Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #1

Lens Aperature Screw Up

A few months ago I noticed my Pentax ist DL was acting a bit strange. Any of the lenses I attatched suddenly didn't work unless I changed the aperature on the lense to "A" which I assum is "Automatic". When on this setting, I can change the Aperature on the camera by using the Av button.
However, if I take the Aperature on the lens and set it to anything other then A, be it 22, 16, 5.6, etc. the camera refuses to shoot a picture. The display on the camera shows "Av--" instead of "Av(insert Aperature here)".
I don't know how to fix this issue, I've tried reseting the camera settings a couple of times. It used to work...I don't understand what's wrong. Could someone please help me? I have some lenses which don't have the "A" setting on the aperature ring so now I can't use them.
Any adivce would be wonderful, thank you.

08-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You need to go into the menus and look for an option called allow manual lens, or allow aperture ring or some such, on my GX-10 it's called "use aperture ring", this needs to be enabled.
08-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
You need to go into the menus and look for an option called allow manual lens, or allow aperture ring or some such, on my GX-10 it's called "use aperture ring", this needs to be enabled.
I went into the menu and tried to look for that setting but I was unable to see it.
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
I found it after taking a second lok it was called "using aperature ring" after all. Thank you sooo much! This caused me a lot of frustration. Much much appreciation!!!

09-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DivinusAssassin Quote
This caused me a lot of frustration.
A frustration remover!!!
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/istDL_web.pdf

I have a copy of mine in a folder called "Pentax". Don't even have to leave the computer and root around for my paper copy. Keep a lot of other stuff like my own notes, informative posts from this forum and other places, all my receipts (you need a scanner), etc. in there.
09-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Bill, that is always GOOD advise. I keep all my pdf manuals and documents in a My PDF directory.
09-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

But it still shows Av-- , because the DL has a crippled K-mount and cannot know the aperture of a manual lens.

09-01-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Someone familiar with that particular body might wish to briefly explain the necessity for and method of manual metering with the lens off the "A" position.

There's really no point or benefit to removing the aperture ring from "A", by the way. In fact, it just adds an extra step to the shooting process.
09-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Someone familiar with that particular body might wish to briefly explain the necessity for and method of manual metering with the lens off the "A" position.

There's really no point or benefit to removing the aperture ring from "A", by the way. In fact, it just adds an extra step to the shooting process.
Noted, and with most of my lenses I would have to agree. However I have one all manual lens, so without finding out how enable to aperature ring I couldn't use the lens.
09-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Can anyone give me a good reason why "aperture ring enabled" isn't the default? On every Pentax camera I've owned, I've had to go in one time and enable that function, and I've never turned it off. What's the rationale for having OFF as the default?

That's one of the first question that new Pentax owners ask, and seeing as how Pentax touts their ability to use all their old lenses, you'd think ON would be the default.
09-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax engineers took a close look at the issue and then did an extensive market survey of users needs. They decided that the thousands of shooters that don't go on forums would be so confused on how to use their old manual lenses, they would put them on Ebay for us to buy. They would then buy all new glass for their cameras.

They also determined that the forums would all have this question posted on a monthly basis which would inevitably have the same answers and comments on each thread. By doing so, they could create a sense of Deja Vu to older shooters who knew the answers. This would cause confusion in those users who would think they have again stepped back in time. They would then go out and buy another camera because they thought it was 2006 and were anxiously waiting for the K series bodies to be released.

Now I know why I have 3 cameras and keep wanting more....

Seriously it has to be to help lens sales. Ever read the manual on setting the aperture ring? Tough to find and you would have no idea what the setting is for when you read the manual. I wonder how many non forum newbies have sold their Pentax gear for this reason and now shoot Canikon?
09-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
(snip)
Seriously it has to be to help lens sales. Ever read the manual on setting the aperture ring? Tough to find and you would have no idea what the setting is for when you read the manual. I wonder how many non forum newbies have sold their Pentax gear for this reason and now shoot Canikon?
Funny stuff, Peter. You're right about the manual. It is hard to find, even when you know it's there.