Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #1

Guide lines for shooting moon for contest entries

Hello to all,
I am not new to photography but I am new to digital. The photos in all of the contests which I have reviewed since becoming a member have been exceptional, but I have a few questions regarding this months contest. I tried unsuccessfully to shoot the Eclipse earlier this year but the moon and clouds did not play well wit the settings I had entered into the camera. Some guidelines for new to digital photographers would be nice with each months contest. I know that any subject matter is a learned experience yet it would help those that are new to this realm to have a chance to get a great photograph for submission. I know the location and the subject matter and the composition are all things that are learned and are personal preferences but the camera, and settings can keep new photographers out of the running. A little help on each months settings before the completion date would help all of us a lot in getting that elusive great shot.
My thoughts on the latest contest would be that of course location and timing are paramount but how to expose for depth and clarity in the camera? Please PM me or let the whole group know your secrets. It would be nice that we all learn with each contest and we all get better.
Please let us all know how it is done each month.

02-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's hard to give advice on moonscapes because the Moon is always changing. New (no Moon), to first quarter, to half, to full, to third quarter to new moon again and each of the phases will affect the image. During the new moon the stars will show but the exposure needs to be very long, making the stars 'trail'. On a full moon, the Moon is so bright that it washes out the stars. For the guidelines of this contest I'd suggest going out around the 20th of February. That's the first quarter so you'll have some moonlight to illuminate the landscape but still have skies dark enough to let the stars show. Dress warm. If you can, set up and compose the shot while it's still light enough to see. Use a wide lens. The 18-55 is a good moonscape lens. Use a remote release to minimize camera shake. If you don't have a remote, the two second timer will work. Close the aperture one or two stops. Most lenses are soft wide open. Check your images and make adjustments as needed. Digital is nice because you can immediately check your work.