . You might find some thing there.
01-31-2018, 01:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lake Quote
Try a store like Ikea. Many of the led lights are already 12vdc, just don't use the transformer. The light fixtures are already made and they don't cost much.
I hadn't thought of that approach. In fact as I edit this, I realise this is an excellent route. Thanks...

---------- Post added 01-31-18 at 08:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
Try a search for 12v LED flexible strip lighting . You might find some thing there.
Thanks. I have looked at these but so far I haven't managed to 'design' then into an arrangement that might work. I did think about an overhanging bar with LED strips underneath, suspended over my stand, but discounted it. However, as I write this I'm thinking again ...

Last edited by BarryE; 01-31-2018 at 02:03 AM.
05-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For those interested: I bought two, cheap LED lamps that came with 240v-12v transformers.

I bought a small, portable12v lead acid battery with suitable capacity. Cut the the transformer lead and wired it into the battery, isolating the lamps from the battery with a constant current driver. Works a treat.

I now have a cheap (ish), portable and safe low voltage solution.

Last edited by BarryE; 05-16-2018 at 06:48 AM.